Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Random Bolt Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given that I'm in SE Michigan where the Chevrolet Bolt is made, I have a unique opportunity to see it in the wild before it even reaches customers. Well, today was my lucky day. As I drove past the 22 Mile & Romeo Plank intersection, I caught a glance of what at first I thought was a 2016 Volt (focusing on the grille), but it looked different and I wondered if it happened to be a Bolt, so I checked the dashcam footage to confirm. This was the first Bolt I've seen, including pre-production models (last NAIAS I went to was 2014).

2016-10-12_bolt_sighting.png

I was excited to hear about more electric cars coming with longer range. First look at Bolt in picture few months back, without comparable regular sized cars, I thought it can be legit. But now it looks just like other pure BEVs except for Tesla, which is yet another GLORIFIED GOLF CART! So small and can easily get smashed in an accident.

• Disagree
Reactions: tvuolo and jaguar36
I was browsing through some old dashcam snapshots and found this from September 2015:

2015-09-09_camo-car-1.png

I had no idea it was a Bolt at the time and remember comparing it with the Spark EV. Now that I know what the production Bolt looks like, it's obvious. So, apparently the one today was my second Bolt sighting.

• Informative
Reactions: callmesam
My eyes...coming from a Prius C (and a gen 3 hatchback before that), I am so done with fugly econo-looking boxes.
I find the C to be the most visually appealing of all the Prius models. I still have a Gen 1 Prius, which I consider homely but lovable (like the original VW Beetle). However, I find the newest Prius to be an aesthetic affront. Not as bad as the Mirai, but still ghastly.

Several weeks ago I saw two Bolts parked in supercharger stalls at Tesla's design studio in Hawthorne, CA. That seemed pretty odd to me. No they were not charging there. It turns out that the Motor Trend guys had them (testing for upcoming review and article) and brought them over to Tesla for the heck of it to show the engineers there. They asked my opinion of them when I inquired as to why the cars were there. When I told them I used to own a Volt they let me sit in the car and play around with the touch screen. Unfortunately, no test drive. The interior was typical GM and felt fairly spacious for the size of the car.

Several weeks ago I saw two Bolts parked in supercharger stalls at Tesla's design studio in Hawthorne, CA. That seemed pretty odd to me. No they were not charging there. It turns out that the Motor Trend guys had them (testing for upcoming review and article) and brought them over to Tesla for the heck of it to show the engineers there. They asked my opinion of them when I inquired as to why the cars were there. When I told them I used to own a Volt they let me sit in the car and play around with the touch screen. Unfortunately, no test drive. The interior was typical GM and felt fairly spacious for the size of the car.

Funny thing is when I first read your post I thought you said:

"...I saw two Bolts parked in 'a' supercharger stall..."

Had to re-read it several times. Guess it's just my bias after looking at the pictures above...

I find the C to be the most visually appealing of all the Prius models. I still have a Gen 1 Prius, which I consider homely but lovable (like the original VW Beetle). However, I find the newest Prius to be an aesthetic affront. Not as bad as the Mirai, but still ghastly.
Yes, the new Prius has lines that create an aesthetic that is overall offensive to the eyes. I have grown somewhat fond of the C styling (perhaps fondness due to 4+ years of flawless ownership). I didn't like gen 1/2 designs all that much, and I actually liked the look of the gen 3 hatchback at every angle except for the rear. In fact, I find the hind end of any Prius to be the biggest downside as far as aesthetic design (well, except the gen 4, which is ugly from practically any angle).

Yes, the new Prius has lines that create an aesthetic that is overall offensive to the eyes. I have grown somewhat fond of the C styling (perhaps fondness due to 4+ years of flawless ownership). I didn't like gen 1/2 designs all that much, and I actually liked the look of the gen 3 hatchback at every angle except for the rear. In fact, I find the hind end of any Prius to be the biggest downside as far as aesthetic design (well, except the gen 4, which is ugly from practically any angle).

My wife absolutely hates the look of the new Prius. I really don't understand why Toyota would go with a polarizing design in a mass-market appeal volume seller. I understand the idea that people want to be seen driving a car that's recognizably a Prius, but yikes.

My wife absolutely hates the look of the new Prius. I really don't understand why Toyota would go with a polarizing design in a mass-market appeal volume seller. I understand the idea that people want to be seen driving a car that's recognizably a Prius, but yikes.
My theory is that the weird design is meant to appeal to a younger demographic. I think Toyota was worried about the Prius being seen as an older person's car.

My theory is that the weird design is meant to appeal to a younger demographic. I think Toyota was worried about the Prius being seen as an older person's car.
Yeah, I guess they were trying to overcome the stodgy image of the Prius... not just with the new sheet metal, but also with their police chase TV ads to make it seem like a sexy, fun car to drive. I guess they were trying to Scion-ify the Prius (and we know how well that "edgy" brand turned out for Toyota). They should have stuck with and improved their "green" creds on the Prius by offering a more compelling model along the lines of the Chevy Volt. The all-electric range of the Plugin Prius was pathetic and the new Prius Prime isn't much better.