Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range on Highway for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Troy, Thanks. From the data you referenced it looks like city driving will be a bit worse than highway (It's not clear to me if Tesla's state numbers are highway, city or some weighted average). Also, what do your numbers for Wh/mile assume about the speed driven on the highway?
Sagebrush, I'm willing to drive at 65-70 mph. There is a total of 1800 feet climb and descent in each direction over my drive. The drive is actually 180 miles but I want a little buffer so I said 200 miles.

• Love
Reactions: Snerruc
Teslas (and I expect most EVs) are particularly good at maintaining a constant speed with standard cruise control. Three reasons, that I can theorize... First, as noted already, they have access to a pretty strong braking system via the regenerative brakes. That solves one of the big issues with ICEs. But also, don't forget that they also have instantaneous access to power, and can access that power without having to fret about fuel economy. My ICE behaves a lot worse in terms of speed control when in "eco mode" vs standard.

For a visual reference, here's a graph of a trip I took earlier this year in my Roadster. Can you guess where I had the Cruise enabled?

upload_2017-8-21_16-40-56.png
upload_2017-8-21_16-40-56.png

How
Troy, Thanks. From the data you referenced it looks like city driving will be a bit worse than highway (It's not clear to me if Tesla's state numbers are highway, city or some weighted average). Also, what do your numbers for Wh/mile assume about the speed driven on the highway?
Sagebrush, I'm willing to drive at 65-70 mph. There is a total of 1800 feet climb and descent in each direction over my drive. The drive is actually 180 miles but I want a little buffer so I said 200 miles.
Often in bad weather? Especially colder than 40-50 f.

Hi. Based on survey data, the average energy consumption of the Model S is 316 Wh/mi in the USA (source: see cell Q1 here). The Model 3 consumption is expected to be 79.7% of Model S consumption based on the following calculation:

EPA highway dyno test efficiency:
Model 3 80: 172.2 Wh/mi (454.64 mi / 78,270 Wh = 172.2 Wh/mi, Source for 454.64 mi and 78,270 Wh: Page 7)
Model S 100D: 216.1 Wh/mi (455.37 mi / 98,400 Wh = 216.1 Wh/mi, Source for 455.37 mi: Page 27, source for 98,400 Wh: WK057)

Model 3 80 vs Model s 100 consumption= 172.2 Wh/mi /216.1 Wh/mi = 79.7%. Therefore we can use 316 Wh/mi*79.7%= 252 Wh/mi as the Model 3 average.

Usable battery capacity of the Model 3 is expected to be as follows when the car is new:
55 kWh pack: 53,963 Wh (This is my estimate based on 55.5*78,270/80,500=53,963)
80 kWh pack: 78,270 Wh (This was confirmed in an EPA document. See page 6 footer here)

The average range numbers would be like this when the car is new:
Model 3 55: 53,963 Wh/252 Wh/mi= 214 miles
Model 3 80: 78,270 Wh/252 Wh/mi= 311 miles

However, we need to consider battery degradation too. Based on survey data, the capacity drops to 94% at 80K miles (see the image here). So, the remaining usable capacity at 80K miles would be as follows:
55 kWh pack: 50,725 Wh
80 kWh pack: 73,574 Wh

Therefore the average RWD Model 3 range would be as follows after 80K miles:
Model 3 55: 50,725 Wh/252 Wh/mi= 201 miles
Model 3 80: 73,574 Wh/252 Wh/mi= 292 miles

However, these are average numbers throughout the year. It will be lower in winter. Btw, dual motor versions will have 8-12 mi more range.
The Model 3 55 should be better than 252 Wh/mi because it is lighter. And Tesla estimates 220 mi range.

Would I be able to make it 200 miles with the standard model if I'm not driving at night?

Driving at night doesn't affect the mileage, headlights are inconsequential. The biggest things are speed and rain. I have consistently beat the rated mileage by just driving the speed limit on the highway. Instead of 10-15 mph over the limit like the rest of the pack, I stay in the right lane and do 70mph. On long trips up and down the East coast on Route 95, with TACC and AP1 I have seen long stretches as low as 250-260 wH/mile. My lifetime wH/mile is about 290. After 2 years and 23,000 miles, my 70D still charges 90% to the same 216 miles.

Reactions: DR61
Still waiting for my M3 but have put 19k miles on a Fiat 500e in 15 months so I have a lot of experience on the highway in an EV. The 500e is rated 86 miles ... I think at about 65-68mph it will achieve just that. Winter lowered it though, by about 15% on the colder days I'd say.

Since my commute speed is lower (average about 25-30mph) I consistently go over. I can make my round trip of 60 miles with ~38% left most days (with AC in summer, can be higher with no AC). I think the battery pack is 24kwh but it reserves the last 20% and won't let you use it. My range indicator is very accurate, has always been very reliable, and at 100% charge usually shows 100-115 miles depending on how my last 10 miles of driving went. My highest shown was 135 due to I had AC off, slow traffic, 70 degrees outside, average speeds probably like 25mph with no stopping over the course of 30 miles.

Anyway, long story short my lifetime efficiency is 4.4 miles/kwh (or 227wh/mile).

Back to your question, on highway speeds, I most definitely see a huge drop when I go above about 67mph. I don't know the exact usage but of the top of my head my round trip of 60 miles that uses about 42%, if I were to go 70 the whole time, would probably use closer to 55-60%...but again not sure on the exact number. Get closer to 80 and you see a HUGE drop in range.

Speeds above 65 or headwinds have a HUGE impact, and it grows exponentially as you keep going up in speed. Sadly it's really annoying. When trying to be efficient or make a long ride that's cutting it within 10-15 miles of my expected range I usually cruise in the right lane at 60 and it gets really annoying when there's no traffic!

Reactions: DR61
Hi. Based on survey data, the average energy consumption of the Model S is 316 Wh/mi in the USA (source: see cell Q1 here). The Model 3 consumption is expected to be 79.7% of Model S consumption based on the following calculation:

EPA highway dyno test efficiency:
Model 3 80: 172.2 Wh/mi (454.64 mi / 78,270 Wh = 172.2 Wh/mi, Source for 454.64 mi and 78,270 Wh: Page 7)
Model S 100D: 216.1 Wh/mi (455.37 mi / 98,400 Wh = 216.1 Wh/mi, Source for 455.37 mi: Page 27, source for 98,400 Wh: WK057)

Model 3 80 vs Model s 100 consumption= 172.2 Wh/mi /216.1 Wh/mi = 79.7%. Therefore we can use 316 Wh/mi*79.7%= 252 Wh/mi as the Model 3 average.

Usable battery capacity of the Model 3 is expected to be as follows when the car is new:
55 kWh pack: 53,963 Wh (This is my estimate based on 55.5*78,270/80,500=53,963)
80 kWh pack: 78,270 Wh (This was confirmed in an EPA document. See page 6 footer here)

The average range numbers would be like this when the car is new:
Model 3 55: 53,963 Wh/252 Wh/mi= 214 miles
Model 3 80: 78,270 Wh/252 Wh/mi= 311 miles

However, we need to consider battery degradation too. Based on survey data, the capacity drops to 94% at 80K miles (see the image here). So, the remaining usable capacity at 80K miles would be as follows:
55 kWh pack: 50,725 Wh
80 kWh pack: 73,574 Wh

Therefore the average RWD Model 3 range would be as follows after 80K miles:
Model 3 55: 50,725 Wh/252 Wh/mi= 201 miles
Model 3 80: 73,574 Wh/252 Wh/mi= 292 miles

However, these are average numbers throughout the year. It will be lower in winter. Btw, dual motor versions will have 8-12 mi more range.

I heart math. There should be a "buy the guy a beer" button here.

Reactions: Pkmmte and DR61
Hi, @peninsula. The 316 Wh/mi number for the Model S is lifetime average efficiency. The 220 and 310 miles numbers Tesla uses are city and highway combined. By the way, I recommend checking out the EV Trip Planner website here. You could use Model S 60D instead of Model 3 55. I think those will have similar highway range.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: internalaudit
This leads to questions about the actual range of the vehicle.
More than likely the EPA rated range is with the aro wheels because they are stock. I hope that I am wrong as a 10 percent bump the the EPA rated range just may save me $9,000... i think we just need to wait for some real world deep dives into the range and wh/mile in a verity of conditions. Also as others have said the day you buy your car will be the day with the least amount of charging iptions available to you.... EV charging will only get more prevalent in the future.

No problem unless there is headwind or rain/ice/snow or you aggressively use heating.
Since it is not hard to imagine days where you will heat, drive into the wind, and have a less than dry road you need a back-up plan.

Last edited:
Too bad not a lot of M3 drivers out east where climate is turning colder.

I guess I just approximate 40% drop in range during the coldest in winter.

With my X, the range loss really depends on the circumstances. The worst case is a series of short trips in subzero weather with long waiting gaps with no charging in between - having to repeatedly warm the cabin and pack really kills efficiency for the first twenty or thirty miles of each trip/segment, and can consume two or three times the normal energy.

Conversely, a long winter drive starting with the pack and cabin warm has very little impact - in my experience at freeway speed in freezing weather it's less than 10% more energy.

For most people, it'll be somewhere in between but presumably more towards the freeway case if they are using enough of the battery for the total range available to matter.

Conversely, a long winter drive starting with the pack and cabin warm has very little impact - in my experience at freeway speed in freezing weather it's less than 10% more energy.

Important to note that this is also quite expected. You have several kilowatts of waste heat (equivalent to several space heaters), which is way more than the cabin and pack needs to overcome winter heat losses. The peak temperature that tires reach between winter and summer after warming up is also pretty similar; you'll get a drop in Crr, but only a very small one. The main "fundamental, unavoidable" winter issue is that air is denser in cold weather, which may cost you ~10% more energy in the winter than the summer, depending on what your winter and summer temps are.

Apart from the "short trips" issue, any differences over that ~10% come down to wet roads, bumpy roads (e.g. due to ice), deep snow, winds, etc. But the base difference is, from both a physics and a "people's actual experience" perspective, rather small.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61 and astrothad