Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Radar Removed from Model S now too...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem is if Tesla gets it really wrong, we all suffer or could be injured. Based on my experience with the Y, they clearly haven't gotten it right and removing the radar made it far worse. How long should we all wait until Tesla gets it right.
This is a big problem - there's no timeline. They can keep kicking the "better with software updates" can down the road forever. The fact that they can't replicate AP1 highway performance (which I have and love BTW) at this point doesn't bode well.

As for the "humans can drive with eyes so camera-only should work ..." there are lots of other animals that also have eyes (and some better than ours) and none of them can drive a car.

I fondly recall driving I5 from CA northern border to Portland when about half way there encountered truly thick dense fog that brought visibility to about 1/8 mile or even less, and I had recently received the update where radar first ”showed” the car in front of the car in front of me. I was cautious about driving at all, let alone on AP, but AP worked perfectly and made two hours in fog reasonably easy and comfortable vs I would have pulled over and spent the night somewhere. One of my favorite Tesla experiences!

Reactions: zoomer0056
I’m scheduled to take delivery of my S tomorrow. I was really bummed with not getting the new headlights until I found out it also meant no radar. I had a 21 y with radar that I traded for a 22 vision. The AP in the 22 was unusable. I personally wouldn’t be buying this S if it didn’t have radar.

It doesn't matter in the end, all Model S with vision capable cameras will have their radar disabled once the FSD software is pushed to all. So for a period of time until they declare FSD out of beta you will have radar but only until then.

The article say
"As of mid-February 2022, all Model S and Model X built for the North American market utilize Tesla Vision. All Model S and Model X built for the North American market prior are equipped with radar."

so any way to know if car was built in Feb if it has it or no? or Tesla regardless of hardware if exists the software will not use it?

So because of radar you drove in conditions where you couldn’t see. I am not convinced this is a good thing.
I just had an experience like this in Cali. Hit some really thick fog at night on 99S towards Sacramento. No issue with FSD on my Model S with radar. The radar had no issue seeing cars and the lane markers well ahead of where I could see them with my eyes. Driving with radar that can penetrate weather is a lot safer than driving with just cameras that replicate what a human can see.
I mean planes have been using radar for years to make flying safer. It's not like Boeing or Airbus one day said, we have autopilot, let's get rid of the radar on our planes and just use cameras.

Wait a minute! I remember receiving this update that used radar to see vehicles ahead of the one immediately in front of me by bouncing radar under the first vehicle. It was AMAZING to see good depictions of multiple cars in front of mine. Is this going way with vision only?

But wait, Elon is developing "x-ray vision" for the camera-only systems* which will see more than one car ahead using peering through windows, reflections from surrounding car bodies, their rear view and side mirrors, even clouds in the sky! After all, there ought to be some photons which bounce from the car in front of your car that bounce around and eventually hit one of your car cameras. It's "just software" to figure out which photon came from where.

*Coming soon, 3 months maybe, 6 months for sure, by the end of the year (really), subject to validation and government regulation so nobody really knows when it will be available to customers, but all cars sold are fully capable.

😎

Most likely once the FSD stack is pushed down they will drop the radar since apparently the FSD stack doesn't use it.
When FSD is fully released, yes. Until then, I think it will be a long time until they turn off radar for cars that have it when using Autopilot. It behooves them to continue to mine data from both versions so they have a comparison of what is and is not working better or worse than before.

I would imagine (and I hope) our legacy cars continue to use radar through at least 2025. Wild guess of course. Could also be "2 weeks" so who knows.

My car goes in on 3/9 for a radar replacement as it is intermittent. When I spoke with the Store Manager he commented that the radars were being disabled with the rollout of FSD so he was surprised they were replacing mine. As stated....who knows....