Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It isn’t based on your habbits, it is based on stndardized average consumption for specific model. So the lowering milage is degradation of battery. Can go up sometimes after rebalancing of pack. Range based on circumstences is available in consumption app in car.
Yes, its a fixed amount of energy per miles or km.

The difference in range from time to time is not due to cell balancing but the estimated range changes slightly from each charging session, this causes small jumps.

Using a app that shows the maximum range by grabbing the OTA data only get the SOC in whole numbers (a rounded number).
This causes for example the Teslafi battery degradstion chart to jump up and down where as capacity and the max range shown in Scan My Tesla is much more stable.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
A data point for any interested:
  • 2022 Model 3 with LFP battery.
  • About 18 months old, 23k miles / 37k km.
  • Mostly charged at home to 60-70%, but approximately once per week to 100%, finishing shortly before departure on a day when at least 30% is expected to be used (so it ends the day at <= 70%). Recent road trip involved a lot of Supercharging, mostly from 10-15% to 50-60%.
  • Car shows 261 rated miles at 100% charge, about 4% less than 272 rated miles when new.
  • Scan My Tesla shows 57.5 kWh nominal full pack, about 5% less than 60.5 kWh nominal full pack when new.

#winning

1691093386732.png

Last edited:
I calculated my 2022 M3P (Panasonic 3L) battery at 74kwh.

In order to assess degradation, do I compare that to the nominal battery size (~82kwh) or the usable battery size (~78kwh)? This would either be ~5% or ~10% degradation.

Of note, I have not at all gone out of my way to be gentle on the battery…

-40% of my charging is Level 3 (lots of road trips)

-I have charged to 95+% probably 30 times for road-tripping or racing (with 5 - 60 minutes at rest prior to departure)

-I have raced AutoX or Road Course about 1x per month since new.

-I typically charge to 90% every day, arriving home between 76-80% most days (you never know when someone needs the full beans).

Reactions: 804son and navguy12

In order to assess degradation, do I compare that to the nominal battery size (~82kwh) or the usable battery size (~78kwh)? This would either be ~5% or ~10% degradation.

-I have charged to 95+% probably 30 times for road-tripping or racing (with 5 - 60 minutes at rest prior to departure)

-I typically charge to 90% every day, arriving home between 76-80% most days (you never know when someone needs the full beans).
Unless you noted it upthread, what is your milage? 10k or 100k may have a factor on people’s replies.

You should use the Full Pack When New value as the reference.

”Usable” is a unwise term, specially since for example Tessie use “usable capacity” for the whole current capacity.

The battery was most likely close to 82 kWh on the manufacturing day, so thats where to begin.

How did you calculate the 74 kWh?
If it was by the energy graphits still the whole capacity (incl. buffer) so 74/82= 10% loss.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lindenwood
You should use the Full Pack When New value as the reference.

”Usable” is a unwise term, specially since for example Tessie use “usable capacity” for the whole current capacity.

The battery was most likely close to 82 kWh on the manufacturing day, so thats where to begin.

How did you calculate the 74 kWh?
If it was by the energy graphits still the whole capacity (incl. buffer) so 74/82= 10% loss.
Yes I used the formulae centered around the energy graph data!

Thanks!

Reactions: AAKEE
Hey guys. New Model 3 owner here.

In December I bought a '21 Long Range that had 66k miles on it. It's got 70k now. (Manufactured 03/21). I'm loving it so far.

My question concerns cars in general (since I'm not really a car guy) in relation to EV batteries: how long do the bodies of cars actually last, assuming they are reasonably maintained and no accidents happen?

I ask because if the new LFP Model 3 can last 500,000-1,000,000 miles, would the actual body of the car last that long as well, or would it rust out/break down?

Also, as a data point, I've attached the degradation of my '21 LR at 70k miles. (I think I got lucky).

Attachments

• Tessie stats.jpg
    Tessie stats.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 50
Hey guys. New Model 3 owner here.

In December I bought a '21 Long Range that had 66k miles on it. It's got 70k now. (Manufactured 03/21). I'm loving it so far.

My question concerns cars in general (since I'm not really a car guy) in relation to EV batteries: how long do the bodies of cars actually last, assuming they are reasonably maintained and no accidents happen?

I ask because if the new LFP Model 3 can last 500,000-1,000,000 miles, would the actual body of the car last that long as well, or would it rust out/break down?

Also, as a data point, I've attached the degradation of my '21 LR at 70k miles. (I think I got lucky).
Nice battery!

Generally speaking, I’d venture that you could easily get on the other of 400k before maintenance started becoming annoying (I.e. once a month having to fix failing door latches, windshield wiper motors, climate control parts, etc).

Of course this isn’t hard and fast rule…200k of hard use (I.e. ride sharing in a hot city with bad roads) could rationally cause as much wear as 600k of long commutes on good roads.

Reactions: DrGriz