Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Radar detectors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most previous forums state radar detectors are ineffective in Model S due to metal layer in the windshield. Is it still true for 2017 Model S?

I have a 2017 Model S 75D (May delivery), and it has the reddish tint in the windshield. According to Valentine 1's website, those "solar films" will block most of the radar signal. I tend to ask the service center next week when I go to get mine uncorked, but I suspect the best option would be an external radar/laser antenna.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
They seem to change the coating on the windshield like twice a year. So it’s really hard for someone over the Internet to tell you if your car windshield will be suitable.

The best litmus tests are:
(1) put some water on your windshield in indirect sunlight. Look at it at an angle. A coated windshield will have an obvious purple/red hue to the glass.
(2) attempt to use a garage door transmitter or a toll pass transponder directly held against the windshield. If those work, your windshield probably doesn’t prevent radar.

They seem to change the coating on the windshield like twice a year. So it’s really hard for someone over the Internet to tell you if your car windshield will be suitable.

The best litmus tests are:
(1) put some water on your windshield in indirect sunlight. Look at it at an angle. A coated windshield will have an obvious purple/red hue to the glass.
(2) attempt to use a garage door transmitter or a toll pass transponder directly held against the windshield. If those work, your windshield probably doesn’t prevent radar.
My 2017 Model S has red hue on the windshield but IL toll pass works through windshield! How?

My main concern has always been the difficulty in detecting lasers... It's the new thing and harder to beat.

Yeah laser is a tricky animal. Unfortunately a radar detector won't help against laser. By the time it goes off (if it goes off in the first place, and often times it won't), the officer already has your speed and you're toast. The trick to laser is using a laser jammer which prevents him from getting your speed until you slow down and kill your jammers. So long as you pick a good jammer and install it properly, it works very well.

See my article on police laser for more info about how it works.

I've tested a few Model S's recently and laser jammer heads fit very well into that opening in the grill area. You'll want 3 heads up front, two pushed out towards the headlights and a third in the center near the T. I recently did an article covering the best laser jammers as well if you want more info about that.

Most of my driving is along country roads and waze is not useful in such situation.

Right, it's all about layers. Radar detector, laser jammer, and waze. They all work together in tandem as a complete kit. No one part of the puzzle can give you complete protection

Vortex, Welcome to the site, question, when you say 3, for the model S, 2 near the headlights, can you show a pic?

Thank you!

You can check out a sample ALP / Model S install here: 2017 Tesla Model S, ALP 6 head

P_20170928_165123.jpg

P_20170928_165137.jpg

That install is with a smaller TX head in the center. Not everyone needs the TX head instead of the traditional head in the center, but it does fit nicely into a Model S's grill so it's a good way to go. :)

My AntiLaser Priority install guide goes over all the details regarding placement and installation so definitely read over that for complete info.