Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range degradation for S70D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Nicola_Won

We're on the cusp of an energy revolution.
Jun 20, 2009
Richmond, London
Hi all. So I have the S70D and I know that the battery is actually a 75D. My question is that I understand range loss is about 5% for the first 50,000 miles and then about 1% per annum going forward, but since the 70D is actually a 75KWh pack, would I even see this degradation since I'm only allowed access to 94% of the battery anyway? Or does the system give me a fixed 94% of what is usable of the battery?

The logical thing would be to give you a fixed 94% of usable capacity. But as another poster said, I don't think anyone knows exactly how Tesla set this up. I guess we'll see as time goes on and limited batteries age.

The logical thing would be to give you a fixed 94% of usable capacity. But as another poster said, I don't think anyone knows exactly how Tesla set this up. I guess we'll see as time goes on and limited batteries age.

My 70D (locked 75D) charged to 236 on delivery day and now only charges to 230 or 231. So degradation is definitely proportional to the unlocked portion of the battery.

• Informative
Reactions: Saghost
Have 70 purchased June 2016. When I received the car, 90% charge was to 214 miles. 90% charge 7 months later flips between 211 and 212.

The rated miles is at best an educated guess on the part of the car. It is nothing on which to base an evaluation of battery health. It is a calculation based on measurements that don't really give accurate enough information to tell if you have a problem. Just the outside temperature difference can cause the fluctuation you are reporting.

Reactions: RobertF
Sorry, could somebody please point me toward some background information? Are 70 kWh batteries really locked 75s? All of them, or just some?

I tried to do a search on this but couldn't find anything specific and authoritative. Thanks...

Just some - I had the impression it's only the last month or two of production, but I really don't have a handle on when the switchover happened.

The real 70 uses 14 of modules identical to the 16 modules in an 85 (the original 60s used unique modules, with fewer cells in them.)

The 75 uses 14 modules identical to the modules in the 90, with the higher capacity cells made with more silicon in the anode.

At some point after they switched over to the 90 and discontinued the 85, Tesla finished using up all of the older cells in 70s and quietly switched to 75s, software locked to 70.

Hi all. So I have the S70D and I know that the battery is actually a 75D. My question is that I understand range loss is about 5% for the first 50,000 miles and then about 1% per annum going forward, but since the 70D is actually a 75KWh pack, would I even see this degradation since I'm only allowed access to 94% of the battery anyway? Or does the system give me a fixed 94% of what is usable of the battery?

I'm at 0.5% range loss after 33K miles and almost two years. Really hope that doesn't jump up another 4.5% in the next 8 months :eek:

• Informative
Reactions: jelloslug
My S70 (no D) has always show a 90% of 218 miles, or 242 miles total Rated Miles. After a little more than a year and 10,000 miles, those values have not changed a bit until recently. I charged to near 100%, drove it down to 25 miles and hit the supercharger for a 95% charge, and back home. Now my 90% is 219, or 243 Rate Miles. I think those numbers are higher than they should be, and they are trending up, so I'm a little concerned about how accurate they are. But I'm not complaining too much, since they really do seem to translate into real world values pretty well.

My S70 (no D) has always show a 90% of 218 miles, or 242 miles total Rated Miles. After a little more than a year and 10,000 miles, those values have not changed a bit until recently. I charged to near 100%, drove it down to 25 miles and hit the supercharger for a 95% charge, and back home. Now my 90% is 219, or 243 Rate Miles. I think those numbers are higher than they should be, and they are trending up, so I'm a little concerned about how accurate they are. But I'm not complaining too much, since they really do seem to translate into real world values pretty well.
Are you sure the increase in range isn't attributed to the newer firmware 2.52.22? I gained 2 miles that I lost when I went to that firmware. Confirmed due to charging to 90% that same night then updated firmware and it reported two more miles after firmware update.

I'm at 0.5% range loss after 33K miles and almost two years. Really hope that doesn't jump up another 4.5% in the next 8 months :eek:

Sounds like you both have the original 70D and not the rare software capped 75D variant.

My June 2016 70D (capped 75D) with close to 10,000 miles, is at 208-210 miles @ 90% charge.

Are you sure the increase in range isn't attributed to the newer firmware 2.52.22? I gained 2 miles that I lost when I went to that firmware. Confirmed due to charging to 90% that same night then updated firmware and it reported two more miles after firmware update.
Could be. That was my first big trip after the update. The more extreme charge and discharge might have affected it, too.
Anyway, I'm happy it's where it is as long as it's realistic. I fear that it's reporting more than it really has, though.

Have 70 purchased June 2016. When I received the car, 90% charge was to 214 miles. 90% charge 7 months later flips between 211 and 212.
Mine was July 2015 S70D. These days 90% Hoover around 207, +/- 1-2 depending on days. I've set it to charge 90% or under most of the time.

Now if I can get my battery to all of a sudden go down 150 @ 90% in the next year. I could get them to give me new batteries lol

Mine was July 2015 S70D. These days 90% Hoover around 207, +/- 1-2 depending on days. I've set it to charge 90% or under most of the time.

Now if I can get my battery to all of a sudden go down 150 @ 90% in the next year. I could get them to give me new batteries lol
I realize you are joking, but to be clear, the warranty will bring your battery back to an appropriate level for it's age, not a new battery.

Reactions: smilepak