Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range or Percentage...a Simple Poll

How do you roll?

• I prefer showing range.

Votes: 212 57.9%
  • I prefer showing percentage

Votes: 154 42.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used mileage for a while and found the jump in miles when driving the car a bit disconcerting epsepciall in the winter with the heat on. plus you run the car down pretty far in the battery if you are one to “go to e” in an ice car seeing the miles left . I found , like my phone, Iwas more consistent going down to just under 20% then charging vice going down to 20 miles . If I saw 50 miles it seems like a lot left when it really isn’t ,(especially in the winter)The yellow and red notation at 19percent and 10percent Work for me to remind me to charge . I generally don’t charge every day as I like to run a couple of day between charges on my regular commute days . I gotta say having the nav on road trips be so accurate as it is is really nice in percent or miles. Now I just leave it in percent

Reactions: Ciaopec
I used mileage for a while and found the jump in miles when driving the car a bit disconcerting epsepciall in the winter with the heat on. plus you run the car down pretty far in the battery if you are one to “go to e” in an ice car seeing the miles left . I found , like my phone, Iwas more consistent going down to just under 20% then charging vice going down to 20 miles . If I saw 50 miles it seems like a lot left when it really isn’t ,(especially in the winter)The yellow and red notation at 19percent and 10percent Work for me to remind me to charge . I generally don’t charge every day as I like to run a couple of day between charges on my regular commute days . I gotta say having the nav on road trips be so accurate as it is is really nice in percent or miles. Now I just leave it in percent

I keep it on percentage, my 40+ years of driving ICE vehicles makes me very comfortable looking at a gauge that shows the portion of fuel remaining and making refueling decisions. I agree that the Nav seems to be incredibly accurate - my only scare came on a segment with strong headwinds, but even with that, the Nav showed the remaining energy at the annex SC declining rapidly, so I had the information I needed to adjust speed and tuck in behind a semi to draft until it was clear we'd make it...

Range for sure, personally I think its a lot more of a relatable number than percentage. If I had it on percentage, I would inevitably be doing the math in my head of about how much range it would mean I had left.
Some people like doing math in the head. :) Or crossword puzzles, reading a magazine, whatever.

I started with range and couldn’t understand people who used percentage. Without doing the math, seeing “54%” left on my battery meant nothing to me in terms of how far I could go; I couldn’t imagine why you’d want to use that. Then after about 6 months with the car, constantly watching my rated range number and never getting anywhere close to empty with my daily usage I realized that just having a general sense of “about how full is my battery” was way more relaxing. I had no need to think “I only have 146mi left!” when I was heading home to plug in for the night.

It’s a different story for actual distance trips where I might care about range remaining but for those I use the Nav which gives fantastic range info and supercharger routing. For everything else, percentage gives me one less thing to obsess about... — Dan

Always use percentage except occasionally to check what the degradation is (now at 284 miles from 294 miles 14 months ago).

A percent is a percent, regardless of how fast or slow one drives. Never have used miles while traveling, since the concept of a mile *traveled* is wholly subject to speed/elevation/temperature/rolling resistance.

The poll split (about 50/50 at this juncture) reminds me of that blue dress/gold dress visual dichotomy this past year.

Reactions: JohnnyG and skitown
Always use percentage except occasionally to check what the degradation is (now at 284 miles from 294 miles 14 months ago).

A percent is a percent, regardless of how fast or slow one drives. Never have used miles while traveling, since the concept of a mile *traveled* is wholly subject to speed/elevation/temperature/rolling resistance.

The poll split (about 50/50 at this juncture) reminds me of that blue dress/gold dress visual dichotomy this past year.
Yes but using your method you have to calculate the percentage back to miles or kilometers or Elon steps or whatever. I learned a long time ago, never do math in public.

BD

Reactions: nwdiver
Yes but using your method you have to calculate the percentage back to miles or kilometers or Elon steps or whatever. I learned a long time ago, never do math in public.

BD

Sage advice, that. However, I don't calculate back during travel legs.

For example, if at SC A ye olde Nav sez I'm expected to arrive at SC B with 12%, and if I've not traveled that route to SC B before, I'll charge to ~+20% rather than +12% and off I go. Depending upon relative progress using the Trip/Consumption charts, I'll speed up or slow down to arrive with, ideally, some SOC between 5% and 10%. I don't advocate this one way or the other for anyone else - it's just what I tend to do after getting into a rhythm from SC to SC to SC.

The miles become secondary, aside from the larger objective of covering 800 miles/day, mas o menos. I'll also sanity check miles versus ETA once in awhile to see if there might be some sort of delay ahead (usually construction).

Sage advice, that. However, I don't calculate back during travel legs.

For example, if at SC A ye olde Nav sez I'm expected to arrive at SC B with 12%, and if I've not traveled that route to SC B before, I'll charge to ~+20% rather than +12% and off I go. Depending upon relative progress using the Trip/Consumption charts, I'll speed up or slow down to arrive with, ideally, some SOC between 5% and 10%. I don't advocate this one way or the other for anyone else - it's just what I tend to do after getting into a rhythm from SC to SC to SC.

The miles become secondary, aside from the larger objective of covering 800 miles/day, mas o menos. I'll also sanity check miles versus ETA once in awhile to see if there might be some sort of delay ahead (usually construction).
See, math in public. Blew my mind man......