Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla's website now lists the AWD LR at 322 miles of range. What planet are they on when most of us are showing sub-300 numbers? I think they need a reality check as it's my understanding that most LR RWD folks aren't getting 322 of rated range. Maybe the new software update will work some magic, but the optics of this for existing owners isn't great (even if the reality is there's been little to no degregation of the actual battery).

What app are you using to get this data? At 90% charge and when i'm driving, i only get about 300KM range. I'm starting to wonder if I have battery issues or degradation that is not normal. thoughts?

You in Miles or kms? That sounds like a dud of a battery if it's in kms or you have a lead foot :)

Here's a tidbit to calm everyone's concerns regarding degradation.
upload_2019-11-1_12-2-24.png

MAR 12, 2019, Odometer = 19666 (the devil!) > Battery = 498km (estimated)

upload_2019-11-1_12-3-36.png

Yesterday, OCT 31, 2019, Odometer = 46006 > Battery = 497.84

Highlighting the 497's from the past week (estimated)
upload_2019-11-1_12-6-1.png

If we are to believe these numbers. Over the past 26,000kms, the battery lost 1km of range (I charge to 90% a few times a week). Usually 88% gets me 437km/438kms most of the time. All the spikes up and down between these two dates and odometer readings is software related / incomplete charging. Look at the last two entries, I had TeslaFi set the battery to 50% and start charging to test something and the BMS instantly read 88% = 433.06kms. It's all a guess-o-meter!

Drive and enjoy your car and look at degradation at 100,000kms. Then it may be significant.

Ap is web based logger call TeslaFi:

Users may enter your referral code when signing up or use the following url: Sign Up

Last edited:
Reactions: kelly and KenC
I also got mine July 2018 - LR RWD - That's about the best I can get also.... and I get the same SC answer...

And add me to the list also. July 2018, LR RWD. Range at 100% is 300 (90% is 270). My drop wasn't gradual, it was a step change around 15k, now 21k miles. SC says all is good. Never did see the mythical range improvement to 325 that some reported. No change in driving habits to help explain it.

You in Miles or kms? That sounds like a dud of a battery if it's in kms or you have a lead foot :)

Here's a tidbit to calm everyone's concerns regarding degradation.
View attachment 472055
MAR 12, 2019, Odometer = 19666 (the devil!) > Battery = 498km (estimated)

View attachment 472056
Yesterday, OCT 31, 2019, Odometer = 46006 > Battery = 497.84

Highlighting the 497's from the past week (estimated)
View attachment 472057

If we are to believe these numbers. Over the past 26,000kms, the battery lost 1km of range (I charge to 90% a few times a week). Usually 88% gets me 437km/438kms most of the time. All the spikes up and down between these two dates and odometer readings is software related / incomplete charging. Look at the last two entries, I had TeslaFi set the battery to 50% and start charging to test something and the BMS instantly read 88% = 433.06kms. It's all a guess-o-meter!

Drive and enjoy your car and look at degradation at 100,000kms. Then it may be significant.

Ap is web based logger call TeslaFi:

Users may enter your referral code when signing up or use the following url: Sign Up
It's in KM. I don't even get to 500km. I think I might need to schedule a service centre appointment.

i bought my model 3 in aug 2018. After the software upgrade I only got 316 miles when charged to 100%. Last night I got only 312 miles from 5% SOC to 100%. A 4% degradation within 10 months? Have others degraded similarly?

There's been many threads about this very same issue. Though most of them are long reads. The most important take away are:

- Contrary to popular belief, there is no way to accurately find out a battery's capacity. At any one point you'll get a voltage read-out, which tells you the percentage of charge, but it has nothing to do with capacity or degradation. Many owners simply prefer to set the readout to percentage instead.

- The range report is just an estimate. It's an estimate made through calculation on how much energy is used to bring your battery from one percentage of charge to another, based on your last few charges. This value pulls data from multiple charges, not just one. Some Tesla rep suggest doing a full charge 5 times to reset the stats. I don't suggest doing that for the health of your battery.

- Battery degradation is highest on the first year of owner ship, then degradation will plateau out. So it will not be useful to base off your current degradation info to calculate how things will be 5 years down the road.

The warranty is an 8 year, 120k mile warranty at 70% capacity. So unless you're coming close to any one of those metrics, there's nothing you can really do anyways. In fact, if for any reason you're losing much more than 4% capacity per year, then you're on your way to getting a new battery, which is a good thing.

Likely because you're somewhat clueless =) The rated range doesn't depend on your driving style, doesn't depend on the weather outside, doesn't depend on your horoscope or anything else that is unique to you. It is a very straightforward calc of energy stored divided by fixed energy per mile (that's the same for everyone). Ok, seems Tesla might be messing a bit with that constant of how many watts per mile you need but generally that has stayed constant.

The rated range obviously doesn't mean that's how many miles you'll be able to drive. That DOES depend on your driving style and all that. But the number of miles that show up in the top left corner does NOT depend on anything but the actual energy stored.

For a lot of people after last few software upgrades the ability of the battery to store energy has IMMEDIATELY dropped by 5-10%. It's doesn't need to be "recalibrated" or anything along those lines. Tesla needs to be up front and tell us what they found and why they're reducing the capacity of our battery packs intentionally. Likely this is a safety concern but they're trying to cover this up and that's not the way to do it... it'll come out, it'll be less painful if they step up to the plate and tell us what's happening themselves.
My attempted LR AWD "full charge" yesterday stopped at 97% (285 mi indicated) before stopping. I thought the cars would continue to charge to "100% indicated", even with degradation. What's with this?

View attachment 467946

That is exactly what has happened to me except my mileage is less (17K) and my rated range after stopping at 97 percent because it wont charge any further, is at an even worse 280 miles.
But much more importantly, I can drive an average of 245 Wh/mile and not even get 280 milies....I have tried it...and thus I truly have lost significant capacity, not just fancy mathematical prediction modeling.

I can drive an average of 245 Wh/mile and not even get 280 milies....I have tried it...and thus I truly have lost significant capacity, not just fancy mathematical prediction modeling.

That's normal - you have to get about ~230Wh/mi to ~234Wh/mi to get one mile traveled for one rated mile used "rolloff." That is the case for everyone with an AWD. The "100%" range being at around 288rmi is not that unusual, but it's not great. But these are two distinct issues. The rated miles show you your energy capacity. That battery gauge shows you how many miles you can travel (before hitting 0 rated miles on that battery gauge), if you get about 230-234Wh/mi on the trip meter. If you get higher consumption, scale down the miles proportionally. If you get lower consumption, scale up those rated miles proportionally. It'll all line up pretty well assuming you're talking about one continuous drive without stopping.

So for your 245Wh/mi example, starting at 280 rated miles, you'll be able to travel about 263 miles. That is normal.

Here goes nothing. Purchased 12/18
Rated range: 264
Current @ 100%: 243
Same as new range on Standard+
Just saw where the latest update for Standard+ allows charging at 700+ MPH.
Not one enhancement to battery or charging capabilities to the MidRange.
Paid much more for the MR and it’s inferior to the S+. Please let me know if I’m wrong here. Disappointment at its best. Thanks Tesla!!
D

Got some pictures of charging?
See attached. I’ve booked a service appointment because even in the summer when I did a trip from Ottawa to Toronto, I didn’t get 500km range. Could be an issue with my battery. Forgot to mention that when my battery is at 90% in the morning before i drive, the range says 430KM, but as soon as i start hitting the road, the screen shot i upload is what i experience.

Attachments

• ED8948AC-4A31-4652-9021-A7E3F7BCE99E.jpeg
    ED8948AC-4A31-4652-9021-A7E3F7BCE99E.jpeg
    265.9 KB · Views: 56
  • D17A0F83-328B-421E-A910-17796EBAD070.jpeg
    D17A0F83-328B-421E-A910-17796EBAD070.jpeg
    180.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 6332C883-A0A9-473F-92C4-F7104E19D91A.jpeg
    6332C883-A0A9-473F-92C4-F7104E19D91A.jpeg
    281.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 3A80F3F9-B6F7-432D-8F1F-ADFA965091FA.jpeg
    3A80F3F9-B6F7-432D-8F1F-ADFA965091FA.jpeg