Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about the Model S charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The EVSE credit is affected (negatively) by AMT (At least it was for 2010). If you're subject to AMT or close you should consider that. Of course if you need an EVSE then you're going to get one, but it's not a simple tax credit. The EV purchase credit is not subject to AMT.

A question is what the EVSE credit will be for 2012; it looks like it won't be clear what to buy in terms of charging station until then.

At the moment thanks to excessive tax-preferred income I'm having enough trouble generating enough income to use the full EV purchase credit (that's the George W. Bush tax cuts for you), so I'd rather get the charging station and the EV in different years... but I really doubt that will be possible due to lack of information from Tesla.

I sure hope Tesla will start selling parts like a regular car company. The new Tesla connector looks small enough that maybe some old avcon cars could be adapted to use the Tesla inlet. Roadster conversion to the new inlet seems simpler then it would be to J1772. That way the Roadster & Model S owners can have one easy home charger. The more cars which can use the new stuff the better.

Yeah I would like to wait to jump to the new Tesla connector to be mounted in my Roadster as opposed to any J connector.

Though those Avcons are huge (especially with their cam-style locking swing), so you can probably fit any new connector in their plug-hole.

That's a good question. The onboard charger is located under the rear seats. How much power do you expect gets sunk as heat? (What's the anticipated efficiency?) Given the location, it not obvious that there is a path for proper air cooling. Is it not enough to be thermally anchored to that large aluminum chassis? I suppose it would be possible to add the charger on the motor/inverter cooling loop, but I haven't heard anyone say anything that would indicate that was the plan.

The Leaf charger is 85% efficient according to multiple tests (including Consumer Reports). I would expect the Tesla charger to be in a similar range - between 85 and 90% efficient. I think that this includes heat loss in the batteries during charging and any cable losses.

This means that a 10KW charger would put out 1000-1500W of heat. Think blow dryer.

The Leaf charger is 85% efficient according to multiple tests (including Consumer Reports). I would expect the Tesla charger to be in a similar range - between 85 and 90% efficient. I think that this includes heat loss in the batteries during charging and any cable losses.

This means that a 10KW charger would put out 1000-1500W of heat. Think blow dryer.

It looks like you're attributing all of the loss to the charger. The 1000-1500W of loss is across ALL components in the charging circuit not just the charger. The closest device I can think of that would have similar loss to the charger is a solar inverter; these typically have 94-97% efficiency. Not nearly the heat output of a blow dryer.

Last edited:
Well, I guess this is an example of HPC2:
hpc2.jpg

(credit to VFX for the picture.)

Hi,

Please forgive a basic question. :redface:

For overnight charging at home, why go to the expense of buying and installing this charger? Why not install a NEMA 14-50 outlet? Won't the Model S's onboard charger be adequate for overnight charging at 240 volts at a reasonable amperage?

Thanks.

Larry

The HPC would allow faster charging. For example, if you get home from work and you have to leave a few hours later for some event, then you'd be able to charge up enough to attend. Definitely something that can wait 'til the car is paid for and to see if there's really a need for it.

You could also make it available for fellow travelers. :biggrin:

Hi,

Please forgive a basic question. :redface:

For overnight charging at home, why go to the expense of buying and installing this charger? Why not install a NEMA 14-50 outlet? Won't the Model S's onboard charger be adequate for overnight charging at 240 volts at a reasonable amperage?

Thanks.

Larry

The main advantage is that if you have fellow Tesla owners visiting, you can get them charged up and on their way quicker. This also applies to your own car as mentioned above.
It also looks slicker and is an all in one unit if that matters that can be permanently installed. You're right though in that you can get by just fine with a NEMA 14-50 outlet. That's what I have.