Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Newbie here. I’ve worked out the difference between Estimated Range and the Rated Range which is displayed on main screen.

But I can’t understand why the Rated Range displayed is lower than the 360 mile WLTP range quoted at 100% charge. I never seen more than about 335 miles on mine. Can anyone help me understand the difference please?

Fun little experiment to try:

My projected range had been trending down over the summer, to around 278. I generally finish my daily driving between 6:00 - 8:00 PM, and have been immediately charging to 90%. Recently, I had a new low where my range had shown 275. I then changed my charge level to 80% and enabled scheduled charging to start at 3:00 AM every day, and within a few days it bounced back up to ~290 miles.

For context, my projected range has had various fluctuations of about +/- 5 miles over the past 2 years (the period I’ve been using TeslaFi), with the average being about 285. I’ve used various charging methods, but typically have been charging to 90% daily on a Tesla Wall Charger.

The range on the top of the screen is EPA rated range based on current charge level. The Charge graph tells you estimated range over the last 5/15/30 as selected average energy use during driving. The EPA range is some unknown formula. The estimated range based on average driving from the graph is more accurate. Often, when highway driving, my graph range will exceed the EPA range. Other times when driving in hilly areas my range will be less than EPA estimate. Latest software updates allow easy switching of EPA range to percentage charge by touching the EPA number. If you touch the battery symbol, the charging page pops up. Both are short cuts to those pages versus going to the charge menu or the display menu to switch to %. Since EPA mileage is almost useless, many leave the value in percentage. Similar to ICE cars, actual mileage will vary based on driving conditions compared to EPA estimates. A former ICE car was rated at 34/19 Highway/City. My actuals were more like 24/15 in real driving. What is very good about Tesla is using the Navigation, it will fairly accurately estimate remaining charge at destination or round trip as Tesla takes into consideration changes in elevation and traffic times. It also uses published speed limits. So on a highway if limit 70 and estimated remaining charge will be 15% at destination and you are driving 80, you will see the remaining drop to 14/13/12 etc. Then the car will pop a message saying to reduce speed to (X) to make destination. Conversely, if driving at say 68 in the 70, you will see destination remaining start to climb (15/16/17) etc. Range anxiety is a non-issue as the navigation will route you through needed charge stops and figure minimum charge needed at each stop to save time to destination. Charging will stop at what is needed to make next stop. You can always add more if desired. Also, if cross country, there is usually a charge stop shop of the one headed towards to speed reduction is not desired (i.e. painting 80 in a 70).

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki and mrau
Flybyglass wrote, "The range on the top of the screen is EPA rated range based on current charge level." The OP is from the UK and the WLTP range uses a different set of metrics which result in a more generous range rating. EPA ratings (both for ICE and EV cars) are determined under what I would call false pretenses. The cars are driven without using the heater or AC and certainly not in real world situations. My house is at roughly 800 feet above sea level. Once a week my wife and I go to the nearest supermarket which is at about 230 feet above sea level. It's a 9 mile drive and the speed limit is 50 mph. On the way there we usually use 6 miles of range as long as the heat or AC isn't on. On the way back we usually use 13 miles of range. That's because we are going uphill on the way back and have a trunk full of groceries as well.

Tesla Newbie here. I’ve worked out the difference between Estimated Range and the Rated Range which is displayed on main screen.

But I can’t understand why the Rated Range displayed is lower than the 360 mile WLTP range quoted at 100% charge. I never seen more than about 335 miles on mine. Can anyone help me understand the difference please?
First, it’s not recommended that you charge to 100% on a regular basis - doing so is detrimental to battery longevity.
Second, there are a zillion threads on this topic here on this forum, including one that’s “stickied” at the top of the forum.
Third, most here would suggest that you switch your range display to percentage and not worry about it again.
Enjoy your car!

Reactions: Gasaraki
There's only 2 range that matters. There's the range based on what Tesla things the efficiency is --- its shown in energy graph as the gray dashed "rated" line --- and this thing is permanently fixed. Then there's the range that you should expect based on your driving style and environment.

Any other agency or authority tested range does not matter. It's a number on their own report. (obviously) does not and cannot impact your usage.

So I think the "rated" range for my Europe Model 3 performance is 165-170Wh/km or something like that. Meaning when battery is 100% the computer believes I'll get 450-480km or thereabouts.

What I know I can get out of the car is from ~195Wh/km from lifetime usage, so I know I can squeeze 380km from 100%-0%.

There's a 3rd range that you will find which is the projected range which is based on your last 10/25/50km of driving... but its just a short-term based project. I dont care about this that much, and I dont care about WLTP/EPA/QWERTY ratings at all.

tesla-model-3-firmware-version-9-0-energy-usage-jpg.17114

The WLTP range is no where near realistic out of the 3 biggest testing agencies. The EPA rating believe it or not, it probably the most accurate. You can actually get that range if you tried. The WLTP is impossible.

Thanks all for your advice. Much appreciated.

I never seen more than about 335 miles on mine

Rated Range which is displayed on main screen.

The rated range displayed on the main screen is an indicator of how much energy you have left, basically directly, within the limits of the BMS ability to estimate it. It's as accurate as the BMS or any estimate of energy in the pack can be.

You see a max of 335 miles because in the UK and in Europe on early 2021 models, they were limited to less than the 77.8kWh (which gives 353 rated miles) on the US 2021s. They were instead limited to ~75kWh. This is because you have either an LG battery or a limited Panasonic battery (the limit is by software - it never charges to 100%).

With the same constant Wh/mi value, that 335 miles corresponds to about 74kWh (so about 75kWh as I said above).

All these numbers include the buffer, so usable energy above 0%/0 rated miles is 95.5% of these values.

More recent European vehicles are getting larger packs, I think, but it's a very complicated situation and I think the UK may be different. With some digging into @eivissa 's posts, you'll find those details, in the 2021 sticky thread.

I got a hard hit on a Tesla-subforum on facebook yesterday. Someone had lost range and the question was if that was normal.
I wrote that 10% is normal for a 2 year old Model 3.

I know what I have read and seen on TMC before, but to make it clear:

Is 10% degradation(range loss on the range indicator actually) normal or is it not normal ?

I got a hard hit on a Tesla-subforum on facebook yesterday. Someone had lost range and the question was if that was normal.
I wrote that 10% is normal for a 2 year old Model 3.

I know what I have read and seen on TMC before, but to make it clear:

Is 10% degradation(range loss on the range indicator actually) normal or is it not normal ?
It’s totally normal. Definitely there are people doing better than that. There are also people doing worse.

Reactions: AAKEE