Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Random Model X sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Taking a photo of the VIN requires one to photograph the interior of the car through the windshield (if the owner is not there).

For me, there is a big difference (if the owner is not there) between taking a photo of the exterior of the car versus the interior of the car through the windows/windshield. I would be pretty creeped out if I some random stranger taking shots of the contents of my car.

And what benefit does having a photo of the VIN confer upon a photographer? All you need is the last three or four digits at this point.

Thank you Bobby. I was trying to organize my words and wrote/deleted a couple of posts that you have expressed better in yours now. As well as adding a good point about what value would be in a VIN Pic.

This lets me jump to a final thought that others may or may not find helpful or clarifying (a request for a "bright line" not to cross was seen upthread) - my Service Center told me that they have a policy not to hide the cars in for service, but not to allow non-Tesla employees close enough to see INSIDE the car. This seems pretty cut and dried to me. Outside The Car. Inside The Car.
Thus, Pic Penetrating Thru The Glass = Inside Of The Car = over the line.

Of course it may be fair to say YSCMV. But just sayin'. This is where I would draw the line, supported by the local SC's ("Tesla's") official stated policy.

What hardship would it possibly cause, when privacy is the question, to err on the side OF privacy?

/soapbox

Rick

I should give you the last word but I can't help but point out two things
1. No surprise to you how it looked after the reveal so no surprise ruined
2. Next time don't advertise over the Internet when you are picking up your surprise including locations and times. More likely to be a "surprise" then

Oh geez, have to respond here. I didn't say my delivery was ruined. Never said that once. If you go back to my first comment, I said I was uncomfortable at seeing undelivered vehicles/VINs posted because it might take some of the shine off for a new owner. That's ALL. Please quit making it into something else.

Aw, man. I browsed this thread hoping to see some random Model X pics.........
I reported one of my posts above to the moderators with a polite request to maybe separate our very useful, insightful and interesting discussion on VINs and the etiquette of posting pictures of other people's possessions into a separate thread.
Given that it's a holiday weekend in much of the world and that the moderators are all volunteers we might just have to be patient a little longer than usual. But I'm sure the pristine integrity of the "Random Model X sightings" thread will soon be restored.

Taking a photo of the VIN requires one to photograph the interior of the car through the windshield (if the owner is not there).

For me, there is a big difference (if the owner is not there) between taking a photo of the exterior of the car versus the interior of the car through the windows/windshield. I would be pretty creeped out if I some random stranger taking shots of the contents of my car.

And what benefit does having a photo of the VIN confer upon a photographer? All you need is the last three or four digits at this point. It seems that the only reason that the photographer would need the photo of the VIN is to prove that it happened to the doubters on this forum. Does one really need that validation? If people don't believe you without a photo that you saw a model X sig #xxx in the wild, is it really that big a problem for you?

For me, taking a pic of the interior without the owner being there crosses a line of privacy that forays into invasive. And for what? Just to satisfy the lust for information of only the most ardent of doubters? Is that really necessary? Feel free to ask me the last four digits of the VIN, and I'll happily tell a stranger. But please do not take pics of the interior of my car without permission.

How would you feel if a stranger was taking pics of your interior non-tesla car?
What if I took a photo of the car but stuff inside was visible through the massive windshield? This is a huge grey area and I'm sure a lot people will have massively different views about it. What if I took a photo of the amazing windshield and my DSLR has the resolving power that if I zoom in, I can see the VIN?

I totally understand how eagerly everyone is waiting for their X and I'd not like to ruin anyone's fun and excitement of receiving their X. But I am curious about this "invasion" of privacy on things which are visible externally. I imagine we're, as a society, going to have to come up with a proper law for privacy as technology advances, like optics and drones become more prevalent. My camera phone can resolve more detail than most DSLRs 5 years ago.

I reported one of my posts above to the moderators with a polite request to maybe separate our very useful, insightful and interesting discussion on VINs and the etiquette of posting pictures of other people's possessions into a separate thread.
Given that it's a holiday weekend in much of the world and that the moderators are all volunteers we might just have to be patient a little longer than usual. But I'm sure the pristine integrity of the "Random Model X sightings" thread will soon be restored.

insightful, for sure. Even moderators need holidays. Happy holidays to us all who are gifted with the opportunity to drive the future!

Sorry no photos, but as the doors swung open to the rear of the factory supercharging lounge/new car owner pick up lounge etc. there was a signature red Tesla Model X awaiting it's owner! It looked beautiful and very Christmas red; glittering under the presentation lights. I'm sure many are being delivered this week along with about twenty MS's a day and their new owners checking out their new MS vehicles under the tented delivery lot. My guess it that the new sig MX owners are being presented delivery in the indoor delivery arena! Spectacularly clean, shiny, brightly lit, new! Quite a thrill for those new MX owners. You could feel it in the air!

Back on topic: there is a Sig red and a white (I was too lazy to check if sig or founder) charging at the factory. Won't post pictures or VINs but I've now had the Chance to look at the X in person and admit I absolutely love it.

Enough to sell my S? Unlikely, but still very tempted.

Agreed, friend! Let's get this thread back on topic! Here is a random snap my friend in NorCal took somewhere in the Bay Area about a month ago.

image.jpeg

Ok, out of respect for the rules here, I won't post a pic of a Tesla model X at a Service Center, Super Charger, or factory, as it's considered a bit of a bird's nest (not random, private homing location). But can I bend it a little and mention one? I'm at the Seaside SC, and there's a white X charging. That's all I'm going to do or say. I'm going to leave after doing no more than admire it out of my window. A lot ️

Last edited:
I'm a little uncomfortable of posting pics/VINs/invoices of undelivered vehicles. How would one of you feel seeing your vehicle for the first time on a forum?

Let the new owners have the fun of being the first one to see their vehicle.

Someone did this with my P85D last year... and I was actually kind of excited to see it pre-delivery. *shrugs*

Tracking P85D delivery thread - Page 295

Tracking P85D delivery thread - Page 297

Maybe I'm in the minority though...

Ok, out of respect for the rules here, I won't post a pic of an X at an SC, SC, or factory, as it's considered a bit of a bird's nest (not random, private homing location). But can I bend it a little and mention one? I'm at the Seaside SC, and there's a white X charging. That's all I'm going to do or say. I'm going to leave after doing no more than admire it out of my window. A lot ️
If you were lucky enough to be there at the right time there were 3.

Do you lose anything?

Many investors here do indeed have a lot to lose and gain over whether a VIN sighting is real or fake, and pictures are a big, big thing in separating fact from fiction for de-risking that sort of speculation.

I'm not personally a crazy short-term investor, but the pseudo-public information first coming to TMC before anywhere else has been a factor in making significant investing decisions in TSLA that were significantly de-risked by something as small as pictures. My mortgage is thankful for people who post information such as this, past, present, and future.

Anyways, maybe it's just me--coming from a state where any license plate easily leads to your address, and your address easily leads to your name in publicly-searchable online databases. Nothing private about it. What a single individual might post about, several thousand drivers have already seen from that Model X in transit on public roads (they don't airlift these things, or ship them through private tunnels cross-country you know!). Also if not for the VIN itself, people would have no idea of it's their Model X, or one of the several dozens of Model X's that looks close enough to their own configuration. It's just my opinion that ignorance is bliss for those who get worked up about it. If it becomes a forum rule, I'll be quite sad but that isn't up to me to make such a decision.

The only thing I'm not really liking in these photos is the black plastic around the wheel wells. I prefer how the S has body color paneling all the way to the edge. But I haven't seen an X in person and maybe these blend in more or look better (as some have said of the nose)?