Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Just wanted to confirm best practices for my situation. New 2022 M3LR, located in Hawaii with 20 mi RT commute. Probably use a bit more for cabin over heat protection since I park in the sun. I'm planning on setting limited to 70% and just plugging it in everyday to L1. Anything different I should do?

Just wanted to confirm best practices for my situation. New 2022 M3LR, located in Hawaii with 20 mi RT commute. Probably use a bit more for cabin over heat protection since I park in the sun. I'm planning on setting limited to 70% and just plugging it in everyday to L1. Anything different I should do?
With an NCA battery, it may be better for battery longevity to charge to 55% or less daily if that is sufficient.

• Informative
Reactions: HyperE
I got 2021 Model 3 performance in June 2021. I mostly charge at home at 10 to 15 amps to 80%. Odometer is at 16363. My work commute is only 20 miles round trip. I take longer trips to San Francisco, Sacramento, Los Angles once twice a year. At first 100% charged was 314 miles and now it's down to 295 miles. Back then 80% was 247 miles and now 80% is 230 miles. So it's only been 14 months is that normal drop amount or it a little fast. Please post your experience with your model 3 range to compare.

I got 2021 Model 3 performance in June 2021. I mostly charge at home at 10 to 15 amps to 80%. Odometer is at 16363. My work commute is only 20 miles round trip. I take longer trips to San Francisco, Sacramento, Los Angles once twice a year. At first 100% charged was 314 miles and now it's down to 295 miles. Back then 80% was 247 miles and now 80% is 230 miles. So it's only been 14 months is that normal drop amount or it a little fast. Please post your experience with your model 3 range to compare.
Down below, s chart woth the green line fleet average for 2021 M3P.
I did not get teslafi from day one, thats why the odo starts at 5990 km.
Range is in km also, miles x 1.609 = km.

Your 100% range is 295 mi = 475km.
Seems very average, and normal for a climate like yours.

During the first years the battery age much more from time than the miles. A car that is driven very little still degrade about as mich the other cars does.

Lack of information provided 🤔🤔🤔
Ex: What tires? How short is "short"?

Yes, short trips will hurt in summer and winter, because of the energy used to get the interior temperature down to comfortable, relative to the energy used for the trip itself.

Suggest a road trip to try to understand if you have a real problem or not.

Also look at the energy application to see what your usage is and the pattern of energy usage.

Note: It is very rare, but not completely unknown, for there to be a problem affecting range that needs a service visit.

Remember the advertised EPA range only applies to people who drive close to the EPA test pattern, though you only run into a significant variation when doing Freeway speeds or in frigid temps.

Choice of tires and rims also affects range.

I have an early 2018 with 91,000 miles. Last week I ranged charged and saw 300 miles.

Attachments

• 599E5F96-AFEA-492F-97F0-0998FB946D4C.jpeg
    599E5F96-AFEA-492F-97F0-0998FB946D4C.jpeg
    89.7 KB · Views: 244
I have a new Model 3 supposed long range and I only get less than 150 miles !!! The claim is that I do too many short trips!!!!
For example, currently I have used 70% of charge and have only driven 107 miles!!!
When you select the Car icon and scroll down to software, it will tell you what you have. Actually your phone app, will even tell you what you have. Just scroll down.

Questions:
  1. Did you buy it new?
  2. Why do you mention that "new Model 3 supposed long range"?
  3. Your bill of sale, VIN, etc. would all point to the spec you have
If this is trull a long range, then I strongly urge you to set up a service call and have it checked out. All the points you mentioned, just don’t add up to a long range vehicle, in my opinion.

Last edited:
I have a new Model 3 supposed long range and I only get less than 150 miles !!! The claim is that I do too many short trips!!!!
For example, currently I have used 70% of charge and have only driven 107 miles!!!
This is of course completely normal. As others have mentioned, Sentry and other feature drain can really add up.

Not an issue (except for cost and convenience - substantial impact there) since this does not impact your actual highway range (which is going to be around 250 miles).

Reactions: dhrivnak
You can ask ABRP to "calibrate" your car and it will calculate your "battery degradation" based upon data it pulls from when you supercharge. Here's mine:
View attachment 824476
if you put -3% this means that you are with 3% more than intial capacity?
BTW you can connect the car to ABRP and have many parameters related to your actual car (Tesla Password needed).
The degradation in ABRP (at least for my 2021 Model 3 Performance W/20") is not really correct because it says that the NFP is 74,2 (SMT says 75,1)
the SoC is correct (50%) , but the battery left is 245 on ABRP and 239 on SMT (and in the screen car also).
Degradation is 0,9% in ABRP , probably estimating the battery when new as a 75kWh battery instead of the actual 82,1 kWh.
SO I'm asking where the ABRP when connected to the car is reading the data.
I think that the consumption at 110 km/h is a good data (178 Wh/km) because it is derived from the actual consumption and your actual drive style and the forecast prevision data of range left at the end of a trip is always correct.

if you put -3% this means that you are with 3% more than intial capacity?
BTW you can connect the car to ABRP and have many parameters related to your actual car (Tesla Password needed).
The degradation in ABRP (at least for my 2021 Model 3 Performance W/20") is not really correct because it says that the NFP is 74,2 (SMT says 75,1)
the SoC is correct (50%) , but the battery left is 245 on ABRP and 239 on SMT (and in the screen car also).
Degradation is 0,9% in ABRP , probably estimating the battery when new as a 75kWh battery instead of the actual 82,1 kWh.
SO I'm asking where the ABRP when connected to the car is reading the data.
I think that the consumption at 110 km/h is a good data (178 Wh/km) because it is derived from the actual consumption and your actual drive style and the forecast prevision data of range left at the end of a trip is always correct.
The people who run ABRP are in Europe. They have a twitter account, you can try asking them where they draw their data. It would be nice if these app developers noted which numbers are assumptions. I figured anything that doesn't show it's pulling from an API could be an assumption.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life