Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Random Model X sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw a new founders model x being prepped for delivery/being worked on at my local store. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say any more than that (I certainly wasn't allowed to take pictures) so I won't. I'll just say it's a higher vin than what has been discussed on the board so far.

IANAL, but if you didn't sign an NDA and you followed the rules while on the premises, I'm pretty sure everything you know is fair game.

I saw a new founders model x being prepped for delivery/being worked on at my local store. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say any more than that (I certainly wasn't allowed to take pictures) so I won't. I'll just say it's a higher vin than what has been discussed on the board so far.

I agree that if no one asked you not to say the #, it probably doesn't matter. :D

As was stated they were probably moving the car before securing everything to get to a charger so they had enough boost to get over Echo Summit before coasting to Folsom.

Having said that unless they had the six seater or very short skis, they probably had to do all sorts of trickery to get the skis into the car and close the hatch. You should not have to do this in an SUV. You should be able to toss them into the car and move out in seconds. No planning/logistics required.

Oh and if they had skied at Sierra at Tahoe, they would not have had to look for a charger. Its all downhill to Folsom. Let that be another lesson here. :smile:

They might have stuck the ski rack inside the car and planned to reinstall it and attach the skis while charging.

The secrecy surrounding deliveries is amazing. I visited my local store this weekend to make my final interior color decisions and was told there would be a X delivery "this month" but no idea whether it will be a signature or founders.

The Marietta location is interesting, tucked away to be invisible from the street. I can say that while charging behind it at Thanksgiving, I saw their fenced in "storage area". Sadly, no X sitting there at that time.

I dunno, if they have a car back hidden away and roped off for a vip with a sign saying don't walk back here or take pics, I'm inclined to give them their desired privacy. I'm sure it will be public soon regardless.

Another way to think about it is this: If it were your Founders or early Sig X being delivered, wouldn't you prefer to see it yourself first when you pick it up rather than see photos of it all over TMC, Instagram, etc.? I think that's the discretion the SC staff are trying to maintain.

Another way to think about it is this: If it were your Founders or early Sig X being delivered, wouldn't you prefer to see it yourself first when you pick it up rather than see photos of it all over TMC, Instagram, etc.? I think that's the discretion the SC staff are trying to maintain.

Well, that and as already stated, they are trying to lessen the Osborne Effect. They don't want people walking into the store (who don't obsessively follow Tesla) to see the X and decide they want that instead of the S -- since they won't get it for another several months or year, and Tesla needs to sell a lot of cars in the meantime.

I'm not going to bother debating it... I've removed my images to to not offend the likes of bobbykansara. :eek:

Last edited:

I guess I don't understand why we wouldn't respect the privacy requested by the sign/Tesla store. Are we THAT starved for pictures of some random Model X sitting in the store somewhere? There are TONS and TONS of far better pictures floating around out there from the launch event (including Elon's Model X). Do these hasty "hope I don't get caught" shots of the exterior really add anything? You can glean far more detail from launch event photos. I'm a little saddened by this, tbh. I thought we were a more respectful bunch than that.... :/

ModelXTracker | Production (United States) # : MODEL X P90D | Red | 20 | UW | 7S | VHCS | CF | BA | SZ | PIL | AP | SAS | UHFS | AH

I guess I don't understand why we wouldn't respect the privacy requested by the sign/Tesla store. Are we THAT starved for pictures of some random Model X sitting in the store somewhere? There are TONS and TONS of far better pictures floating around out there from the launch event (including Elon's Model X). Do these hasty "hope I don't get caught" shots of the exterior really add anything? You can glean far more detail from launch event photos. I'm a little saddened by this, tbh. I thought we were a more respectful bunch than that.... :/

My take on it is that it's not about the photo, but about the VIN, to get a better idea how far along production is. I can't quite read the exact wording of the no-photos sign, but it would appear that the restriction is strictly on photos and getting really close to the car. If they wanted to prevent people from learning details that can be remembered (like the VIN), I'd expect them to have more restrictions.

I will say that BoldSharpe's action was, well, a bold move that I don't condone.

My take on it is that it's not about the photo, but about the VIN, to get a better idea how far along production is. I can't quite read the exact wording of the no-photos sign, but it would appear that the restriction is strictly on photos and getting really close to the car. If they wanted to prevent people from learning details that can be remembered (like the VIN), I'd expect them to have more restrictions.

I will say that BoldSharpe's action was, well, a bold move that I don't condone.

I understand what you're saying. But the more people do stuff like that, the more I think of vultures or invasive paparazzi. I own a vintage eye-catching remarkable sports car. Whenever I park it, I find people snapping pics of it all the time. That doesn't bother me at all. But if I saw someone trying to take a pic of my VIN, I'd be super creeped out and upset. It really feels like a violation. Do we really need to be taking pics of VIN numbers? I understand the climate of doubt and mistrust of claims on the forum here. But is there really a need for us to be that invasive? It just seems wrong to me.

I'm guessing the most interesting things around differences among Production, Sigs, and Founders models are likely internal, such as what may have been built by hand vs automated. So a snap of the exterior isn't likely to show anything new...and while I enjoy any new view of Model X, I do agree that if TM asks to refrain from photos, that's what we should do.

On the VIN...I think just saying "in the teens" or "in the 100s" etc., is probably good enough for all of us to appreciate. I wouldn't take it personally if someone checks/photographs my VIN since it's printed in plain view for ALL vehicles. If someone has malicious intent with a VIN, it's going to be hard to prevent, regardless. Especially for this vehicle, the printed VIN is going to be looked at more than for other types, it should be expected.

I'm not going to bother debating it... I've removed my images to to not offend the likes of bobbykansara. :eek:

Oh don't take shots at him. I would have suggested removing it for the reasons stated here AND so that the Chicago service center doesn't deem you 'don't trust with info you don't want on the forum'. I mean c'mon. They had a SIGN on it asking that photos not be taken.