Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle noise coming from front Air Suspension (2017-18)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is from an email from Executive Care:

“We are confident in the service solution that is now available and would be happy to get the parts to your preferred service center right away. Our engineers have tested and validated this solution for the rattle.”

Sorry to disappoint everyone, but they told me the same thing last week. Then, a few days later...

Hello Mr. XXXXX. I hope that you are well. As I had mentioned in our phone conversation, we replaced the updated strut kit that was supplied by our Escalation Team. Unfortunately, after we replaced the kit we confirmed that the noise is still audible. We have isolated the sound to be coming from the steering rack. We have ordered a new steering rack assembly. I will continue to update you on the repair status.

I explained to them that multiple people have had the steering rack replaced with no success, yet they still insist on replacing it. I’m beyond frustrated at this point. I’m afraid it may be time for legal action.

• Informative
Reactions: Dragetreneren
Sorry to disappoint everyone, but they told me the same thing last week. Then, a few days later...

Hello Mr. XXXXX. I hope that you are well. As I had mentioned in our phone conversation, we replaced the updated strut kit that was supplied by our Escalation Team. Unfortunately, after we replaced the kit we confirmed that the noise is still audible. We have isolated the sound to be coming from the steering rack. We have ordered a new steering rack assembly. I will continue to update you on the repair status.

I explained to them that multiple people have had the steering rack replaced with no success, yet they still insist on replacing it. I’m beyond frustrated at this point. I’m afraid it may be time for legal action.

California lemon law requires the manufacturer 4 attempts to fix for non serious problems. Also the car must be less than 18 months old or 18k miles.

What motorists should know about California's auto lemon law

• Informative
Reactions: Dragetreneren
California lemon law requires the manufacturer 4 attempts to fix for non serious problems. Also the car must be less than 18 months old or 18k miles.

What motorists should know about California's auto lemon law

Vic18t - the article you linked to states:

“...provided the problem is DISCOVERED within 18 months or 18,000 miles of purchase or lease. Even if you bought the car used, the lemon law applies to the vehicle if the original warranty is still in effect.”

I take this to mean that the CA lemon law applies, so long as you can document that the problem was discovered within 18 months or 18,000 miles of ownership and while the car is still under warranty. Is that how you interpret it? Can anyone confirm?

I brought my Model X in for service with a very similar "rattle" or "clunking" as described in this thread when driving <40mph and going over bumpy roads. They replaced the upper control arm and the sway bar and the noise is gone.

Reactions: xanatos
I've got the same issue, but also some kind of "click" sound at low speed, when turning the steering wheel. Also comes from the front.

The SC told me they identified the noise but that the part was "in production" in the US at this time.

@Axael

I've had the rattle noise problem coming from front right since January (8/2017 build). Then over a month ago I started getting this "clicking" noise coming from the steering column (etc.), especially on low speeds going over speed bumps or uneven roads. It sounds very similar what you are mentioning here. I got this fixed this week, see below/attached picture for the solution. It's been OK and no sound for the last couple of days. Might be worth to check with your local SC.

And no, the SC didn't yet have a solution to the rattle problem. :(

Screen Shot 2018-09-15 at 13.27.14.png

@Axael

I've had the rattle noise problem coming from front right since January (8/2017 build). Then over a month ago I started getting this "clicking" noise coming from the steering column (etc.), especially on low speeds going over speed bumps or uneven roads. It sounds very similar what you are mentioning here. I got this fixed this week, see below/attached picture for the solution. It's been OK and no sound for the last couple of days. Might be worth to check with your local SC.

And no, the SC didn't yet have a solution to the rattle problem. :(

View attachment 335101
I also support the clicking noise problem somewhere from the midconsole, closer to the driver position. This is something my SC insisted to wait for fixing before the front suspension issue has a solution. No indication of the deadline for when the solution is to come.

When you mention an august 2017 build this becomes a new information for me since my service senter indicated that the front suspension issue is started approximately september 2017. Thank you!