Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle noise coming from front Air Suspension (2017-18)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This thread is pretty lengthy and it seems there are a few different issues being discussed.

I've noticed within the past month or so a "rattling" that seems towards the front of my Model S (2018 P100D) under hard acceleration (75%-100% accelerator press). It seems to have coincided somewhat with colder weather. It is less noticeable with "low" rather than "standard" suspension, but still present.

I have no rattling under normal acceleration or speeds.

It does not feel unsafe -- it's more of a slight vibration and an audible sound than anything.

Has this problem been solved/addressed/experienced?

Not sure about your issue, but it is different to the one this thread was really about. The rattling in the suspension occurs at low speeds on roads that aren't perfectly smooth. My S 100D is 5 months old and the rattle was evident in the first weeks, but has got worse and worse since, to the point that driving on any road except perfect surfaces results in a loud rattle. I am booked in for the 4th Feb to have the struts changed, so notwithstanding some people reporting it didn't fix the problem, I'm really hoping that it does. To be honest it is actually embarrassing taking people for a drive in the car as they ask what is that noise. Doesn't inspire others to buy a Tesla

Reactions: CaliSol
Having the same rattle on my s75d 2017. SeC mechanic did a test drive with me and said its clearly that the shock absorbers need to be replaced. Since then im waiting for almost 2 months with an uncomfotable rattling car with no sight of an solution yet because they dont know when they have them in stock again. In my point of view this is inacceptable and im thinking of going the legal way here unfortunately.
This thread is pretty lengthy and it seems there are a few different issues being discussed.

I've noticed within the past month or so a "rattling" that seems towards the front of my Model S (2018 P100D) under hard acceleration (75%-100% accelerator press). It seems to have coincided somewhat with colder weather. It is less noticeable with "low" rather than "standard" suspension, but still present.

I have no rattling under normal acceleration or speeds.

It does not feel unsafe -- it's more of a slight vibration and an audible sound than anything.

Has this problem been solved/addressed/experienced?
Different problem. Replaced halfshafts and jackshafts om mine to resolve it. I cannot tell if it will come back or no. Here is the thread about that problem: Nasty noise on hard acceleration

Not sure about your issue, but it is different to the one this thread was really about. The rattling in the suspension occurs at low speeds on roads that aren't perfectly smooth. My S 100D is 5 months old and the rattle was evident in the first weeks, but has got worse and worse since, to the point that driving on any road except perfect surfaces results in a loud rattle. I am booked in for the 4th Feb to have the struts changed, so notwithstanding some people reporting it didn't fix the problem, I'm really hoping that it does. To be honest it is actually embarrassing taking people for a drive in the car as they ask what is that noise. Doesn't inspire others to buy a Tesla
I am now officially on the second pair og new struts (77-C revision) and can confirm that it is NOT fixed and manifests similar development, i.e. is getting worse.

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: woes and daktari
@MP3Mike I cannot tell if you are representing Tesla in this thread. But if you do then it might be wise to take my feedback as well as feedback from other owners who reported about 77-C revision not resolving the problem.

So that you know, here in Norway, we have snow. And a packed snow on roads is quite normal in winter. A ride on that type of surface will immediately give you clear signs of the problem.

@MP3Mike I cannot tell if you are representing Tesla in this thread.

Nope, not representing Tesla at all. I'm just saying until the problem has been resolved you can't know exactly what the root cause is. Given that the x77-C struts seems to solve the problem for most people, I suspect that you have something else going on with your car. (Or even combinations of things going on.)

Reactions: Art VandeIay
Nope, not representing Tesla at all. I'm just saying until the problem has been resolved you can't know exactly what the root cause is. Given that the x77-C struts seems to solve the problem for most people, I suspect that you have something else going on with your car. (Or even combinations of things going on.)
While I cannot comment on this technically I have been through two SeC that have had a good focus on this problem and are very experienced and recognized. Other owners did inspection and replacement with same result.

When you write "x77-C struts seems to solve the problem for most people" I have to ask what your statement is based on. I have not seen any statistics except the fact that I have reported about and what we are discussing in a Norwegian forum.

After (only) 1000 km, the car is still quiet with the 77-C struts and I've grown allergic to the the rattle sound after having driven around with it for about 6 months with the original struts. The 77-C's were my first repair attempt. I skipped the first replacements as it was known not to fix the problem. I'm still hopeful, yet concerned for reading that it can come back. Still following the thread and will report back when distance driven is higher than a couple of thousands, or obviously as soon as the problem returns..

Could the return of the problem with the 77-C's possibly be related to the type of usage (lot's of suspension manual up and down) or the climate difference (colder) causing it to return?
Or is it as simple as any new part is tight and silent when it's new and after it get's warn in and loosen up, it will show it's default state of noise production… For sure my car was silent for the first few thousand kilometers, and it will explain that it's silent now after having had brand new parts..

Reactions: CaliSol
After (only) 1000 km, the car is still quiet with the 77-C struts and I've grown allergic to the the rattle sound after having driven around with it for about 6 months with the original struts. The 77-C's were my first repair attempt. I skipped the first replacements as it was known not to fix the problem. I'm still hopeful, yet concerned for reading that it can come back. Still following the thread and will report back when distance driven is higher than a couple of thousands, or obviously as soon as the problem returns..

Could the return of the problem with the 77-C's possibly be related to the type of usage (lot's of suspension manual up and down) or the climate difference (colder) causing it to return?
Or is it as simple as any new part is tight and silent when it's new and after it get's warn in and loosen up, it will show it's default state of noise production… For sure my car was silent for the first few thousand kilometers, and it will explain that it's silent now after having had brand new parts..
Do you have a packed snow on the roads in Nederlands? It is not uncommon in Norway and when this is the case you would also want to use suspension leveling. While this might constitute a challendge for suspension it should not have detrimental effects. This does not seem to be the case.

Yes, unfortunaly I am... They replaced it the the old part because this parts was specialy orderd three months ago for my car. When I pointed out that I rather had the modified part instead the response was that the rattling noise is gone for now and if it comes back they will replace it again with modified part.

Apparently they don't mind waisting time and money on pointless repairs. It pisses me off that in the six months ownership I had to drive 25k kilometers with that rattle noise and most likely have to do this again with the waiting times in the Netherlands. (3 months for an appointment).

The ''funny'' bit is that they also where going to replace my screen (yellow band issue) but they did not since next year Q2 or Q3 there will be a modified version of the screen... When I asked him why do you wait 4-6 months for the screen and don't change the suspention with the proper modified version which is already available he had nothing to say.

Just as expected after 3000km the rattle noise is back like before... after confronting the SC with this (same) issue they told me that they looked into it and that the modified version 77 C was installed instead of the old version. The fact that the (warranty) invoice and the engineer have stated that the 25 C is installed by pickup is completly ignored by SC. So after being teased off after on the phone I could not believe the story and put my Tesla on very high so i could take a look at the serial number... guess what the stickers on suspension states>> 25 C!! So they lied about it and I am not happy with this false information from the SC and feel like they just want to get rid of me. Back on the phone to call the service departmand and still on hold for over 52 minutes still no respone..

Just as expected after 3000km the rattle noise is back like before... after confronting the SC with this (same) issue they told me that they looked into it and that the modified version 77 C was installed instead of the old version. The fact that the (warranty) invoice and the engineer have stated that the 25 C is installed by pickup is completly ignored by SC. So after being teased off after on the phone I could not believe the story and put my Tesla on very high so i could take a look at the serial number... guess what the stickers on suspension states>> 25 C!! So they lied about it and I am not happy with this false information from the SC and feel like they just want to get rid of me. Back on the phone to call the service departmand and still on hold for over 52 minutes still no respone..

For the people who follow my case and are curious about the outcome:

So after 1 hour + waiting on the phone I got connected to the service deparment. I asked them if they are sure about the installation of the 77-C since the engineer told me they didnt when I picked up my MS. The guy on the phone insured me that it was the new version and that his manager looked into it. His manager contacted the ''Part manager'' and discussed my case with him. Since I knew for a fact (went under my car) that the old version was installed I thought lets give him one more change :rolleyes:. So I aksed him again if his managers are 100% sure about this because it doesn't match the invoice and story from the engineer? ''He put me on hold and asked his manager again''. So after 2 minutes; Yes, he is sure about it he is been informed by the ''Part manager''. You have absolutly the new version on your car...

(counting to ten)..
My response was that he or his manager are lairs, he was supriesed by my reaction and told me he doesnt feel the same way and asked why i would say something like this. So I told him again that their story and reaction did not match with the invoice and explanation from the mechanic in the beginning which i had pointed out serveral times. So I got suspicious and went under my car to check it out my self, when I did I noticed and confirmed that the old version was installed and took a picture of it including the old partnumber.

His initial reaction was that I could be wrong since there are a lot of part numbers. So I raised my voice and told him that I am not an idiot and it is globaly known that the 25-C is the old version and the 77-C the revision... During this unpleasent conversation I sent the picture inculding partnumber by e-mail to prove it to the SC. After doing this while having him on the phone he received the photo asked for confirmation by his manager and finaly he apologies and told me that they would order the new parts with delivery time X... ( as always 3-4 months like all the parts from Tesla). He stated that I have considerable knowledge regarding the partnumbers of the suspension, my response was unfortunately you need to when you own a Tesla..:rolleyes: lol.

You can imagine that there was comming smoke out of my ears and to make things even more fun my doorhandle doesnt work anymore, also an unknown delivery time from the US (because it save them cost if they dont have a stock in europe and keep the price down bullsh*t story) the story continues.. :confused:

For the people who follow my case and are curious about the outcome:

So after 1 hour + waiting on the phone I got connected to the service deparment. I asked them if they are sure about the installation of the 77-C since the engineer told me they didnt when I picked up my MS. The guy on the phone insured me that it was the new version and that his manager looked into it. His manager contacted the ''Part manager'' and discussed my case with him. Since I knew for a fact (went under my car) that the old version was installed I thought lets give him one more change :rolleyes:. So I aksed him again if his managers are 100% sure about this because it doesn't match the invoice and story from the engineer? ''He put me on hold and asked his manager again''. So after 2 minutes; Yes, he is sure about it he is been informed by the ''Part manager''. You have absolutly the new version on your car...

(counting to ten)..
My response was that he or his manager are lairs, he was supriesed by my reaction and told me he doesnt feel the same way and asked why i would say something like this. So I told him again that their story and reaction did not match with the invoice and explanation from the mechanic in the beginning which i had pointed out serveral times. So I got suspicious and went under my car to check it out my self, when I did I noticed and confirmed that the old version was installed and took a picture of it including the old partnumber.

His initial reaction was that I could be wrong since there are a lot of part numbers. So I raised my voice and told him that I am not an idiot and it is globaly known that the 25-C is the old version and the 77-C the revision... During this unpleasent conversation I sent the picture inculding partnumber by e-mail to prove it to the SC. After doing this while having him on the phone he received the photo asked for confirmation by his manager and finaly he apologies and told me that they would order the new parts with delivery time X... ( as always 3-4 months like all the parts from Tesla). He stated that I have considerable knowledge regarding the partnumbers of the suspension, my response was unfortunately you need to when you own a Tesla..:rolleyes: lol.

You can imagine that there was comming smoke out of my ears and to make things even more fun my doorhandle doesnt work anymore, also an unknown delivery time from the US (because it save them cost if they dont have a stock in europe and keep the price down bullsh*t story) the story continues.. :confused:

I certainly understand that this whole situation is unbearable and when more effects like the service center communication layers up this can be provocative. But mind that we, owners, are also a part of this big family now and it helps everyone to be a little extra forgiving. It is difficult at times, but does not help otherwise - just creates more frustration.

This does not mean however that the case does not need to be resolved. Quite the opposite. But it requires constructive measures, however difficult and demanding this can be.

Not sure if anyone has had a similar issue to mine. I would describe my noise as more of a creak / groan from the front suspension. Sounds like bending metal almost. Anyway, if you want to take a look, I started a separate thread regarding my issue, as I cannot confirm that it is the same as the rattles described here.

Suspension Creak

My car has the suspension rattle...front left... SC kept my car a week. They acted like they had no idea what it could be. Supposedly they changed the struts, then put my old 25-Bs back (I took a photo) and then changed the rack and put mine back. They refused to put the updated part 77- B
They said it was fixed. The invoice says parts replaced: STEERING GEAR ASSY, LHD (1070801-99-D)
I live two hours from service.

It still rattles and since service I have new problems. The car seems to try to level itself every time it sits a couple of hours, and the left side is always 1” (or about 2 centimeters) lower than the right side.

Other new problems since service .... Sensors no longer work in front, MCU bugs and has to be rebooted, charging problems, and they scratched a chunk out of my wrap on the top left fender etc...

I sent an email explaining that the rattle is still there...no response for a week. After multiple phone calls, the SC guy finally took my call to get rid of me. Basically he said he wanted me to understand that it wasn’t his responsibility if the car wasn’t there in the service center. He sent me the warranty page saying that they were just being nice checking it out but that, in fact, Tesla is not required to do so because “rattles are not covered under warranty.” He said it was a rare thing and that it is not a priority for Tesla because it’s not a safety issue. He said there would be NO follow up on this issue.

I think that unless we find a way to complain collectively they have no intention of finding a permanent fix. I think there will be serious consequences later on for us and for Tesla. Who wants a $100,000 car that rattles and can’t be fixed? I have been a huge Tesla fan since the beginning, but I am sick disappointed with this. This was my dream car.

Any ideas how we can complain to corporate collectively? It has gone on long enough. Tesla has to have higher standards than this.

Dec 2017 Model S 75 rwd air suspension EAP

I certainly understand that this whole situation is unbearable and when more effects like the service center communication layers up this can be provocative. But mind that we, owners, are also a part of this big family now and it helps everyone to be a little extra forgiving. It is difficult at times, but does not help otherwise - just creates more frustration.

This does not mean however that the case does not need to be resolved. Quite the opposite. But it requires constructive measures, however difficult and demanding this can be.

Thank you for your response and support!

First of all I want to make clear that my post was not ment to frustrate business! I know that there are a lot of good guys working at Tesla trying to improve the bussines and resolve the problems. The thing I did not like was the fact they acteded like I had no clue where I was talking about and that they used their ''confusion card'' on me (poor communication).

When I bought my MS I knew upfront that Tesla is a starting/relative young car business and that I could not expect the same levels as my previous Audi A6. That Tesla has problems with some rare parts I can live with. Unfortunaly it seems they have nothing on stock and act normal if you need to wait for 2-3 months for shipments from the US.

In the 10 months I own my MS I had several warranty issues such as among others my second broken door handle. Apparently they break often and stil you need do wait 3 months for a critical part/ known issue like this. Meanwhile I look like a fool opening my 125k car from the passenger side :rolleyes:. The everlasting problems due to known part failures and not resolving this malfunctions properly including the poor communication is sometimes getting the best of me. With 30k on my odometer I wonder what happeds if I hit the 80k mark (no warrenty anymore?):eek:

I never had such a emotinal relationship with a car like this before, sometimes I love it and realy enjoy driving it and sometimes I hate it and get anoyed about it. It almost looks like marriage ;)

I am drifting of a bit, when I get my second pair of front suspension I will keep you up to date!

I have this problem on 2018 100d.
Rattling noise at low speeds while going over bumps as well as brief but hard metal grinding noise at max acceleration usually from a stand still position. Both seem to be coming from front left suspension.
Took it in for service twice, both times engineers heard both issues. Thought they resolved it but never actually did. I wanted to take in again but reading all these posts clearly shows that the issue won’t be resolved.
I test drove p100d with 4K on it, 2018 manufacturing year- didn’t have either of the issues.