Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quick rant! (About an Idiot at 5 AM)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok so to make a long story short me and my family are on the way to Charlotte NC for my wife’s job. Now let me remind you the entire time that we’ve been on the highway we haven’t had a problem with other drivers. So as we are merging onto the highway with tons of semi trucks surrounding us. My wife was merging with the high beams on and so some idiot in one of the semi trucks turns on this white blinding light bar that he has on the back of his truck, my wife instantly goes “WTF is his problem?” and I’m like “He did that because you had the high beams on” and my wife says “Well he didnt have to be a d*** about it.” So I just laugh it off and as we are passing the guy he turns on his interior lights and gives us the finger and let me remind you it was exactly 5:26 AM!!!! Like it’s to early to be giving anyone the finger. But yeahh that was just a quick morning rant...I needed to get that out...lol...

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Huh, must be those nice southern manners coming out :p

Normally it’s mw flipping them off now it’s the other way around..........and sadly it’s also happened again by some guy in a red Hyundai Elantra. My wife says it must just be the way that she drives......But as I told her the next person to give us a “friendly” gesture will be getting one right back. I don’t care how cold it is I’ll be sticking my hand out the window this time.....lol:D

• Funny
Reactions: DOCAL
My buddy had an awesome way to handle this, if you can control your instincts. Next time someone flips you off, blow them a kiss. The reaction is usually pretty hilarious.
I've done that. It's fun.

For the OP: given your wife asked the question, at appears she didn't know her high beams were on. Does that mean she also didn't turn them off in a timely fashion when she got reverse-flashed?

I wouldn't be surprised if that driver had been on the road for several hours and was getting a bit grumpy. I can see him arriving at his destination and griping about the "d*** that pulled onto the highway right behind him with brights still on." For those truckers, their work "day" usually starts when evening rush hour ends.

In other words, whether 5:30 AM is too early to flip the bird is very much a matter of perspective.

Good on you to just laugh it off and drive on, though.

Sorry to hear that, OP.

Some people go through life very unhappy. I've remind myself to feel sorry for them, and to replace my anger with pity. I don't let them make me unhappy, nor do I want to make things worse for them. I can't imagine going through life with that much hostility and negativity.

I realize that sounds like New Age crap, but it works for me.

... the high beams are “automatically dimmed”, right? Tesla needs to make this feature work properly! I always have to operate the high beams manually as the auto is way too late at changing,
I seldom drive at night compared to my day time driving. Is there a visual indication that auto dim is working? I have it set to AUTO and I see the blue high beam (I believe) which I believe shows high beams are on. Does it go out (change from blue) when it dims?

It should have a blue icon with an A in it to show your high beams are on but on auto. When it lowers, the blue icon will go away. It should be all automatic although on country roads I find it turning on and off too sensitively to road sign reflections and not fast enough for actual oncoming headlights.

Just curious: for those reporting that auto high beams are not working to your satisfaction, do you have adaptive headlights? Mine has been working flawlessly and respond very quickly to both oncoming traffic and when I am closing in behind another vehicle. Occasionally they will be triggered by reflective surfaces (such as traffic signs), but other than that I can't complain.

Too many people these days are oblivious (or just don't care) to their high beams being on and blinding everyone in front of them. And then get pissed when someone is annoyed by it? Sigh.

We weren’t pissed off about anything. We just think the semi driver could have calmed his “tits” and waited a few seconds. And BTW if we were pissed about anything we would have slowed down and gave him the finger back.

Reactions: kavyboy