Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

radar turns on immediately after opting out of FSD beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's known that installing FSD beta software disables radar for Autopilot and TACC, but I was surprised to find my radar immediately re-enabled when I opted out of FSD beta via the in-car button (restored 90mph limit and minimum following distance of 1).

I had assumed leaving the FSD beta program would require a software update before radar was re-enabled, but this is not the case. When I emailed [email protected] to be removed from the FSD beta program, they promptly pushed a software update to my car and said to also opt-out via the in-car button. I opted-out via the in-car button, but a failing 12V battery is preventing the software update from installing, so I am currently on 2021.36.8.5 (FSD BETA 10.4) with the ability to use radar-based Autopilot and TACC (to be clear - I can no longer turn on FSD beta).

Ideally, Tesla would allow switching between FSD beta and the radar-based Autopilot/TACC. I'm ok with testing FSD beta while I drive alone, but in my experience, the vision-only Autopilot and TACC are unusable with passengers in the car.

Attachments

• FSDbeta radar.jpg
    FSDbeta radar.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 922
It's known that installing FSD beta software disables radar for Autopilot and TACC, but I was surprised to find my radar immediately re-enabled when I opted out of FSD beta via the in-car button (restored 90mph limit and minimum following distance of 1).

I had assumed leaving the FSD beta program would require a software update before radar was re-enabled, but this is not the case. When I emailed [email protected] to be removed from the FSD beta program, they promptly pushed a software update to my car and said to also opt-out via the in-car button. I opted-out via the in-car button, but a failing 12V battery is preventing the software update from installing, so I am currently on 2021.36.8.5 (FSD BETA 10.4) with the ability to use radar-based Autopilot and TACC (to be clear - I can no longer turn on FSD beta).

Ideally, Tesla would allow switching between FSD beta and the radar-based Autopilot/TACC. I'm ok with testing FSD beta while I drive alone, but in my experience, the vision-only Autopilot and TACC are unusable with passengers in the car.
How long did it take to hear back from the Beta team? I’m trying to opt out so I can factory reset and sell my car (buying a new MYP), but anytime I’ve emailed them, I get zero response. Thanks!

Reactions: Dcam and jsmay311
If a purchase FSD on my Model 3, will it turn off the radar for my car for Autopilot? I heard that FSD uses all-vision now, but I'm not sure if that's ONLY for the special beta testers? Or is that for anyone who has FSD?

I'm concerned about phantom breaking if I buy FSD and use Autopilot.

Thanks!

How long did it take to hear back from the Beta team? I’m trying to opt out so I can factory reset and sell my car (buying a new MYP), but anytime I’ve emailed them, I get zero response. Thanks!
I wouldn't worry about going through the opt-out process if you're selling your car. Just prepare your car for resale according to Tesla's instructions and you'll be set.

I emailed on a Wednesday and got a respond back on Friday. I used the subject line "Remove FSD for VIN ******" (use the last 6 digits of your VIN).

Last edited:
If a purchase FSD on my Model 3, will it turn off the radar for my car for Autopilot? I heard that FSD uses all-vision now, but I'm not sure if that's ONLY for the special beta testers? Or is that for anyone who has FSD?

I'm concerned about phantom breaking if I buy FSD and use Autopilot.

Thanks!
Radar is only turned off once you join the FSD beta testing and get that software installed. I originally purchased FSD in 2019. My Autopilot continued using radar until I opted-in to the FSD beta program and received that software update.