Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ahh...the 280 isn't guaranteed. its the way you drive it, just like with ICE.

1) never drive it to 0, I don't think that's a good idea. (why would anyone do this unless it happened by mistake?) - keep it between 20-80 is the general rule for daily driving, at least what I've been told by most. but at minimum, try to charge it by the time you get to 10-15%
2) if I'm in sport mode and I drive like I stole it, sure I'm not getting the 300 miles.
3) in regular or chill mode if I drive 60-70mph then ill get close to what the car estimates

just like if I drive my ICE vehicle at 90mph down the highway the mpg drops from estimated 18-21 to 12-14mpg...

That user is aware of that (or should be, as they have posted something similar to what they said there and had it explained to them a few different times). I dont believe they care about the explanation.

Reactions: Boomer19
Thanks! I did read through that one already :D What's the consensus on max % charge for optimal battery life? The manual is surprising lacking in that department.
Well, that's because the manual has to balance what the "optimal" % for battery life is versus trying to sell a practical product to the public that they can reasonably use. And those are at cross purposes.

From lots of studies on lithium ion battery types, they don't like being at the extreme upper or lower ends for a lot of the time. Toward the middle produces the least degradation long term. So that is generally "optimum". But no one is going to be able to sell an electric car telling people they should keep it around middle state of charge all the time. That's not practical, as it doesn't give people very much driving range to work with. So you need to set it higher to be able to reasonably use the car.

You have to pick whatever balance works well for you. So the manual makes that pretty straightforward and simple. They designate a region from 50% to 90% as the general area for all the time everyday use, and you pick wherever you like in there. And then they mark off the 90%-100% area as "Trips" and say that it's OK to use sometimes, but warn against doing that all the time.

Reactions: Boomer19
Not that I dont
That user is aware of that (or should be, as they have posted something similar to what they said there and had it explained to them a few different times). I dont believe they care about the explanation.
Not that I dont care about the explanation, but I was bringing up my situation in light because if one has a problem --> most likely someone else has a similar problem.

Ran to zero because I did a ROAD TRIP driving 65 mph on cruise control (not auto pilot). Couldnt get to the next station because the battery is incapable of holding charge. I brought this up numerous times on the forums and it brings a lot of (negative/youdontknow/youdontcare) bad vibes, responses and attention. Take it as you will. I posted several times with data that some users wont dare have to do because they baby their m3 like a princess.

Not that I dont

Not that I dont care about the explanation, but I was bringing up my situation in light because if one has a problem --> most likely someone else has a similar problem.

Ran to zero because I did a ROAD TRIP driving 65 mph on cruise control (not auto pilot). Couldnt get to the next station because the battery is incapable of holding charge. I brought this up numerous times on the forums and it brings a lot of (negative/youdontknow/youdontcare) bad vibes, responses and attention. Take it as you will. I posted several times with data that some users wont dare have to do because they baby their m3 like a princess.

This isnt moderation comments, just my own personal comments, but your posts got the response they got, in my opinion, because you refuse to accept the explanations that were provided. BTW, the model 3 does not have cruise control. They call that autopilot. There are definitely people that this vehicle is not right for, and since used car values are through the roof right now, you should consider selling your model 3 and moving back to an ICE vehicle.

Based on things you have posted, you will never be happy with it, and there is no reason to be unhappy with a vehicle, when you can sell it and move on.

This isnt moderation comments, just my own personal comments, but your posts got the response they got, in my opinion, because you refuse to accept the explanations that were provided. BTW, the model 3 does not have cruise control. They call that autopilot. There are definitely people that this vehicle is not right for, and since used car values are through the roof right now, you should consider selling your model 3 and moving back to an ICE vehicle.

Based on things you have posted, you will never be happy with it, and there is no reason to be unhappy with a vehicle, when you can sell it and move on.
If you read my posts (plural), I posted and taken many user's advice and posted data on it and still comes the tesla fanboys all negative and hostile to my results. Cruise Control = Lane assist + Set Speed + 3 car distance. So, maybe not cruise control but not yet standard auto pilot?
I'll sell when I sell.
Otherwise, I can continually contribute as a community member by providing and sharing my experiences and results.

Some like it, most dont. Move along.

If you read my posts (plural), I posted and taken many user's advice and posted data on it and still comes the tesla fanboys all negative and hostile to my results. Cruise Control = Lane assist + Set Speed + 3 car distance. So, maybe not cruise control but not yet standard auto pilot?
I'll sell when I sell.
Otherwise, I can continually contribute as a community member by providing and sharing my experiences and results.

Some like it, most dont. Move along.

Cruise control + lane assist + set speed = autopilot. You certainly have the right to continue to be unhappy and post complaints about range, you do you. The "you should sell" was not coming from an aggressive place, it was coming from a place of "no car is worth being unhappy for, and you are obviously unhappy".

=======================
(moderator note: as I said before, the above was just a personal statement. Of course you are welcome to share whatever experiences here you want to, as long as you follow TMC rules, which you absolutely 100% have.)

Last edited:
Hello Everyone, I am a newbie. Picked up my m3 sr+ a week ago ( used with 25k on it ). i have setup teslafi to monitor the usage. today morning, i charged by car on a level 2 changer drove it home and parked it. looking at the data i see there is a range loss of 5 miles with in a 10 min window. i could find any details on what caused this drain. Sleep attempts show normal on teslafi. My sentry mode is off, cabin overheat disabled. i am attaching the data file, can some one please help me understand what else i have to turn off the optimize and reduce the drain. I live in a apartment and do not have access to home charger. Appreciate if I can get some pointers on what else has to checked to understand the cause of this 5 miles drain in 10 min window.

SnazzyParkDrain.JPG

Previously my 100% max battery was anywhere from 303-307 miles according to my tesla app. Recently I just noticed my max battery is ranging from 297-300. It may have been maybe about a week or so from where i saw 307 to where it is today at 297. A roughly 4% drop in battery capacity in a week. Is this something thats normal? Do I need to cycle my battery? or worrying too much about thing?

I mostly charge on a level 2 charger and charge to about 85% capacity. Rarely super charge and rarely drop below 50% capacity

Hello Everyone, I am a newbie. Picked up my m3 sr+ a week ago ( used with 25k on it ). i have setup teslafi to monitor the usage. today morning, i charged by car on a level 2 changer drove it home and parked it. looking at the data i see there is a range loss of 5 miles with in a 10 min window. i could find any details on what caused this drain. Sleep attempts show normal on teslafi. My sentry mode is off, cabin overheat disabled. i am attaching the data file, can some one please help me understand what else i have to turn off the optimize and reduce the drain. I live in a apartment and do not have access to home charger. Appreciate if I can get some pointers on what else has to checked to understand the cause of this 5 miles drain in 10 min window.

View attachment 668395

The car will often recalculate the battery SOC after parking as it's better able to get a reading on the actual SOC and resting battery voltages when there is no load on the battery pack. So it's not actual vampire drain. Otherwise, to lose 2% SOC in a few minutes, you'd have to be running the heater on MAX.

Previously my 100% max battery was anywhere from 303-307 miles according to my tesla app. Recently I just noticed my max battery is ranging from 297-300. It may have been maybe about a week or so from where i saw 307 to where it is today at 297. A roughly 4% drop in battery capacity in a week. Is this something thats normal? Do I need to cycle my battery? or worrying too much about thing?

I mostly charge on a level 2 charger and charge to about 85% capacity. Rarely super charge and rarely drop below 50% capacity

You're probably worrying too much. If you want to minimize the rate of actual capacity loss (not what the car reports), you'd do better to reduce the max and average SOC farther. But this also tends to cause the BMS to drift faster, too.

Need advise here as I just bought my Tesla. I have 1k super charging miles based on referral but I am reading that super chargers damage the battery? Can someone help me understand following -

1. I would like to continue charging at super charger until I use up my free charging miles as I have a super charger near my home. Is that a bad idea?
2. There is value for Charge Current that showed at 32A when I charged and looks to be adjustable. Is there any optimal value I should set it at to ensure it is slow charging and not hurting battery so I can continue to charge at super charger? I don't mind if I have to wait little longer to finish charging.
3. Is Tesla home charging kit best to utilize or are there any better ones by chargepoint etc that are recommended? Which charger do people use at home?
4. My car is not going to be used daily. Is it a good or bad or doesn't matter if I charge daily or not? I intend to charge when battery drops to about 30% and charge up to 80% whenever I do charge it.
5. What do you use TeslaFi.com for? :) Is it advisable to create account there?

Sorry, missed this one. I don't have it because I'm a cheapskate, and I'm sure others will answer, but it tracks charging/discharging, miles driven, firmware updates, and so on. In retrospect it'd be a nice-to-have thing, but I don't see it as being worth $5 a month. Yes, this is from a guy who spent $50k on a car.

Hello there! I am picking up my M3 in about 1-2 wks. Can anyone tell me if I should purchase the Wall charger or just purchase the wall adapter? I already have the 240V outlet installed in my garage. Just trying to figure out if the $500 is necessary when I can spend $45.

Need advise here as I just bought my Tesla. I have 1k super charging miles based on referral but I am reading that super chargers damage the battery? Can someone help me understand following -

1. I would like to continue charging at super charger until I use up my free charging miles as I have a super charger near my home. Is that a bad idea?
2. There is value for Charge Current that showed at 32A when I charged and looks to be adjustable. Is there any optimal value I should set it at to ensure it is slow charging and not hurting battery so I can continue to charge at super charger? I don't mind if I have to wait little longer to finish charging.
3. Is Tesla home charging kit best to utilize or are there any better ones by chargepoint etc that are recommended? Which charger do people use at home?
4. My car is not going to be used daily. Is it a good or bad or doesn't matter if I charge daily or not? I intend to charge when battery drops to about 30% and charge up to 80% whenever I do charge it.
Think about how much 1k SC miles are worth. Let's say 250kWh at ~20cents/kWh. So, about $50+. Is it worth it? How much time will you waste at a SC near your home relative to just plugging in at home and walking away? How much coffee will you buy waiting for your car to fill while at the SC? Is it really worth to go out of your way to SC, just because you've got $50+ worth of free miles?

Think about how much 1k SC miles are worth. Let's say 250kWh at ~20cents/kWh. So, about $50+. Is it worth it? How much time will you waste at a SC near your home relative to just plugging in at home and walking away? How much coffee will you buy waiting for your car to fill while at the SC? Is it really worth to go out of your way to SC, just because you've got $50+ worth of free miles?

More than that, I dont want to immediately invest $1500 just for ability to charge at home when I have super charger very close to home and I do not typically expect me to be in a position to require charging every day as this car is not going to have long commutes. I can use super charger rather than adding 1500 dollars in addition right now. That's why really interested to know if super charger hurts battery at all - but learned so far that as long as I don't let battery go below 20% and charge upto <80% seem to be what retains batter capacity the best.

More than that, I dont want to immediately invest $1500 just for ability to charge at home
You can already charge at home with the UMC. Even 120V charging may be plenty, its typically 5mi/hr, so if you drive less than 60 miles for your commute you should be fine. If you use the car only every other day, you can take 180 mile drives on the days you use it.