Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Random Model S sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Living in the Bay Area, it's kind of hard to come up with interesting "Random Model S Sightings", but I guess this ought to qualify. Parked my silver Model S at work this morning like I usually do. Came back at the end of the day to find another silver Model S parked next to it. (Not quite twins...the other car is a S90D with a pano roof, where mine is an S85D with a body color roof.)

Bruce.

(Apologies for my shadow in the picture...I didn't want to be walking around the parking lot trying to get the exactly right angle with people wondering why the heck I'm taking a picture of my car.)

IMG_9435.jpg

Reactions: M67v and ahurst
Living in the Bay Area, it's kind of hard to come up with interesting "Random Model S Sightings", but I guess this ought to qualify. Parked my silver Model S at work this morning like I usually do. Came back at the end of the day to find another silver Model S parked next to it. (Not quite twins...the other car is a S90D with a pano roof, where mine is an S85D with a body color roof.)

Bruce.

(Apologies for my shadow in the picture...I didn't want to be walking around the parking lot trying to get the exactly right angle with people wondering why the heck I'm taking a picture of my car.)

View attachment 203116

Is it just the lighting that makes his reflector reflect yellow and your reflect look like it's painted red?

Is it just the lighting that makes his reflector reflect yellow and your reflect look like it's painted red?

That's a good question. I assume it's just the lighting...my reflectors are all stock. Like I said, it wasn't a great picture. :)

Random other thing...approaching the Bay Bridge in stop-and-go traffic I was paralleling another Model S and traded waves with the driver. That felt weird...this almost never happens here in the Tesla-saturated Bay Area!

Bruce.

Today was the first big snow of the season, so went out around 2PM to shovel the driveway. When I was near the street, I glanced up and saw a car coming. At first I thought it was a police car and I was thinking of waving to show support, but when I glanced up again (a bit late), I noticed it was a dark Model S and I quickly smiled and gave a thumbs up. Not sure the driver noticed since they didn't appear to be looking my direction, as they were about to pass me by the time I did that. This was the second time I've seen a Model S on my street as I was near the road, first time was also a dark one in mid-2015, and both times I forgot to check the license plate after it passed.

Driving from Syracuse to Ithaca yesterday I saw this red Model S approaching, flashed my lights, and received the return flash:

Then, about twenty miutes later, I passed this blue Model X, but didn't see it in time to flash my lights.

On the trip back to Syracuse, in the dark, I actually passed what I'm pretty certain were two more Model Ss, within about five minutes, but the video is unimpressive, so I'm not posting it.

Four Teslas in one shortish round trip is definitely a record for me!

Last edited:
Reactions: croman and jgs
Living in California it'll be a surprise to NOT see a tesla on my work commute.

Heh. @Andyw2100 I was just thinking when I read this that I usually see about 3-5 Teslas doing my school drop-off run, which is about a 10-minute round trip on residential streets. :) Usually one or two Xs and the rest Ss, unfortunately Roadsters are rare.

Bruce.

Living in California it'll be a surprise to NOT see a tesla on my work commute.
Rub it in, why don't you?

I went for a second job interview a few hours ago and, long story short, they had a scheduling error that I wasn't notified about and it didn't happen. On a positive note, I did see a gray S85D parked out front of the building, which most likely belongs to iOS lead developer of the company. If I get the job there, we would be working together, with me on the Android team along with my former team lead from my previous job who told me about the iOS lead. There are roughly 500 Teslas registered in the state, so it's a bit of a coincidence, though it helps that the company is a startup in the energy industry. It's not completely random as I already knew someone there had one, though I didn't see it the first time and didn't expect to see it in the metered parking.

On a related note, the parking garage where I parked has one J1772 with 3 reserved spaces and it was completely ICEd all three times I've been there. It was very crowded, two of those times I didn't find a spot until the relatively empty roof.

We had a record snow storm last week and I went out the day after the snow in my Model S. The only cars out were SUVs, trucks, Subarus, and a few Model Ss. I saw one in the parking lot at the market that had been there since before the snow, but I think it was a signature red (hard to tell the light was bad). On my way back I was just turning into my neighborhood when I saw a red Model S coming out a driveway.

Into my neighborhood I was following an SUV doing 4 mph. Once he pulled into a driveway I got up to 15-20 mph with no concern. The Model S with just the tires that came on it was dealing with the icy conditions better than any car I've ever driven and it was much more sure footed than all those trucks and SUVs on the road!

Reactions: Btrflyl8e
No photos, but hey: this is a sightings thread, not a "photos" thread! :)

On my 23 Days: 4400 miles road trip, one of my stops was my mother's -- in fairly ritzy Portola Valley, Calif. I took her for a ride, and in the hour we were out we saw seven Teslas! Even I was astounded ...but then, Portola Valley is a fairly target-rich environment, being high-end housing near Silicon Valley.

When we stopped at the local market, someone in a Model X was kind enough to park right in front of us, with teens in the back seat so I could point out to mom how the gullwing doors worked.

Yesterday I finally saw AP HW2 cars in the wild (three of 'em within a few hundred yards), or maybe i just figured out how to recognize them as such. It seems easiest to look for a smudge-like thing half-way up the windows on the B pillar (that's one of the new cameras). That might be easier to spot than the slightly more bulgy turn signal indicator in front of the front doors, which is another of the new cameras. There doesn't seem to be an easy way to tell from directly behind the vehicle.

Bruce.

Reactions: Blu Zap