Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Radar losing calibration?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a used 2017 Model S 75D just about a month ago from a 3rd party dealership, and have been having issues with AP warnings. When purchased, the vehicle had HW2.0 & MCU1, with FSD purchased.

AP/Cruise was unable to be used, as there was a warning showing on the dash. According to Tesla, it needed the radar recalibrated as it must have "lost it's calibration." No big deal, I was planning on having it upgraded to HW3.0 & MCU2, so they could just do that at the same time. The closest location to me is ~240mi, so scheduling service isn't as convenient as it could be.

They upgraded the vehicle the first week of this month, and while in service, they checked that the radar unit, the bracket it mounts to, as well as the harness was fine. They then calibrated it, and the warnings were gone. After an additional issue that arose with the camera calibration being stuck at 0%, I was able to use AP for 2 weeks without any problems. Then all of a sudden, moments after enabling AP, I got a take over warning, and now am stuck again with the "Autopilot safety/convenience features unavailable. Features may be restored on next drive" message.

I submitted a new service ticket, which allowed me to select mobile service, but they said it has to go back to the SC, and that the radar has lost it's calibration again. When pressed about this just being performed 2 weeks prior, they said the radar unit may have to be replaced and then calibrated again.

With Tesla moving to a single stack with V11, the radar is going to be obsolete soon, and I would rather not shell out the money. I tried searching but haven't found any answers. Has anyone seen repeat issues with this?

Your experience seems similar to mine.

05.30.2017 - TACC intermittent - AP ECU module replaced. Harness was pinched too.
08.03.2017 - Camera replaced.
12.05.2019 - Inline Triple Camera
05.15.2020 - Replaced & updated AP Module

I wouldn't count on V11. There's no telling when Tesla will upgrade the older models.

The annoying part is not having a "dumb" cruise control default when AP or FSD goes out. Seriously! How hard is it to program to have a default where there's a big warning on both screens that you only have cruise control and not AP/FSD?