Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range displayed in the car is less then advertised

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've read a few threads on this topic and it seems like the range displayed next to the battery icon in the car is based on the rated range not based on driving habits. For accurate range calculations based on my driving habits, I would need to look at the energy app in the car. During charging yesterday, I noticed that if I were to increase the slider to 100%, the range showed max of 295 miles. This was just to see the max range, I usually charge to 80%. I have a 2022 Model Y Performance with about 1000 miles and I thought the rated range was 303 miles. Is my battery degrading this quickly already? Any ideas what is going on?

Tesla did not advertise anything other than the EPA estimate for combined City/Highway driving for the 2022 Tesla Performance Model Y. Ignore this estimate unless you are prepared to drive at under 50 MPH and not use the climate control system for heat or air conditioning.

Charge to 80% daily, 90% for longer trips. Use the Tesla Navigation System when traveling away from home. Stop at all suggested Supercharger locations, don't skip a charging stop. Use A Better Route Planner (ABRP) on your phone or on the web to plan out charging stops for longer trips. This is the way.

The maximum displayed range also changes a lot, even at the same temperature. The only good way to really get a good idea of range loss is to get an app that tracks this over many months, and then taking a look at the overall trend.

In either case, don't worry too much about it, and do what lots of folks recommend here -- switch it to % mode.

What the computer displays as rated range is an estimated calculation based on whack ass math. Every single li-ion battery is not going to be exactly the same so there are going to be minor variances in what you see as 100% charge. Normal. That’s why a lot of people display battery charge as a percentage instead of rated range because that number is reasonably useless.

Reactions: CSFTN and cwerdna
The thing is, this isn't sugar in a measuring cup. Trying to figure out the amount of energy in a really large battery and also how much you would actually be able to get out of it is a very complicated estimation algorithm that isn't very exact. And you are talking about a difference of 8 rated miles units out of 303. That's less than 3% difference. That's already in the noise of the estimated calculation. It's just not going to be that exact. Anything in the 5-10 rated miles variation I wouldn't even give a thought to. That's also why I would not risk driving it down to those very last few rated miles above 0. I would not expect that very last bit to be that precise.

I can't believe how much cruising behind a semi helps. Though I really would only do that in a range emergency. Unless safelite starts carrying Tesla windshields I'll do my best not to crack one.

I've gone through two windshields already in less than 18 months... Damn gravel trucks... I stay way away from them, but it doesn't stop other cars behind them to launch them onto my car. Maybe my quick accelerations to get away from them is hurting my estimated range... Hmmm.

Do any people here have their Scan My Tesla 'nominal pack remaining' amount? I'm at 72.9KWh down from 82.1KWh 'full pack when new'. Quite a big drop... Car has 11K miles and is June '21 build. It's dropped faster than my 2018 Model 3 did.

Do any people here have their Scan My Tesla 'nominal pack remaining' amount? I'm at 72.9KWh down from 82.1KWh 'full pack when new'. Quite a big drop... Car has 11K miles and is June '21 build. It's dropped faster than my 2018 Model 3 did.
I believe the available, usable capacity, when new, was 77/78 kWh while the total capacity was 82 kWh.

So it is normal for the displayed range to be less then advertise when brand new. That is good to hear. I thought that the range displayed next to the battery is not really affected by anything other then the health of the battery?
Best way to see your actual range is to pull up the efficiency screen during your trip. Takes real time measurements on consumption.

• Informative
Reactions: xyeahtony