Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

random chitchat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are they making more model 3s than the month prior? Did they make more model 3s last month than the month prior to that?

Yes. They did. meaning production rate is increasing. Definition of ramp up.

I know your comments are usually sarcastic, but you just come off as ignorant and dense.
Where is your proof that the production rate is increasing? VIN number 200 plus was given away at the model 3 final reveal over a month ago and now they are just on 300 plus? So I ask you....did they make more model 3's this month than last month?

Give us an official link concerning your claims and not just insults.

Last edited:
No. Elon did not get fired.

I'm suggesting that Elon or someone of his stature say something.
Why do you think that Tesla needs to say anything to anyone other than on the quarterly report which is when they always do it? We realize you think they are all sitting at the factory playing cards while the robots sit in boxes but no at Tesla owes you or anyone else anything except a car. If you refuse to believe that they producing them then that's your right, but you don't have to mention it every other post - we get it.

"Pics or it didn't happen ..."

I honestly don't know if that is a serious statement .......... or a mirthless attempt at humor.

I'm presuming the latter.
There was a day when "seeing is believing;" "A picture is worth a thousand words;" was legitimate statements.
Today, with computer graphics .... you cannot believe anything you see.

I read this thread because I am interested in how production is progressing. but sandpiper said it best:
"Sometimes you just need to sit back and let them do the job."

Taking this with a large shaker of salt without proof.

Now you can see why I sold all my shares
And that is why I avoid the Investor side of the forum ;). Also, I've been having the same conundrum about Garlan. He mostly claims that he doesn't have a Model S because it's just out of his price range, but in some of the supercharger idle fee threads he talks about watching his Model S charge from a Cafe. And he was really quick to produce a photo of a front license plate on a white Model S with Illinois plates in a front-license plate thread. Even if he is a troll on purpose, he's had some good discussions in the past.

The whole "nothing is happening with production ramp" meme is getting quite old, though. We get it Garlan. We don't know for sure what's going on. It'd be great if Elon would tell us. But lack of information doesn't guarantee lack of activity, and there are lots of reasons for Tesla to be playing the Model 3 ramp closer to the chest than S/X (but even those, it's not like he tweeted a weekly update of how production was going). Right now all we have to go on is the increasing frequency and geographic diverseness of sightings. Are they gonna hit 1500 in September? Probably not. But August felt pretty slow too, until like the first week of September when 2xx VINs started popping up. So it sure feels like production is increasing. Is it up to their goals? Who knows. I don't really care either. Because as I've stated before, come May 2018, they'll be producing at such a rate that it won't matter if they were one or two months behind in September 2017. Those entire months of falling behind will be covered by two days of production in 2018. They'll get there. And in two years, all the anxiety will be a distant memory. You'll simply love your car. And wish you had the patience to wait longer for the next improvements they make (100 battery and AP2.0 is my heartburn). But not regret it, because you'll have had your car for a while, and wonder how you ever got along with any other car.

I find this gnashing of teeth about the ramp-up to be slightly strange. Tesla has enormous motivation to get through this as quickly as possible. A bunch of guys whining on the internet isn't going to make one bit of difference.

Having been through "manufacturing hell" too many times, I can tell you that they are doing absolutely everything they can to get the vehicles out, short of shipping out defects.

Sometimes you just need to sit back and let them do the job.
Tesla down another 10 points today........

Absolutely...they don't owe anyone anything. ( sarcastic ). Investors / people have invested their hard earned money in them as I have. When you ( TESLA ) choose to join the market you choose to join a group of people that allow you to use their money to make a product.

Promise something and then deliver something lesser........and watch...as in whats been happening this week with shareholder confidence.

Tesla is no longer in the same game as a mom-and-pop bike shop ( by Tesla's choosing ). Elon made a napkin prediction on model 3 production and investors heard it. Sure Elon could walk that back, but it won't come without a cost. I hate this more than the average person in here as I stand to lose a lot of money on slow walking a promise backward. Maybe that's the difference in why most people here aren't concerned about his promise and walking it back......as you won't really lose anything but time in getting your car.

I get it that seeing new pictures can be a pacifier and a tool to keep the spirit up as the wait continues. I'm on topic in seeking VIN numbers in this thread.

You guys can talk about me as an individual all you want. I've never don't that with ANYONE in this forum no matter how harsh you guys are in return, however I do feel the right to hold Tesla accountable for their words being a shareholder of 125 shares.

Last edited:
Reactions: mmd

Absolutely...they don't own anyone anything. ( sarcastic ). Investors / people have invested their hard earned money in them as I have. When you choose to join the market you choose to join a group of people that allow you to use their money to make a product.

Promise something and then deliver something lesser........and watch...as in whats been happening this week with shareholder confidence.

Tesla is no longer in the same game as a mom-and-pop bike shop ( by Tesla's choosing ). Elon made a napkin prediction on production and investors heard it.

So your premise is that a bunch of us yahoos whining on the internet WILL make a difference? That perhaps these posts will make the 3 guys working 18 hour days mucking about with a welding fixture to prevent a part from distorting will somehow work a little harder?

I'm not going to get into the weeds of the debate. I'm sure you're aware that ALL of the other automakers blow deadlines as well - deadlines that affect revenue and profit targets. The difference is that they're not as public about it. Telsa puts their neck out there on block and publicly commits to do something. They other guys sit in project management meetings, all pretending that they believe that such and such model will actually be out for the 2020 MY. But they all know that it won't be. And it isn't. But the public and general shareholders don't know; they just know that the revenue was missed.

Tesla is pushing like mad. They will get there. It might be a little later than hoped. But anybody who's been watching this show for any length of time knew that WAY ahead of time. I certainly did.

Last edited:
So your premise is that a bunch of us yahoos whining on the internet WILL make a difference? That perhaps these posts will make the 3 guys working 18 hour days mucking about with a welding fixture to prevent a part from distorting will somehow work a little harder?

I'm not going to get into the weeds of the debate. I'm sure you're aware that ALL of the other automakers blow deadlines as well - deadlines that affect revenue and profit targets. The difference is that they're not as public about it. Telsa puts their neck out there on block and publicly commits to do something. They other guys sit in project management meetings, all pretending that they believe that such and such model will actually be out for the 2020 MY. But they all know that it won't be. And it isn't. But the public and general shareholders don't know; they just know that the revenue was missed.
I have seen the results of TESLA reading posts in this forum and responding. For example there was a person in this forum who noticed the acceleration limitation on their Model S and got Tesla to respond that they are software limiting his Model S. Electrek and Teslarati picked up on the story as it was filling up hundreds of pages of dialogue. S

So yes....for many reasons I don't mind freely holding Tesla accountable for what they say. I'm not doing anything illegal or immoral. They said it....let the investors see it. What's the problem?

I can go and buy just about anything anyone says they are selling in the automotive industry. If I'm buying a pagaanni or a Bughatti or something I know it will be a year long wait because the companies both say that they build their cars by hand and it takes a while. I know that up front and built it into the process.

Tesla says that it's going to produce over 1000 Model 3's in September.....fine...... I don't have a problem with that at all. That's the ramp they came up with. Not me nor anyone in this forum. Where are they? - As I and other investors believed them.

I guess the fundamental difference of opinion that I have is that I'm not willing to dismiss things so casually because I literally have something to lose. I stand the opportunity to make at least $7k-$8K-$9k if the stock hits 400 from where it is today. The ramp up numbers that Elon quoted would certainly do it. It would be great for me as well as investors.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: mmd
I have seen the results of TESLA reading posts in this forum and responding. For example there was a person in this forum who noticed the acceleration limitation on their Model S and got Tesla to respond that they are software limiting his Model S. Electrek and Teslarati picked up on the story as it was filling up hundreds of pages of dialogue. S

So yes....for many reasons I don't mind freely holding Tesla accountable for what they say. I'm not doing anything illegal or immoral. They said it....let the investors see it. What's the problem?

I can go and buy just about anything anyone says they are selling in the automotive industry. If I'm buying a pagaanni or a Bughatti or something I know it will be a year long wait because the companies both say that they build their cars by hand and it takes a while. I know that up front and built it into the process.

Tesla says that it's going to produce over 1000 Model 3's in September.....fine...... I don't have a problem with that at all. Where are they? - As I and other investors believed them.

Okay... now I'm starting to think that you just might actually be a troll. Really? You believed them? Wow. Then you need to spend a bit more time doing your due diligence before buying shares. Certainly there were a lot of folks (me included) saying, a long time ago, that this was going to be late. It was obvious when the big press was arriving. And from when they had a pile of shrink wrapped robots on the floor, two months before the start of production.

You don't need to spend a lot of time watching Elon's companies to know that they set incredibly aggressive schedules and almost never hit them. Sorry bud... this is 100% on you. And your whining here on the forum will make zero difference.

Personally, I'm impressed that they're as far along as they are.

As an edit, here were my expectations from a post in June... I figure that I'm still pretty close.

July: NADA, except some hand built RCs as they have now. Tesla may claim that they're off of the line, but that's a bit fuzzy. These cars will be a mix of hand & machine assembled, using some production components and sub-assemblies and some prototype parts.
August: Same as July, but a higher proportion of assy and parts from production processes.
September: 100 - the first cars completed almost entirely on the actual production line, with all going to key employees
Month of October: 500 - employees
Month of November: 1000 - employees
Month of December: 2000 - employees and California
Month of January: 5000 - California
Month of February: 10000 - Start of general release
By June 2018, you'll see production of about 5,000 per week.

Last edited:
"Pics or it didn't happen ..."

I honestly don't know if that is a serious statement .......... or a mirthless attempt at humor.

I'm presuming the latter.
There was a day when "seeing is believing;" "A picture is worth a thousand words;" was legitimate statements.
Today, with computer graphics .... you cannot believe anything you see.

I read this thread because I am interested in how production is progressing. but sandpiper said it best:
"Sometimes you just need to sit back and let them do the job."
It was actually both serious and funny - at least I thought so. Yes, anyone with some talent and drawing program can imitate the vin number, but it takes even less effort to say you saw something. So, while I'm not worried enough about the ramp up to hang on every posted vin sighting, I'm curious enough to want to know, and cautious enough to want, at least a little, proof. I'm sure there are plenty of others that feel the same way. You're obviously with Garlan and want to see them with your own eyes.

Tesla says that it's going to produce over 1000 Model 3's in September.....fine...... I don't have a problem with that at all. That's the ramp they came up with. Not me nor anyone in this forum. Where are they? - As I and other investors believed them.

I guess the fundamental difference of opinion that I have is that I'm not willing to dismiss things so casually because I literally have something to lose. I stand the opportunity to make at least $7k-$8K-$9k if the stock hits 400 from where it is today. The ramp up numbers that Elon quoted would certainly do it. It would be great for me as well as investors.
If your method of monitoring your stock portfolio is going onto the various websites and decrying their shortcomings in your eyes then you probably need to take a step back or find a new way to invest your money.

Tesla has always done business this way, they rarely release any data except during the quarterly reports, the only day to day communications are the tweets from Elon. Anyone who has invested any sum of money in them should have done their research and have known what the expectations were. So, you either didn't do your research and are now blaming Tesla for not living up to your expectations or you did do your research and are now blaming Tesla for not living up to your expectations .... either way, the problem is yours not theirs. If they fall short in their estimates you have every right to be upset and post what you want to, I'll suggest that you do it in the investor forums though.

Absolutely...they don't owe anyone anything. ( sarcastic ). Investors / people have invested their hard earned money in them as I have. When you ( TESLA ) choose to join the market you choose to join a group of people that allow you to use their money to make a product.

Tesla is no longer in the same game as a mom-and-pop bike shop ( by Tesla's choosing ). Elon made a napkin prediction on model 3 production and investors heard it. Sure Elon could walk that back, but it won't come without a cost. I hate this more than the average person in here as I stand to lose a lot of money on slow walking a promise backward. Maybe that's the difference in why most people here aren't concerned about his promise and walking it back......as you won't really lose anything but time in getting your car.

I get it that seeing new pictures can be a pacifier and a tool to keep the spirit up as the wait continues. I'm on topic in seeking VIN numbers in this thread.

You guys can talk about me as an individual all you want. I've never don't that with ANYONE in this forum no matter how harsh you guys are in return, however I do feel the right to hold Tesla accountable for their words being a shareholder of 125 shares.
A small clarification regarding your stated belief that most people here aren't concerned because they don't own 125 shares, like you do.

A LOT of people here own thousands and far in excess of thousands of shares. And those people are not the ones wringing their hands re production ramp. (fyi - I'm thrilled you're a shareholder, it's an exciting stock to own.) Unless you're a day trader, the bumps in the road are just little bumps. The road is still in place and we're all going down that road. Maybe a little early, maybe on time, maybe a little late. But we'll get to where we're going.

Production doesn't respond to complaining on an internet forum. It's hard work ramping up. What people have to say online is, well, immaterial to production. No one wants to be at full ramp more than every single person at Tesla. No one is reading an online forum and smacking themselves in the forehead, saying, 'Oh HEY! Whaddaya say, guys?? Let's ramp!.' Pictures and VINS are fun to have while we're waiting. But again, immaterial.

I know nothing said here will change your certainty that Tesla is dropping the ball. I'm saying better learn to breathe. New production is an exciting time - it's where all the rough edges get identified and resolved. It's prob one of my favorite times in a product lifecycle.

Last edited:
... New production is an exciting time - it's where all the rough edges get identified and resolved. It's prob one of my favorite times in a product lifecycle.

Says the woman who (I assume!) still has all of her hair. I know I lost a certain percentage of mine on every new startup. :) But yes... fun... in a somewhat insane, masochistic sortof way.

My (unsolicited) feedback to you would not be about you as an individual or of character (motivations, values etc), but of patterns of behavior in posting style. I do get you’re frustrated, that you have a sense that Tesla is accountable to you, and would like things to go as ambitiously planned.

Regardless of your beliefs and their correctness, and whether others agree or not, your posts comes as repetitive and distracting interjections of snark. If you want to create a thread entitled “vent - we’d like to know more about actual rampup” you can discuss that topic there ( and get some of the topical feedback on your opinions you are getting here, where it would be ... on topic )
Just my .02 ...and again feedback not about “you” but your recurring choices in posting here. Kindly,

My (unsolicited) feedback to you would not be about you as an individual or of character (motivations, values etc), but of patterns of behavior in posting style. I do get you’re frustrated, that you have a sense that Tesla is accountable to you, and would like things to go as ambitiously planned.

Regardless of your beliefs and their correctness, and whether others agree or not, your posts comes as repetitive and distracting interjections of snark. If you want to create a thread entitled “vent - we’d like to know more about actual rampup” you can discuss that topic there ( and get some of the topical feedback on your opinions you are getting here, where it would be ... on topic )
Just my .02 ...and again feedback not about “you” but your recurring choices in posting here. Kindly,
I don't see the investment forum and I am a lot happier for it, but I got the distinct impression back in the day that the ability of a fair number of Model 3 reservations to buy the car is tied to the Tesla stock price.

Status
Not open for further replies.