Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Raleigh, NC waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I figured we should have our own thread, instead of clogging up the Charlotte, NC Waiting Room. As many of you know, in August the Raleigh Sales Center lost their storage lot, which put a huge damper on their ability to deliver cars, and has caused a lot of delivery dates to slip. They have a new delivery manager, Mike, who just started last week and is working hard to rectify the situation. You can read a little more about that over here: Raleigh (Non) Delivery Experience.

Anyhow, all the folks at Raleigh Sales that I've met have been super cool and are working hard to get everyone their cars. They lost some delivery people when Tesla did its workforce reduction in June, and that combined with the storage lot issue has been a double whammy. Even though my delivery date has slipped twice (8/10 -> 8/20 -> ?), I'm trying to stay positive and cut them some slack.

If you are waiting for a new delivery date after having one cancelled, you should call or stop by and talk to Mike. He has some ability to prioritize what cars get put on the trucks to come up from Charlotte. Apparently, if your car is not on the "Active" list (which can happen after a cancellation by your IDA?) you might not automatically get on the next truck that isn't full, so best to check in with Mike. There is still some uncertainty on scheduling the trucks, since distribution handles that, but they are working to get this process more streamlined. (Plus, sometimes the truck driver doesn't have enough hours to get the truck all the way to the destination, although Charlotte to Raleigh is pretty short.)

You also have the option to go to Charlotte for a delivery, but you'll have to pay in advance, since they can't handle money there, thanks to the lame dealerships lobbying the DMV to deny Tesla more than one licensed location to sell cars. Apparently, the dealerships may also be trying to buy up parking lots in Raleigh to prevent Tesla from getting one.

All of the above is what I've been able to glean from talking to various people at Tesla and elsewhere. Hopefully I didn't get anything majorly wrong, but none of this should be construed as official Tesla info.
Interesting: Maybe that explains the large number of Model 3s on a used car dealer's lot on South Wilmington Street.

Hey Raleigh Team, I got my S 3 weeks ago (sorry I know this is model 3 forum but this is only Raleigh specific thread I could find). I’m still having a temporary tag. It will expire in a week, and they told me in delivery day that they would take care of the plate.

I still have not received the tag, and not sure what to do. Anyone got a delivery from Raleigh with temporary tag, how did you handle this?

Thanks a lot!

Hey Raleigh Team, I got my S 3 weeks ago (sorry I know this is model 3 forum but this is only Raleigh specific thread I could find). I’m still having a temporary tag. It will expire in a week, and they told me in delivery day that they would take care of the plate.

I still have not received the tag, and not sure what to do. Anyone got a delivery from Raleigh with temporary tag, how did you handle this?

Thanks a lot!

Far as I know everyone gets a temp tag, since Tesla has to register the car after sale.

The issue is they seem to have (at least during the end of Q3 rush) not bothered to inspect them either- which is needed to get real plates.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread- where they texted me a week before the temp tag ran out, asking me to go get it inspected (at a 3rd party Snappy Lube off Leesville)- after which they did rush paperwork to get me the "real" plate via FedEx.

Could be something like that, or could be some other totally unrelated bit of paperwork incompetence.

I'd call Tesla Raleigh and see what's up if I were you.

Far as I know everyone gets a temp tag, since Tesla has to register the car after sale.

The issue is they seem to have (at least during the end of Q3 rush) not bothered to inspect them either- which is needed to get real plates.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread- where they texted me a week before the temp tag ran out, asking me to go get it inspected (at a 3rd party Snappy Lube off Leesville)- after which they did rush paperwork to get me the "real" plate via FedEx.

Could be something like that, or could be some other totally unrelated bit of paperwork incompetence.

I'd call Tesla Raleigh and see what's up if I were you.

Thanks for the reply! They did the inspection at the delivery day for sure.

Raleigh People,

I was scheduled for a home delivery of a Mid Range M3 12/16 at noon, but yesterday when I called to ask a few questions, I was informed that that date was not correct. And it would really be the 26th before the car would be available. When I asked why the delay, I was told "Our logistics are slow as snails". Which was funny, but also just a way to get me off the phone. I ordered on October 23rd, so I was 5 weeks ahead of the deadline. But I'm now only scheduled to get the car 4 days before end of year. I have a VIN, so I feel like the car is real, I just don't know where it is really at.

I know the snow storm as caused some delays, but not 10 days worth.

Anyone else in Raleigh getting delays that long right now?

Raleigh People,

I was scheduled for a home delivery of a Mid Range M3 12/16 at noon, but yesterday when I called to ask a few questions, I was informed that that date was not correct. And it would really be the 26th before the car would be available. When I asked why the delay, I was told "Our logistics are slow as snails". Which was funny, but also just a way to get me off the phone. I ordered on October 23rd, so I was 5 weeks ahead of the deadline. But I'm now only scheduled to get the car 4 days before end of year. I have a VIN, so I feel like the car is real, I just don't know where it is really at.

I know the snow storm as caused some delays, but not 10 days worth.

Anyone else in Raleigh getting delays that long right now?

I got delayed, but that was due to a crack in the windshield that was found a day before the delivery date.
Now I'm trying to figure out 1. If I can just take delivery and have it replaced later 2. can they get a windshield in to replace asap or 3 find a different car.
I realized these guys are swamped, but the communication on their end isn't great.

Who have you been dealing with?

I got delayed, but that was due to a crack in the windshield that was found a day before the delivery date.
Now I'm trying to figure out 1. If I can just take delivery and have it replaced later 2. can they get a windshield in to replace asap or 3 find a different car.
I realized these guys are swamped, but the communication on their end isn't great.

Who have you been dealing with?

No one other than the 888 number. I had emailed the Sales Adviser that did my test drive, but he forwarded me to someone else who has not responded.

I drove by the Wilmington Street location today at lunch. There are probably 30 different Model 3's in the lot. And 3-4 more were arriving on a truck with a S and maybe an X when I was there. I half wanted to look thru all of them and see if mine was actually there, but I did not have time.

If I don't get better status by Saturday, I will just go by and wander around the entire lot and check them all out.

Model 3 delivered on Nov 10, temporary tag expires on Dec 10th. Called Raleigh on Dec 6th, "I need a warm fuzzy..."

"We're on it. We'll FedEx it to you, should be ready by the 10th, but worst case, we'll get you a rental"

Dec 13th, still no tags, car's been parked for three days. Called Raleigh "Can I get an estimate?"

"There's a problem, normally takes a few (more) weeks, but we have a team here now."

"Great, can I get another temporary tag?" "No"

"Can I get an estimate?" "They're not here right now."

I'm guessing the folks in Raleigh don't read these threads anymore. But if they do, this one's for you.

I don't need the rental but I can imagine a discussion that involves me driving 2 hours to Raleigh to pick it up.

Ordered 11/28, picked it up tonight. Really amazing car so far. Charging in the driveway now. Entire process was seamless.
Now have to consider ordering another one.

tidbit. they say their new dealership should open in 2019, consolidating all the sites. i don't know there.

Yjlt_IudL-N0_aNcCE16bAzpCSmo-vsO4VQwdwmI8dsO05_oIlEOLQvNRw-y4CzPFdZasTcXXzfF98O5wYSW5KNwKx5Gicqu9FrfNKAhT7GLCSm4qdd3p2wWYO6GB56ZLDwmOM5OTs2DoEgDiWggCrAoOboqZdDAYPRX7bJD5QJGrlDGQLuxaRXGDxwibAAuywznyTrsu1M7V1ApnCqKgPEneQg-nRwtw8FLvTgQF4RU1P47pZ7VKJZq1yn35lcZ5kMR-rjrjEBeW0a2OjQmeyX2lLD0RGeirKSPylLeEuCEJazI6pJs_qSpS2okUz7z9dOOOI_eyptFUoYBVuQzk0_Xtk8MCJyrXPiBF5Qv7vdO8JItcjmKUxW8BXXi6TzegpKIPXJ_IxPbTzdr1RbvSVXCumDQf3pjpnOW-rdtya_YHbADFwa5Vnhcw_PJh1gnd6sYPc8fJNM4mIbGn1KuxIPtt7RCY93mfmgzl-DcEAL8U2Ef4bcTGyolVoPeduwvnhersoVG5HhYG2XQtSQHOTDVfPzlM9bfqsZvAYFKoZxAxPaQesyfrS01g7VK_ncvaIgaG-Ni4MQM77Wgc_dPeMBcXnqkWH4Fdu9rN3rwmG4aE6O3RhVn6Za8jny7h1SdiFt0Iy5vc4cC-cSDITkK4JEp=w1004-h753-no

• Informative
Reactions: Rarity
Day 8 without a license plate. Food supplies gone. Getting really hungry, may have to eat one of the kids. Do I risk the drive to the grocery store without a plate? Cops are circling like vultures, I can feel it. EAP disappeared with the license plate, might not be able to get to the store anyway.