Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Radar Detector installation fail

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took my car to a reputable audio place and they told me they could install the cable for my Uniden R3 with no problem. I did tell them about the YouTube video that shows proper installation but he went on to tell me that he has 20 years experience and apparently didn’t need the video. Unfortunately I didn’t have the detector with me as it was in my wife’s car and so he installed the cable and I headed home. When my wife got home and I plugged the detector and it worked just fine. Unfortunately, now the car does not. I’m getting warning messages about regenerative braking and traction control been disabled. I will have to contact him tomorrow and see what he can do. I paid him $160 just to put the cable in but I thought he would know what he was doing. Even when I disconnect the detector, the warning messages do not go away. Any suggestions?

I highly doubt his install caused this.

There have been a couple reports of things like this happening with recent updates.

I’d google that issue.

Possible shutdowns, reboots or waiting might clear it.

Sure he didn’t take it out for a joy ride?

If by chance it did cause a problem I’d remove it before showing it to Tesla because they might void your warranty.

Hi again everyone. I actually had found a couple of very helpful YouTube videos that showed step by step routing the cable from the detector down the passenger side A pillar and below the glove compartment finally terminating at either the car lighter or the USB power. Those are the safest places to tap. Unfortunately the shop I used refused to look at the video insisting that there 20 years experience trumps a YouTube video. Yes, I should have left right then. But the guy said he worked on Bugatti’s, Lambos etc. in hindsight, I should have known better. The Tesla is is an EV and the electronics are sensitive. Tap into the wrong wire and you will have the same thing happen to you as did me. Anyway, I took the car back to the guy and told him what happened when I plugged the R3 in. The errors that suddenly appeared. I insisted that he remove the wire where he tapped and repair and shield the existing line. Then I showed him exactly where to tap into power. (The right side of the center console near the bottom. I also showed him exactly where the car lighter port was since he told me the car didn’t have one the first time he installed. He opted to tap into the line leading to the car lighter. It now works perfect. Comes on only when I enter the car and turns off after exiting. What a hassle though and who knows if there will be any irreparable damage from his earlier work. It was an expensive lesson plus I still had to pay the original $160. I share this with all of you so you don’t make the same mistake. If the installer has never worked on a Tesla, I recommend walking but if you are too lazy to find someone else, at least force them to watch a YouTube video on the matter.

As an aside, I have only heard bad things about tapping into power at the mirror. Don’t do it.

EBF8-D379-7-AB5-4-AF8-B676-118149-FB550-B.jpg

(Please disregard the messy garage, lol)

Last edited:
Hi again everyone. I actually had found a couple of very helpful YouTube videos that showed step by step routing the cable from the detector down the passenger side A pillar and below the glove compartment finally terminating at either the car lighter or the USB power. Those are the safest places to tap. Unfortunately the shop I used refused to look at the video insisting that there 20 years experience trumps a YouTube video. Yes, I should have left right then. But the guy said he worked on Bugatti’s, Lambos etc. in hindsight, I should have known better. The Tesla is is an EV and the electronics are sensitive. Tap into the wrong wire and you will have the same thing happen to you as did me. Anyway, I took the car back to the guy and told him what happened when I plugged the R3 in. The errors that suddenly appeared. I insisted that he remove the wire where he tapped and repair and shield the existing line. Then I showed him exactly where to tap into power. (The right side of the center console near the bottom. I also showed him exactly where the car lighter port was since he told me the car didn’t have one the first time he installed. He opted to tap into the line leading to the car lighter. It now works perfect. Comes on only when I enter the car and turns off after exiting. What a hassle though and who knows if there will be any irreparable damage from his earlier work. It was an expensive lesson plus I still had to pay the original $160. I share this with all of you so you don’t make the same mistake. If the installer has never worked on a Tesla, I recommend walking but if you are too lazy to find someone else, at least force them to watch a YouTube video on the matter.

As an aside, I have only heard bad things about tapping into power at the mirror. Don’t do it.
where are you located? im having big trouble with this, got the r3 as well.

what wiring did you use?

I get that same exact set of errors weekly. I doubt that had anything to do with your install. You can just reboot the whole car (power off) and they'll go away. The SC told me it's a known issue.

I t was more than coincidental that the errors only occurred once the radar detector was installed and turned on. You’re not alone though. The shop didn’t believe it either so first I showed them the normal operating screen and then I let him plug in the detector and he immediately got the same exact error. Once the rewire was completed, there were no errors.

I t was more than coincidental that the errors only occurred once the radar detector was installed and turned on. You’re not alone though. The shop didn’t believe it either so first I showed them the normal operating screen and then I let him plug in the detector and he immediately got the same exact error. Once the rewire was completed, there were no errors.

Really like to know where he initially tapped. Was it the mirror?

The errors were definitely triggered by faulty install. I know this because I had tried tapping the light blue wire behind the left kick panel like in the YouTube videos for my V1. What I did wrong was when I loosened the bolt behind the dead pedal for ground wire, I did not retighten it enough after I was done. The loose wires would trigger the errors OP was getting.

After tightening the errors went away, but not before Tesla was notified by the car itself. They scheduled service appointment to look at the errors and I went ahead and told them I had attempted V1 install and gave up after I couldn't find the right wire to tap. He did some inspections anyways and found no issues.

The tech also advised me to just route a power cord through the panels and into the cigarette lighter adapter in the center console; also advised to use a adapter splitter if I need to plug more devices. This method is what I'm using now. While it's not the prettiest, it does at least cause no issues with warranty.

• Informative
Reactions: mswlogo