Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They are supposed to replace with a battery of an energy capacity equivalent to the battery they replace (or at least of that of a car in similar age/mileage). Are you saying that the replacement pack has significantly less range than the one it replaced? If so, you may be able to take that up with them if you have documented evidence of that (like for example rated range much lower).

It's pretty clear however they won't be replacing with a brand new pack or a pack that is like-new in terms of capacity.
Tesla shifted the range around so many times on the SR + that I don't know what to expect from a "like new" pack (240, 250, 260 miles). But when I bought the car it had 240 mile range. And this replacement pack have 210 mile range. I would call that significant. I don't have a specific range number from the battery before I took it in for service. But I only have 10k on the car and good charging habits.

dont forget that there have been reports of Tesla not doing a CAG reset so you have to wait for the computer to do a recalibration before itll up the range. Or alternatively you could run the battery from 100% to <5% and see how many kwh/kms you can get out of it and then check the voltage in Teslafi and see if it matches a discharged battery.

Reactions: AAKEE
dont forget that there have been reports of Tesla not doing a CAG reset so you have to wait for the computer to do a recalibration before itll up the range. Or alternatively you could run the battery from 100% to <5% and see how many kwh/kms you can get out of it and then check the voltage in Teslafi and see if it matches a discharged battery.
Perhaps also give the BMS a chance to get readings at low and high SOC( by letting the car sleep for a couple of hours with low and high SOC).

Tesla shifted the range around so many times on the SR + that I don't know what to expect from a "like new" pack (240, 250, 260 miles). But when I bought the car it had 240 mile range. And this replacement pack have 210 mile range. I would call that significant. I don't have a specific range number from the battery before I took it in for service. But I only have 10k on the car and good charging habits.
Your reference point is your own car, not the shifted ranges that don't apply to your car (unless you got a bump in range from a software update). So you will get a pack with less than 240 rated range, but how much less depends on age/mileage of your car. It's going to be hard to take it up with Tesla if even you are not sure what your full range is before they replaced the pack.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Your reference point is your own car, not the shifted ranges that don't apply to your car (unless you got a bump in range from a software update). So you will get a pack with less than 240 rated range, but how much less depends on age/mileage of your car. It's going to be hard to take it up with Tesla if even you are not sure what your full range is before they replaced the pack.
Yup, I cannot argue anything you say here.

So it seems my best hope is that the battery self-calibrate to something better. I've done some reading on the web over the past days and the anecdotal evidence on how to recover lost range is all over the place.

Forgive me if I did not dig far enough to find this answer, I have been reading a lot of things that hint at answering my question but nothing direct, so I will just ask...

2019 LR RWD M3, Pre COVID I was making my 180 mile round trip commute no problem. At worst 90%-15% in cold (CA) weather. Now that I am back to commuting, I have slightly less efficient tires, some expected degradation (car milage 65K), and as it cools off I am getting home close to 10%. On days I go straight from work to kids soccer, I am getting home 5-6% at the worst. For long term consideration, I will only make this drive 2 days per week until May 22' and may see at work charge options currently non existent by then too.

So my question is: will I do more long term battery damage by charging past 90% to get home above 10% OR is it better to keep the charge at 90% and get home ~10% on some days ~5%?

Forgive me if I did not dig far enough to find this answer, I have been reading a lot of things that hint at answering my question but nothing direct, so I will just ask...

2019 LR RWD M3, Pre COVID I was making my 180 mile round trip commute no problem. At worst 90%-15% in cold (CA) weather. Now that I am back to commuting, I have slightly less efficient tires, some expected degradation (car milage 65K), and as it cools off I am getting home close to 10%. On days I go straight from work to kids soccer, I am getting home 5-6% at the worst. For long term consideration, I will only make this drive 2 days per week until May 22' and may see at work charge options currently non existent by then too.

So my question is: will I do more long term battery damage by charging past 90% to get home above 10% OR is it better to keep the charge at 90% and get home ~10% on some days ~5%?
When charging to a high state of charge (SOC) you always want to do "just in time" charging. This means if you're leaving your house at 8am, you would want the battery to finish charging at around 7:30am or as close to departure time as possible. You want to minimize the amount of time the car "sits" with a high SOC. The majority of battery degradation comes from when the car "sits" at a high SOC. Additionally, if you don't plan on driving the car for an extended period, you want it to "sit" at a SOC of 50% or less. @AAKEE can provide further thoughts as well.

Last edited:
Theoretically a lower SOC-range is better.
But the difference between 90-10(5)% or 100 to >10% should be quite small.

Also, in the most cases it will be the calendar aging that causes the most degradation in the first years of a cars life.
As @Jeremy3292 says; use ”Just in time-charging” so it doesnt sit long at high charge, and you will be fine.

90-5 is theoretically better, but quite small margin and 100-10 is probably not an issue. I do not think you will see any Big difference in degradation depending om which you choose.

I wanted to give a ~30 day update regarding my vehicle battery. My original post MASTER THREAD: Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

The battery has held steadily from a compute standpoint. I set my daily battery to 80% charge, but the inside computer screen will sometimes show 82-85%. I'm not driving heavily due to work from home, so I'm not sure if all of this would change if I had to drive 40 miles a day. But for anyone who has experienced the same type of drop, don't hesitate to give services a call. Don't even talk about 10%-12% drop, just state the facts of what you are seeing. Does it make sense that my 90% battery is at 260ish miles now at 16000-17000 miles? See what they have to say.

I'll continue to monitor and post next month.

1635438343597.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC
I wanted to give a ~30 day update regarding my vehicle battery. My original post MASTER THREAD: Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

The battery has held steadily from a compute standpoint. I set my daily battery to 80% charge, but the inside computer screen will sometimes show 82-85%. I'm not driving heavily due to work from home, so I'm not sure if all of this would change if I had to drive 40 miles a day. But for anyone who has experienced the same type of drop, don't hesitate to give services a call. Don't even talk about 10%-12% drop, just state the facts of what you are seeing. Does it make sense that my 90% battery is at 260ish miles now? See what they have to say.

I'll continue to monitor and post next month.

View attachment 726682
Doesn't seem like anything is wrong with your battery at all. Also, if you are only commuting <40 miles every day, it would be best to just charge to 50% every day. Low SOC is better.

Reactions: AAKEE
That's pretty solid evidence that 90 percent is bad for the battery. So why is Tesla recommending this?
They aren't.
Look at the charge settings screen. They show two areas for where you can set your charge limit. One is "DAILY", for constant use every normal day. That area is not just one point at 90%. It is a large range from 50% to 90%. The other area at the top is for occasional use and is marked "TRIPS".

If you keep your limit in that area in TRIPS for a few days in a row, the car will show you a warning that it's not very healthy for the battery to do that often.

So with 91% being something Tesla discourages, where do people get this idea that they are recommending 90% as perfect or ideal? They certainly are not. Something lower, toward the middle of that 50-90% area would certainly be a bit better.

Definetely better arriving with 5% than leaving with 95%

For two and a half years my rear drive, LR M3 charged to 250 miles at 80%. Then, suddenly, it charged to 245 miles. Now, in same way, it will charge to 239 miles. I expected a slow battery degradation, not the sudden changes. Seems like the effect of a software change rather than the result of time and charging.
Is this normal? Your thoughts and experience?
Thanks

For two and a half years my rear drive, LR M3 charged to 250 miles at 80%. Then, suddenly, it charged to 245 miles. Now, in same way, it will charge to 239 miles. I expected a slow battery degradation, not the sudden changes. Seems like the effect of a software change rather than the result of time and charging.
Is this normal? Your thoughts and experience?
Thanks

yes, normal. degradation isnt gradual as its usually software based whenever the car "recalibrates" which happenes in chunks.

yes, normal. degradation isnt gradual as its usually software based whenever the car "recalibrates" which happenes in chunks.
Exactly, perceived degradation from looking at the range isnt, but the real degradation/loss of actual capacity is.

I had not really lost any range on the screen until a few weeks ago, after updating the software the range and capacity(NFP) dropped about 3-5km

The vertical dotted line is the update to 2021.32.21 at time 09/28/2021 21:41
Quite clear that the software had sone input on the NFP/range.

E3889244-F419-495E-B622-B0293CEA3312.jpeg

Not to be picky( :) ) but, actually the lower the SOC range is, the better for the battery. So the best range is not around 50%. As low as possible is causing the least degradation.
If you need 30% depth of discharge, cycles between 40 and 10% is better than centered around 50%( 65-35%).
Tesla instruction to charge asap if below 10 or 20% is most likely coupled to the risk if discharging the 12V battery and getting stranded.
All research show us that small cycles at low SOC is causing minimal degradation.
This advice may be sound but for those of us who purchased a performance model its impractical. And Tesla should not sell a performance model that advertises 3 seconds to 60 assuming 90 percent charge and then at the same time sell me a car that will have range degradation accelerate by keeping the soc at 90. At a minimum they need to disclose this stuff up front. I did my research but never in a million years did I realize it was this complicated. You want the advertised HP? Charge to 90. You want the battery to last? Charge to 50. It's completely inconsistent and beyond comprehension of the average car buyer. What a can of worms. I bought this car over an RS3 and in some ways that would have been a whole lot simpler. I love the car but the "real" Tesla experience in terms of performance and range is quite different than the one they are marketing (yes I know they don't market).

This advice may be sound but for those of us who purchased a performance model its impractical. And Tesla should not sell a performance model that advertises 3 seconds to 60 assuming 90 percent charge and then at the same time sell me a car that will have range degradation accelerate by keeping the soc at 90. At a minimum they need to disclose this stuff up front. I did my research but never in a million years did I realize it was this complicated. You want the advertised HP? Charge to 90. You want the battery to last? Charge to 50. It's completely inconsistent and beyond comprehension of the average car buyer. What a can of worms. I bought this car over an RS3 and in some ways that would have been a whole lot simpler. I love the car but the "real" Tesla experience in terms of performance and range is quite different than the one they are marketing (yes I know they don't market).
I think you are overreacting a bit here and it’s really not that serious. This is more of a battery nerd thread and what we are talking about is what is absolutely best for the battery. There is nothing wrong with charging to 90%.

This is really no different from any ICE car either. Want the very best performance from your ICE engine? Change the oil every 3,000 miles and use full synthetic and 93 octane fuel. Is that really necessary? No. Will using regular Dino oil and changing every 5,000 miles and using 87 octane be just fine? Yes.

Same type of discussion here. Do you want the absolute best battery health you could possibly get? Then keep your SOC around 50% or lower. Do you want the best performance from your car and have *relatively* a little bit more battery degradation? Then charge to 90% and enjoy the drive 👍🏼

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H and AAKEE