Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2021 and at 90%, I only have 217 miles. Should I contact Tesla since this is no way close to the 263 I should have?

Attachments

• tsla charge.PNG
    tsla charge.PNG
    369.5 KB · Views: 69
I have a 2021 and at 90%, I only have 217 miles. Should I contact Tesla since this is no way close to the 263 I should have?

Unless or until your car has 70% capacity loss (which in your case would be 184 miles) you will be completely, utterly, 1000% wasting your time if you contact tesla. The answer will almost assuredly be "this is normal, within spec" or some variation of that, or possibly some mis information about the car "learning your driving habits" or something.

70%, because this is the battery warranty for your car (8 years 100k miles, 70% capacity)

So, no, you should not contact tesla.

thats not true. iron batteries do degrade initially more being kept at 90% compared to 50%, however, the high SOC forms a protective film (at least thats the theory) at the anode which prevents further degradation so eventually 90% SOC vehicles degrade actually less than vehicles kept at 50%.
Interesting. I guess we’ll see how it all turns out!

No, there is no need. You’ve only lost 8% capacity assuming the BMS has a good estimate. How old is the vehicle exactly and what is the mileage? Ah…10k…missed the post.

Seems very normal. You’ve been using the car!

Reactions: Stan930
Would you guys consider this odd? In the Teslafi screenshot below, you can see a pretty significant drop after my car hit 45k miles, back in July of this year.

View attachment 724193

Some backstory: I bought this car from Tesla used in May of this year. It had 40k miles on it. It's a 2018 Model 3 Long Range RWD. I drive this thing a lot for work, and I'm up to about 52k miles on it now, since I purchased it in May of this year.

Theres a second drop on that screenshot around the 51k mile mark and the curve is continuing downward a what seems an odd pace. My charging habits are: Charge to 90% daily, car is garage kept and the garage doesnt get hotter than about 80F. I live in South East TN. Every 3 or 4 weeks, I will do the BMS recalibration mambo, where I charge to 90, and then drive it daily, with each day drawing about 10% from the pack. The car enters a sleep every night for about 8 - 10 hours. Then I charge to 90 when I get the pack down below 10%, and repeat this a few times. After doing this BMS procedure a few times, I will go back to charging to 90 daily.

I do road trips pretty frequently and that means supercharging. I try to only charge when I get to a low SOC, and then only supercharge enough to get to my destination (even if thats the next supercharger. I typically stay in hotels with destination chargers, so I like to arrive there with a low SoC and charge slowly overnight. Heres a screenshot of my supercharges: Charge Totals 2021-10-22 at 12.19.20 AM

View attachment 724194

I have been using Teslafi since day one of ownership on this car, and I do so to try and keep all the data from the drives and charges. Does anything on this look out of spec or odd?
Teslafi charts are always a little difficult to read because the X-axis isn't consistent increments. It's impossible to say why there seems to be a drop at 46k and 52k. You had two previous drops at 42k and 44k, but the range bounced back. You may want to try changing up your daily charge routine. If you're only using 10% SOC daily, then you can think about trying a lower starting SOC. In theory, shallow discharges around 50% SOC are the most gentle on a battery. It may help, or it may not, but the only obvious strategy is if something isn't working for you, then change it up.

Reactions: CubedRoot
Teslafi charts are always a little difficult to read because the X-axis isn't consistent increments. It's impossible to say why there seems to be a drop at 46k and 52k. You had two previous drops at 42k and 44k, but the range bounced back. You may want to try changing up your daily charge routine. If you're only using 10% SOC daily, then you can think about trying a lower starting SOC. In theory, shallow discharges around 50% SOC are the most gentle on a battery. It may help, or it may not, but the only obvious strategy is if something isn't working for you, then change it up.
Thanks @KenC . I have been thinking of getting an ODB reader and SMT, I already picked up the adapter cable. I'm curious as to what my pack imbalances get to on some of the road trips. I know I am probably a bit harder on this car than most due to the road trips for work (headed to Raleigh next week, the Orlando the following week). Once I get those two road trips done, I should be back home for the holidays and doing the normal 10% draw each day routines. I'll set the SoC down to as low as possible on the charge limit and cruise around bringing it down to the teens before charging, and see what that does.

Probably order that OBDII reader tonight. hah.

Reactions: KenC
My charging habits are: Charge to 90% daily, car is garage kept and the garage doesnt get hotter than about 80F.
When do you charge to 90% ? A.s.a.p when you get home or ”just in time” for the next day drive?

I would guess your car stands with 90% for quite some time? If the BMS isnt very off, there should be a reason for the drop.
At what time did you get these drops? Increased ambient temps?

How much SOC do you yse daily?
Is ut possible to use a lower charge ?
And, most important, charge during late hours of the nigh so the time @finished charge isnt that long.

I'm shocked(pun intended) at how often this question is asked. How long are your drives? What tire pressures do you have? How are you measuring power usage? What do the trip odometers say you've been using? (BTW, its customary to rename one of the trip odometers to 'lifetime-do not reset' or something like that)

I'm guessing that between short trips, high speeds, cabin overheat protection and sentry, you are seeing 'normal' usage.

Do check which kind of battery you have. If its LFP, you apparently can and SHOULD charge to 100%.

At 27,000 miles on my 2020 (Dec 2019 delivery) my projected max range is 292 miles (263 at 90%), which is down 9.5% from the original 323. I expected only seven percent degradation over 100,000 miles based on Model S data so this is disappointing.
My average energy consumption has been 265 watt-hours per mile which converts to 3.77 miles per kwh, better than the rated (if I remember correctly) 3.7 m/kwh so the range loss is not due to a higher energy consumption rate.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
My BMS is have real fun figuring out what capacity my 2018 Model 3 (so RWD LR) has
Currently the calculated charge is 63kW which feels low for 46k miles
Tesla say the battery is fine and working as expect.
just replying to myself to connect these two.
I suspect something not good is happening here.
as of this morning - Oct 23rd now calculated at 61kW
2kW drop in two weeks
Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 12.04.36.png

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
One thing that one should know about degradation is that it lessens with time.
If things are kept constant( average SOC and temperature) so continuing to use the same SOC overnight etc, the degradation is not linear. Many research reports use the assumption square root of time and it seems to fit the curves well enough to use to understand how it works.

If you had 5% calendar aging the first year, you probably are about 7% after two years, and 8.7% after tre years and 10% after four years. It probably takes some 16 years to reach 20% calendar aging.

On this, we have the aging from cycles, but that is a linear function and in the range of one percent per year(of course depending on miles/(year and how big the charging cycles are.

So, even if the degradation looks bad after a couple of years it will not continue this way. I think there has been too much talk about reaching the 30% degradation and the warranty for this in the last pages of this thread. While its good to talk about and understand the warranty, most cars will not go there.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
One thing that one should know about degradation is that it lessens with time.
If things are kept constant( average SOC and temperature) so continuing to use the same SOC overnight etc, the degradation is not linear. Many research reports use the assumption square root of time and it seems to fit the curves well enough to use to understand how it works.

If you had 5% calendar aging the first year, you probably are about 7% after two years, and 8.7% after tre years and 10% after four years. It probably takes some 16 years to reach 20% calendar aging.

On this, we have the aging from cycles, but that is a linear function and in the range of one percent per year(of course depending on miles/(year and how big the charging cycles are.

So, even if the degradation looks bad after a couple of years it will not continue this way. I think there has been too much talk about reaching the 30% degradation and the warranty for this in the last pages of this thread. While its good to talk about and understand the warranty, most cars will not go there.
not sure if you were replying to my post or not - I'm guessing not because the chart I posted doesn't show gradual anything. Its 20% in 2.5 years.

not sure if you were replying to my post or not - I'm guessing not because the chart I posted doesn't show gradual anything. Its 20% in 2.5 years.
No, not connected to your post(I always quote when…)

I would not believe that such a steep drop is true degradation. Its probably BMS or software coupled.

True degradation happens for a reason and then it follows the physics for this.
What about your daily charge, charge to what SOC, and when( do the car sit already charged each night?)
What is the average temps for summer and winter (car in garage?)

• Informative
Reactions: Twiglett
No, not connected to your post(I always quote when…)

I would not believe that such a steep drop is true degradation. Its probably BMS or software coupled.

True degradation happens for a reason and then it follows the physics for this.
What about your daily charge, charge to what SOC, and when( do the car sit already charged each night?)
What is the average temps for summer and winter (car in garage?)
thanks! I'm hoping thats the case. The car is performing brilliantly in all other ways.
It just seems that it does this every time I start thinking about a long trip :D
Its been a 90% down to 60-70 most week days and occasional longer trips
Car is garaged and lives in Texas, so it gets hot in summer

Reactions: AAKEE