Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle noise coming from front Air Suspension (2017-18)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm very thankful that I found this thread. I've had this problem for about 8 months. It started after a few weeks of ownership and I initially though it may have been due to some storm damage that the car suffered early on in its life. That was almost 4 months getting fixed by the time the car was assessed, parts were shipped in, and the work was done. So, I didn't really think much of it. But when we FINALLY got the car back, the noise persisted. Then winter hit (not a proper Winter, a Melbourne Winter. 30F - 60F) and the noise got worse. These are a few of MY observations which agree with others' observations on here (hence there will be some repeats in this list).

1. The noise sounds like a popping noise. Not a rattle. It sounds a little plasticky, but also a little rubbery. It's not a rattle. I just wanted to stress that it's not a rattle because the numerous references to rattles in this thread is the main reason I kept on skipping over it since the noise isn't a rattle.

2. The noise is temperature related. This is something that I have seen touched on in this thread (but I started at about page 15), but not emphasized. The noise definitely reduces after driving around for a while and things heat up.

3. The noise is related to high frequency suspension movements. What do I mean by this? Shock Absorbers (or dampers) have high frequency valving and low frequency valving. Think of a high frequency as driving over cobblestones, and low frequency as driving over a speed hump. This noise, in my case, does not manifest itself with low frequency suspension movements, only high frequency.

4. The noise is not related to tire pressure. lower tire pressures will increase the damping properties of road noise, indicating that the noise is generated by something upstream of the tire/road interface (also previously noted on here)

5. The noise is not related to steering input. The noise manifests itself at a variety of steering positions

6. The noise is not a resonance. There is absolutely no quality in the noise that presents as any form of 1st harmonic resonance.

I've given a lot of though to this. I do a fair bit of mechanical fault finding in my daily job. I was recently tasked with finding a resonance in a gearbox which had no correlation to any gear or bearing fault frequency. Turns out the problem was a solvent contaminant in the gearbox which had stripped the internal lacquer coating from the castings and been deposited on the bearing races by the lube system, which had then interfered with the lubricant film to cause a resonance that manifested at a different frequency every time the gearbox was run.

Based on my experiences and the fact that the issue is temperature related, I believe the problem may be related to the internal high frequency valving in the damper. Some of the fixes mentioned in this post may mitigate some of the noise being transmitted to the cabin, but I don't believe it's a fix of the core problem which is supported by the fact that some people have experienced reduced noise, but not elimination of the noise.

It also seems that the only permanent fix has been a strut replacement which has worked for some, but if the replacement strut has the same defect, the problem persists and therefore others have had no rectification to their problem.

Then again, I could be completely wrong! But the noise definitely seems like a damped mechanical knock, with the damping giving it a plastic/rubber sound quality.

@CaliSol Despite common logic, Identical mechanical devices do not always behave identically. As a professional off-road truck builder / customizer for 4 decades, I seen examples of this thousands of times - same parts, same vehicle, different result. Actually, it's no different in the biological world - even identical twins are not 100% identical, and they don't have the same issues, get the same illnesses, etc., despite identical DNA...Tolerances and environmental conditions can have minute effects on a mechanical part and cause a different reaction to the same stimuli.

When looking for a solution, the hope is that the ability to to reproduce the issue under identical conditions is large enough to actually find the source of the problem, regardless of other variables that might come into play...

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: CaliSol and Vic18t
When was your TMS delivered? Is it dual motor?

Did they give an indication of when the new version of the struts will be available?
Do you care to post the part number of the new struts and probably service invoice work description?

Thank you!

Hi, sorry for the late reply. They did not give me an indication when they would become available.
After the work they did on my car last time, I did not receive the usual pdf with the work they have done on the car.
My car was delivered in November 2017 (Europe) and it is a dual motor

• Informative
Reactions: Dragetreneren
It would be nice if @Jeroenhermans could post the part number on the new struts. They changed mine almost a year ago with no effect.

Hi, My car is at the SC again since today for a few a days at least. This time one of the SC drivers scratched it when they picked it up at my home. Rim is damaged as well as the bottom part of the right side...

Anyway, the rattle noise is back. About a week after they replaced the front struts the noise is back exactly like before.
They gave me a MS70D loaner without air suspension and this one is so quiet, I almost cannot believe it...
The whole situation makes me feel really down for the moment...

Hi, My car is at the SC again since today for a few a days at least. This time one of the SC drivers scratched it when they picked it up at my home. Rim is damaged as well as the bottom part of the right side...

Anyway, the rattle noise is back. About a week after they replaced the front struts the noise is back exactly like before.
They gave me a MS70D loaner without air suspension and this one is so quiet, I almost cannot believe it...
Sorry to hear.

I have also driven loaners without the suspension problem. Significant difference. Will never buy a Tesla with the suspension problem.

Just picked up my 12-17 MS75D from SC. No work done on issue bc know of and waiting for engineering fix. At least they are aware and sounds like a fix is coming. I go back end of year for annual and hope fix in by then.
There are owners here that have waited for almost a year already. Also, some SC are proactive in communicating about this problem providing findings from own research and fixing attempts. At some SC you can hear something like "it is a property of the model... every new vehicle comes with it!" This is ridiculous. How Tesla let this happen, I do not understand. Someone should really tween Musk about this and get this fixed!

Reactions: CaliSol
I dropped my car off at the Costa Mesa SC for this and other issues yesterday. When I went on the road test with the tech to repro the problem, of course it didn't reproduce right away and the tech said that he never heard of the issue. We then went into a parking lot that had some rougher pavement and reproduced the rattle. The tech then changed his tune and stated that he heard of this issue and not sure if that there is a fix. I'll just have to wait to get their opinion, but I don't expect to get anything different from what others have posted.

On a side note, I have a pre-facelift P85D loaner with about 45K miles and am finding that the steering wheel is significantly tighter feeling (even on Comfort Mode) than my 2018 M75D. There is absolutely no play in the steering on the P85D, but mine feels much looser. Question, is there a difference in the steering tightness on the P85D? Aren't the differences the battery and HV cabling to pull more power from the batteries? Not sure if this is yet another issue with my 18 P75D. Thanks!!!

• Informative
Reactions: daktari
Same here...rattle is back after replacing the front struts :(

Loaners without air suspension are super quiet. It is definitely an air suspension problem!! After reading all posts and different forums, it really is air suspension related. All the loaners are quiet!! Can someone tweet Elon Musk for help??

Except for when it’s not.

Does anyone know if the struts themselves are different for air and non-air cars? Would love to see a pic of the strut sticker, if there is one (not the air spring module) from an air suspension car.

Answering my own question: it appears they are different.

This Ebay auction, however, shows the source of the Bilstein/Firestone confusion:
TESLA MODEL S 90D 2016 RHD FRONT LEFT AIR SHOCK ABSORBER STRUT 1067361-00-C | eBay

Note the bilstein sticker on the strut underneath the firestone air spring module. From what I can see, the Bilstein part for this unit is:
F4-BE5-K698-W1

The Bilstein strut for the coil suspension is:
F4-BE5-L352-W0

I suppose there is a possibility that the internals are similar/identical, or that the interaction of the struts with other suspension components are what is causing the noise.

OK, September has come. Is this considered the "end of the summer" for Tesla? Because my last contact with them in June mentioned

"The design modification is currently undergoing validation and we expect to be able to install it on customer cars requesting it, by end of Summer."

Maybe I'll just ping them once more. Anybody else got news about the potential fix?

Reactions: Electric_Zen
OK, September has come. Is this considered the "end of the summer" for Tesla? Because my last contact with them in June mentioned

"The design modification is currently undergoing validation and we expect to be able to install it on customer cars requesting it, by end of Summer."

Maybe I'll just ping them once more. Anybody else got news about the potential fix?
Without realy knowing what is going on at Tesa I am afraid Tesla Engineering is focusing on a wrong problem. Read this opinion (post #501) which make sense to me: Rattle noise coming from front suspension

Haven't read all 26 pages of this thread, but it sounds like no resolution yet. I too have this rattle, June 2018 build S100D. Took it in last month to Raleigh SC, and they said the same thing everyone else here is saying - known design issue and engineering is working on it. I'm assuming at some point they will find it and do a recall? Or at least replace it for anyone complaining. While there, they gave me a P85DL loaner and it had no rattle (don't recall if it had air suspension or not - did the P models have it standard?)

• Informative
Reactions: CaliSol

Technically it's still summer until September 22nd. Let's see if a solution is figured out by the end of the month.

Haven't read all 26 pages of this thread, but it sounds like no resolution yet. I too have this rattle, June 2018 build S100D. Took it in last month to Raleigh SC, and they said the same thing everyone else here is saying - known design issue and engineering is working on it. I'm assuming at some point they will find it and do a recall? Or at least replace it for anyone complaining. While there, they gave me a P85DL loaner and it had no rattle (don't recall if it had air suspension or not - did the P models have it standard?)
Would you care to post VIN of the loaner? You can skip last 5 symbols as that is the serial number.
This decoder might come in handy when you want to know about specification: VIN Decoder | TeslaTap

It would be interesting if you can post part numbers for both the airmodule and the shock (of the loaner) in the front! Thanks!

Last edited:
Would you care to post VIN of the loaner? You can skip last 5 symbols as that is the serial number.
This decoder might come in handy when you want to know about specification: VIN Decoder | TeslaTap

It would be interesting if you can post part numbers for both the airmodule and the shock (of the loaner) in the front! Thanks!

I might be mistaken but isn’t P85D pre facelift? It won’t be affected by the defect. So regardless of what parts it has you can’t presume they could or should resolve the rattle in the facelift cars.