Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

random chitchat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure what you are saying here.

Someone earlier said that there were folks on here who own 1000's of shares of Tesla stock waiting for a model 3. I just said that I don't believe it.

If so...they should also be really concerned about the lack of VIN's that WILL drive down the stock if Tesla keeps missing its own promises. Unless they just don't care about $800k in stock.

Down 4.2% today 15 points. I suppose that's only a $33,000 ( the price of a model 3 ) loss for the 2000 stock share holders.

Such a person says he couldn't care less about the "down 4.2% today." Says the only reason he was able to purchase all those shares in 2012 at an average price under $30 is because the stock market has an irrational component. Not for him to pick and choose that it have an irrational component on particular days like those in 2012 to give him a bargain sale price, and then magically lose that irrational component in the days that followed because he now owns the shares.

ps not making this up to conveniently fit a narrative into this thread... see this posted from earlier in the investment section, this has been for some time the perspective on $100 swings in TSLA, let alone, $15.

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

Last edited:

Someone earlier said that there were folks on here who own 1000's of shares of Tesla stock waiting for a model 3. I just said that I don't believe it.

If so...they should also be really concerned about the lack of VIN's that WILL drive down the stock if Tesla keeps missing its own promises. Unless they just don't care about $800k in stock.

Down 4.2% today 15 points. I suppose that's only a $33,000 ( the price of a model 3 ) loss for the 2000 stock share holders.

It's only a loss if you sell. Even then, it's likely just a smaller gain in this case.

The fact of the matter is that TSLA's short-term stock movement, or any stock movement, may or may not concern someone depending on their individual circumstances. If someone has a long view on TSLA and is familiar with how previous launches have been, this sort of thing is old hat. Sitting around obsessing over the details like you are is generally not what I expect to see out of someone who's investing within their means, unless it's what they do for a living working at a hedge fund or something along those lines.

Such a person says he couldn't care less about the "down 4.2% today." Says the only reason he was able to purchase all those shares in 2012 at an average price under $30 is because the stock market has an irrational component. Not for him to pick and choose that it have an irrational component on particular days like those in 2012 to give him a bargain sale price, and then magically lose that irrational component in the days that followed because he now owns the shares.
really? ok

• Disagree
Reactions: Stolz25
It's only a loss if you sell. Even then, it's likely just a smaller gain in this case.

The fact of the matter is that TSLA's short-term stock movement, or any stock movement, may or may not concern someone depending on their individual circumstances. If someone has a long view on TSLA and is familiar with how previous launches have been, this sort of thing is old hat. Sitting around obsessing over the details like you are is generally not what I expect to see out of someone who's investing within their means, unless it's what they do for a living working at a hedge fund or something along those lines.
Obsessing? really? I'm just typing. There is another word inserted that does not describe me. Why are we talking about me anyway? I suppose that's the only way some folks can be satisfied.

Tesla and their statements of ramp and the VIN numbers produced because of the ramp ( or lack thereof ) is the topic.

really? ok

yes. you might want to read about Benjamin Graham's "Mr. Market" metaphor. Graham was Warren Buffett's mentor, and he created the metaphor in large part precisely to help investors overcome the pitfall of reacting to market volatility unrelated to a company's actual business.

you might also want to read the post I linked in the earlier reply as an edit apparently after you replied (you may have missed it).

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

apologize to the thread for going OT, will leave it at that. Garlan can PM me if he/she wants to discuss investing further.

Are you listening at all? Tesla has NOT always done this. They have always been very vocal. Elon went on tweet storms for both the Model S and X during their productions...whether good or bad. So this is NOT bau for Tesla. If this is a new approach to be like other manufactures....then fine.

Tesla made announcements about the ramp. No one forced them. Why is it wrong to hold them accountable to their own words?

Going to pass on AWD to get my Model 3 sooner, anyone else doing the same?
I am. And the fact that Elon is relatively quiet regarding the Model 3 has everything to do with the 450,000 reservations he has in his pocket.

How can you build any cars if the vendors don’t have any parts ready? Maybe your definition of ready differs from mine. But if they started building in July (which they did), I’d expect their vendors to be ready to supply parts in July.
I still don't believe it. People with model S money waiting for a 3. Thousands of shares is coming in at least $750K. Ok maybe they want one as a play toy or something. lol

As I said before.....there are many threads here that have made a significant difference to sites like Electrek and Teslarati which someone at Tesla reads.
For example the Model S software throttling issue came from a thread here to Electrek which was read by JB Strobel at Tesla and they made a change to not throttle anything.
The Model X Christmas display was birthed by someone on a thread on this forum.
The problem with the bolts on the Model X seats generated a free fix for all Model X owners from a thread according to a tweet from Elon himself a long time ago.
And many others...........
So just as many folks tried to tell the above thread folks that "its not Teslas fault and Tesla isn't going to do anything about it and you are waisting your time...." They made a difference.

If this thread does not make a difference in letting Tesla know the frustration some have with is non-existent self proclaimed ramp..then....oh well. There are those who are commenting that they like my comments in PM's and by clicking on my posts with the like button. So some don't like my comments and some do. Oh well.
I know rich people who drive old , used cars. That’s why they are rich! One of my friends drives a 67 Chrysler with almost 400,000 miles on it and has a ton of money.

• Disagree
I still don't believe it. People with model S money waiting for a 3. Thousands of shares is coming in at least $750K. Ok maybe they want one as a play toy or something. lol

As I said before.....there are many threads here that have made a significant difference to sites like Electrek and Teslarati which someone at Tesla reads.
For example the Model S software throttling issue came from a thread here to Electrek which was read by JB Strobel at Tesla and they made a change to not throttle anything.
The Model X Christmas display was birthed by someone on a thread on this forum.
The problem with the bolts on the Model X seats generated a free fix for all Model X owners from a thread according to a tweet from Elon himself a long time ago.
And many others...........
So just as many folks tried to tell the above thread folks that "its not Teslas fault and Tesla isn't going to do anything about it and you are waisting your time...." They made a difference.

If this thread does not make a difference in letting Tesla know the frustration some have with is non-existent self proclaimed ramp..then....oh well. There are those who are commenting that they like my comments in PM's and by clicking on my posts with the like button. So some don't like my comments and some do. Oh well.
There's a huge difference between responding to fix some issues that are brought to your attention and turning up the production rate solely because internet board members are anxious to get their cars. Tesla shouldn't ramp up any faster than they can safely produce quality cars. In the end that would only be shooting themselves in the foot by delivering cars that are unreliable or do not meet the buyer's expectations.

Last edited:
I know rich people who drive old , used cars. That’s why they are rich! One of my friends drives a 67 Chrysler with almost 400,000 miles on it and has a ton of money.
Thanks. I do to. However I'm not talking about rich. I never mentioned rich. I'm specifically talking about Tesla shareholders to the magnitude of 2000 shares and up. Its very important that they be Tesla shareholders in the discussion.

• Disagree
There's a huge difference between responding to fix some issues that are brought to your attention and turning up the production rate solely because internrt board members are anxious to get their cars. Tesla shouldn't ramp up any faster than they can safely produce quality cars. In the end that would only be shooting themselves in the foot by delivering cars that are unreliable or do not meet the buyer's expectations.
We don't know why the ramp or lack thereof isn't happening.

Everything is theory and speculation. I refuse to guess and imagine what's going on.

Reactions: 03DSG

We've been through this before, with the S and then with the X.

Unlike the Model 3, where we're seeing employee deliveries occurring, both S and the X production went dark for a few months after the Founder vehicles were delivered. And yet the stock survived. That could explain why so many of us are not stressing over Model 3.

TSLA has always been an extremely volatile stock to own. It spikes, it drops, it exceeds wildest expectations. Watching VINs and correlating that to the stock price is going to make you crazy.

Unlike the Model 3, where we're seeing employee deliveries occurring, both S and the X production went dark for a few months after the Founder vehicles were delivered. And yet the stock survived. That could explain why so many of us are not stressing over Model 3.

TSLA has always been an extremely volatile stock to own. It spikes, it drops, it exceeds wildest expectations. Watching VINs and correlating that to the stock price is going to make you crazy.
Too late. ;) And I don't even own that much.

Everyone keeps saying that this has happened before, however it hasn't. There wasn't a promise of production numbers within a timeframe.....and then dead silence about missing the numbers. That has never happened before.

Its not making me crazy.

It's that time again! I need a catchy game-show name for calling out forum trolls.
In short - My PV system causes my Electric Meter to spin backwards at an amazing speed. Then at night my house and MS spin it back the other way at a snails pace..
Has a Model S!
I looked at the X
....Then looked at my wallet
Then looked at the X
....Then looked my wallet
Then looked at the X

Then Cried......
Clearly can't afford an X/S
... I have AP so I'm not a good example to use to check these features.
HAS Autopilot!...obviously has a Tesla
Looks like you ought to get one of those.

I'll keep my Tesla....thanks.
Has a Tesla
"Sharkbait said:
I know. But the natives will start getting restless after the turn of the New Year, especially if there are no significant updates. No worries, I'm enjoying my S and quite happy I bought it now."

I'm glad you are happy...except for one day every month where you have to pay my mortgage for your car.
Mocks someone else on forum for buying a Model S...I'm getting very confused whether he has one or not. Maybe its self-loathing-owner?

Message to Elon - I would have bought the MS in the first place if I was able to afford it.
Can't afford a Model S

... I'm a small share holder in my 401K so there is no real liability for me,....

... however I do feel the right to hold Tesla accountable for their words being a shareholder of 125 shares.

From 'no real liability' to suddenly wanting a hold Tesla accountable as if he's a board member.
125 shares
I have no idea what you guys are talking about concerning puts and shorts. I bought in at 175 and I'm going to hold on to them...
@ $175/share
... I stand the opportunity to make at least $7k-$8K-$9k if the stock hits 400 from where it is today. The ramp up numbers that Elon quoted would certainly do it. It would be great for me as well as investors.
$175 * 125 = $21,875 (initial investment according to his posts)
If the stock hits ($400 - $350 [where it is today, but that shouldn't matter, he bought when it was $175, not today]) * 125 shares = $6,250 return...that doesn't match his math, lets try again.

($400 - $175 [what he claims to have bought in at]) * 125 shares = $28,125....thats a LOT more than he claimed.

....Although I'm a technical person and have the ability to surgically dissect all of Elons comments with the greatest of ease....as far as my parents and many other Tesla owners are concerned......who cares?
No one. So stop.

It's that time again! I need a catchy game-show name for calling out forum trolls.

Has a Model S!

Clearly can't afford an X/S

HAS Autopilot!...obviously has a Tesla

Has a Tesla

Mocks someone else on forum for buying a Model S...I'm getting very confused whether he has one or not. Maybe its self-loathing-owner?

Can't afford a Model S

From 'no real liability' to suddenly wanting a hold Tesla accountable as if he's a board member.
125 shares

@ $175/share

$175 * 125 = $21,875 (initial investment according to his posts)
If the stock hits ($400 - $350 [where it is today, but that shouldn't matter, he bought when it was $175, not today]) * 125 shares = $6,250 return...that doesn't match his math, lets try again.

($400 - $175 [what he claims to have bought in at]) * 125 shares = $28,125....thats a LOT more than he claimed.

No one. So stop.
Wow, what a biography study.

Can no longer afford a Model S payment.
Sold it a while ago.
Invested small profit as well as personal funds ( half of old model s payment ) into buying stock to purchase Model 3 cash. I actually made money on the sale. Fashion that.

Working out well except that the lack of Model 3 ramp isn't helping investors help me.

BTW....for your joy and entertainment.
I have no pets. Used to have a bird when I was younger.
I've been on my current job for a long long time. ( 29 years ) love it.
I live in the Chicagoland area
I was 2nd in line at the Grand Avenue model 3 reservation line on 3/31
I waited out in the rain for 5 hours
I'm getting a white model 3 AWD Ludicrous
I've been in this forum since reservation day
I have a few friends with Model S and X's.

anything else? I'll help you so that you won't have to do so much work.

BTW.... what's your opinion on the ramp. No matter what you say about me.....the ramp is still the same. Was it your attempt to try and discredit me to prove that the ramp IS flourishing? What were you trying to do exactly?

What's your opinion on tesla's statement on the ramp and where they are right now? Neither of which has anything to do with me.

Last edited:
BTW.... what's your opinion on the ramp. No matter what you say about me.....the ramp is still the same. Was it your attempt to try and discredit me to prove that the ramp IS flourishing? What were you trying to do exactly?

What's your opinion on tesla's statement on the ramp and where they are right now? Neither of which has anything to do with me.

The production rate is increasing. Nearly 300 have already been delivered. They may not make 1500 this month but Tesla's production rate is increasing exponentially. I expect ~1000 built this month (not delivered, but built).

mod note: edited some personal data out of this post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.