Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[R+T] Electric Torque Is No Replacement for a High-Revving Engine

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You should take your car out on a street one day. It's quite liberating.

You can use it to drive between cities, or just drive around and see stuff like mountains and oceans and forests. And if you do that at night you can even see stars.

So much more fun than keep driving around in a circle on a track, which seems to be all you're ever doing with your cars.

lol keep dreaming...
you won't even get to see the LED tail light of my S1000RR, in less than 3 mins on any track your battery will overheat and going to limp mode. that is just a fact lol

EV car has its uses, that is why I ordered one, you know, getting groceries etc.

Electric Torque Is No Replacement for a High-Revving Engine

"The Model 3, which in its current pre-production form looks like a cross between the first-generation Nissan Stanza hatchback and the unlamented 1999 Mercury Cougar, is supposed to have all sorts of surprise-and-delight features like a heads-up display and special doorhandles. If some of the early scuttlebutt is to be believed, it's also likely to be quite quick, at least from 0-60. "

"So why aren't enthusiasts flocking to electric cars the way they're clogging up dealer waiting lists for Hellcat-powered Chargers and Challengers? Sure, a Model S isn't exactly the perfect trackday car. In the hands of Nurburgring resident Robb Holland, it could only manage a "bridge-to-gantry" lap time of approximately 10 minutes. Given that I've run a 9:15 bridge-to-gantry in a 163-hp Mercedes-Benz SLK200 rental car, I can't say that I'm impressed by that time. I'm also not surprised. Electric cars face some real issues with heat dispersal when they're asked to haul ass for any significant length of time. "

"The electric motor, whether it be DC brushless as in the Prius or AC induction as it is in Teslas, is strongest at low revs. The faster it spins, the more friction and other factors combine to rob it of its mojo. Fearsomely puissant at rest, the performance-oriented electric car becomes feckless and overheated at high revs, "

"Don't believe it. Your heart and soul know the truth. Something important will be lost the day that the last fast-spinning gasoline engine leaves the showroom. There is music in the royal roar of the supercar or sportbike that cannot be duplicated by stators and inverters. Music, and spirit. The electric motor might start off strongly, but a brilliant gasoline engine, like a brilliant story, doesn't start off with a bang and then trickle out to irrelevance. It encourages you to keep your foot down, to hold out for that rush to the corner exit or the finish line, in the certain knowledge that the best is yet to come. "

As a current Model 3 reservation holder, and owner of many high-rev N/A high performance coupes. I can confirm the facts and opinion expressed by the author of that article were spot-on.

EV has its uses, for me it will be for commute and doing chores like getting groceries, and use AP when stuck in traffic etc. it will never replace my high-rev N/A high performance coupes, b/c, well, it can't.

yep, sold the RR too as it just sat in the hangar. The Zero was way more fun to ride. It does not need to warm up before I hammer on it. It does not fry me at traffic lights like the RR did. It flicks so easily side to side not having all the inertia in the rotating assembly. I guess if I dusted off the leathers, I'd really miss the RR :)

Troll or not, I gotta agree that electric really does not work well on the track. Of course, I think M3s are p mobiles on the track. If you are going to get on a track, lets see some hp and downforce please.

Reactions: Red Sage
For most people who dont need to track/race a car. I think the Tesla M3 is the best bang for performance when you need it, and luxury and earthfriendlyness when you dont. There definitely will be a place for high rev turbo cars still, but not for what most people in the world need.

Reactions: Red Sage
(a) 3 mins, 3 and 1/2 mins or 4 mins, not a big difference.
(b) the fact is there are simply not enough cooling. (c) even modern ICE cars go limp, let alone an EV car with close to 0 cooling capabilities.
(a) The fact is your data is at best old. It's more like 10-15 minutes for me.
(b) Agree. The car delivered by Tesla isn't a track car. Most cars people bring to the track aren't either...until they tune them.
(c) Ok, so I think you're saying here that Tesla is better than you were suggesting.

You're kind of all over the place.

It's kind of a stupid discussion I think... EVs are not good to run on tracks but great for daily driving. This is driven by physics. Also it's a matter of personal taste what's better. I happen to like both and know each is for a different purpose. For my daily driving, I love my Tesla. But I don't hate gas engines (I like them). They offer great benefits that EVs will likely never match (or at least in the foreseeable future). I don't see why people must bash the other side... why not like both for what they are?

Reactions: ChadS
Don't believe it. Your heart and soul know the truth. Something important will be lost the day that the last fast-spinning gasoline engine leaves the showroom. There is music in the royal roar of the supercar or sportbike that cannot be duplicated by stators and inverters. Music, and spirit.
Hah hah hah. Hilarious and pathetic nonsense from pitiful patrons of antique machinery.

Common sense says if I'd ordered myself a brand spanking new car waiting in line before its even released, I will not then go on to waste my brain cycles trying to show that what I ordered is not as good as something else.

Just give it up mate, you are convincing no one here.

Reactions: FranKim
EV has its uses, for me it will be for commute and doing chores like getting groceries, and use AP when stuck in traffic etc. it will never replace my high-rev N/A high performance coupes, b/c, well, it can't.

It can't replace them, but neither can the ICE performance cars remotely match the stomach flipping push back into the seat of a ludicrous launch, which is an awesome experience. They are different, but there is no way electric cars are in any way boring.

any stock gt-r, 911 turbo, same price range as p90L, can pretty much match it for 0-60, out pace it in 1/4 and more. basically pretty much any high power AWD DCT cars can give p90L a run in the straight line.

and any decent litre bikes can pretty much do the same. 9.6-9.8s in 1/4.

EV is not that fast, just letting you know.

It can't replace them, but neither can the ICE performance cars remotely match the stomach flipping push back into the seat of a ludicrous launch, which is an awesome experience. They are different, but there is no way electric cars are in any way boring.

• Disagree
Reactions: AUSinator