Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions For Uk Model 3 Owners (delivery Complete)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While other new owners raced off in excitement I went over the car (black) very carefully. I pointed out some small scratches on the rear corner and a tiny fingernail size dent on the passenger door where the moulded crease is.
Booked in Milton Keynes this week to get it sorted. I expect I’ll get a loaner car as they said it was a paint fix for the scratches?

So do check the vehicle very carefully and don’t feel pushed to leave early. Ultimately you can tell the hand-over guys you’re going to park out front and check it more.
At what point do you "sign" for accepting the car?

If they fit it then it may already be classed as a safety feature which you have disabled
The noisemaker that will be legally required to be fitted is allowed to be turned off by the driver if deemd unnecessary, according to the rules being brought in. The legislation is to have one fitted, it doesn't have to be turned on - suspicion is that it won't be "turn it off and leave it off".
The legislation applies to newly homologated vehicles from July 2019 and existing models from 2021 - Model 3 is an existing model so there's no legal requirement to fit AVAS for almost two years.
The similar US rules come into effect in September 2020 - presume that's the reference to September in the thread unless somebody knows better?

Reactions: m3gt2
The turn off function is temporary and it must auto turn on next time car is used.

Like other safety equipment supplied as standard with a car, so any Model 3 built after 1 Sep, whilst they may not be a legal requirement to fit, insurance and legal will have a field day if an incident occurs and it is found that a safety item that had been defeated contributed to the outcome.

So, picked up my Model 3 Performance yesterday (25/9/19). I charged the car, overnight to 94% to allow TeslaFi to calibrate. At 94% charge I was getting 292 mile range showing. Using simple maths I calculate that my battery is capable of about 310 mile range at 100% charge. However, this would appear to be 19 miles below the WLTP range currently stated by Tesla - 329 miles, which would be a 6% reduction in overall range already on delivery day! Can this be correct?

Has anybody else done this calculation and what range do you get compared with the stated Tesla range for the appropriate model?

6% is nothing really. Expecting the numbers to match WLTP is unrealistic, since they are basically laboratory testing conditions. WLTP is supposed to be more accurate that previous tests, but is not a guarantee.

End user experience will be completely variable depending on temperature, driving style, etc. You might find that the 292 range does not go down in a predictable way.

So, picked up my Model 3 Performance yesterday (25/9/19). I charged the car, overnight to 94% to allow TeslaFi to calibrate. At 94% charge I was getting 292 mile range showing. Using simple maths I calculate that my battery is capable of about 310 mile range at 100% charge. However, this would appear to be 19 miles below the WLTP range currently stated by Tesla - 329 miles, which would be a 6% reduction in overall range already on delivery day! Can this be correct?

Has anybody else done this calculation and what range do you get compared with the stated Tesla range for the appropriate model?

There is no single figure that can represent your range. Even with a predicted range of 310 miles you could in practice get 240 or 330+ depending on the many many variables. I have recorded mileage for petrol cars which can range, at the extremes, between 26mpg to 50mpg for the same car! Gradients, speed, acceleration, unnecessary braking, weather, mix of road types, traffic (which can be a benefit when slowing you down!).

My SR+ is actually capable of achieving the advertised range but only when driving in a relaxed manner on a mix of country roads that preclude higher speeds. If I drive a significant proportion of my journey on the motorway then the range is obviously less. You will quickly develop an understanding of your own range after you have driven a number of routes. I recommend A Better Routeplanner (also available as an app for phones). You can tweak the parameters and it's predictions can be very accurate and reassuring. Its also fun for me to change the EV model in abetterrouteplanner to see how my long distance journeys are going to quicker than a Jag iPace despite having one of the most "range limited" Teslas!

How are people finding the ride quality? I'm on 18" aero and the ride is really not as comfortable as I would like.

I don't think I would even mind if it was just quite firm, but I find the car just jitters nearly the whole time I am driving it. It is also made worse that often a bump on one rear wheel doesn't just get absorbed but seems to cause some lateral rocking of the whole car.

As comparison I came from Golf GTD with adaptive suspension. It wasn't luxurious, but many of my local roads that felt totally calm to drive on are now sending constant little bumps to my seat.

Another comparison is my child seat, it often rocks sideways quite aggressively when that never occured in the Golf (highlights that lateral feeling).

I've started to wonder if the 20" ride better (had a short test drive in them), but of course didn't get to drive on my roads.

I've lowered tyres to 38psi, but still no where near where I would like it to be.

Car feels lovely on brand new tarmac.

The turn off function is temporary and it must auto turn on next time car is used.

Like other safety equipment supplied as standard with a car, so any Model 3 built after 1 Sep, whilst they may not be a legal requirement to fit, insurance and legal will have a field day if an incident occurs and it is found that a safety item that had been defeated contributed to the outcome.
There is the permanent turn off option....

6a00d83451707369e201b8d2833f44970c-800wi

My 100% range is supposedly 230 (fluctuating), so 10 short of the SR+ EPA range (which is I believe what the car will show, rather than the WLTP range).

My understanding is that the range shown is the rated range, based on measuring the output from the batteries, and *should* in theory show the full EPA range at 100%.

You get different information shown depending on screen used:
Main battery range: Rated range, a pure calculation based on power output from cells
Energy use chart: Estimated range based on past energy use based on previous n miles
Range available once at destination when route planning: Estimation based on previous driving energy use, route profile and weather

So again my understanding is that my car showing a range of 230 against the battery icon is saying that it's outputting slightly lower power than expected, but it's not a lot. The range shown in the chart is the expected range based on my past usage.

Tesla Fi right now has me looking like this:

Charger Connected
76 / 81 %

Rated Range
178.71 Miles

Estimated Range
154.34 Miles

I'm guessing the "estimated range" is what TeslaFi thinks I'll get best on my lead foot.

I honestly don't care. Daily commute takes 24% - I keep it on % display as I find easier to work out. I'ts about 60-65 miles