Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle noise coming from front Air Suspension (2017-18)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Snapshot of the questionary results from the 12 of June til now:
upload_2018-6-20_16-16-44.png

• Informative
Reactions: Bebop
To follow up on this issue in my car... Brought my car into the SC on Thursday the 12th. Test drove with mechanic and we both immediately heard the popping noise. Picked up car the next day and noise was much reduced. The fix was listed as "replace axle washers and nuts. Lubed front and rear axle to hub mating service." After I drove it for a couple more days... popping noise is there; much better, but still there. And it's there when I turn my steering wheel too... although that may be a different problem that makes a similar sound. I don't know. Either way, worth it to mention the axle bolts to the SC if you drop off the car for this problem. I'll likely bring the car back before the warranty expires to have it fixed again.

On a related note, I noticed something odd on the service invoice. Each issue is listed separately, but some of the payments are "Pay Type: Warranty" and some are "Pay Type: Goodwill - Service". I can't see any rhyme or reason to them. Thoughts?

I just received the following from Executive Care:

--------------------------------
I wanted to inform you that our engineers have identified the root cause of this rattle issue and are working to make the solution available soon. This is not a manufacturing defect and has no impact on performance or reliability. Nonetheless, based on this feedback, we are working on a design modification to solve this concern. The design modification is currently undergoing validation and we expect to be able to install it on customer cars requesting it, most probably by end of Summer. Once available, your local service center will be able to assist you further. Thank you for your understanding!
----------------------------------

Good to know! Keep us updated if you get any more emails or notifications from them.

• Informative
Reactions: Dragetreneren
And it's there when I turn my steering wheel too... although that may be a different problem that makes a similar sound. I don't know.

On a related note, I noticed something odd on the service invoice. Each issue is listed separately, but some of the payments are "Pay Type: Warranty" and some are "Pay Type: Goodwill - Service". I can't see any rhyme or reason to them. Thoughts?
Popping noises when turning the steering wheel is a known issue. See my response in post #288.
Even though the parts to fix my car aren’t in, my car is completely silent again from them just tightening things up.
Steering "Click" at stop and low speed--normal or not

Warranty vs Goodwill is just a case of CYA. Goodwill admits to no real/endemic issue. Just an annoyance they fixed for you out of the goodness of their hearts.

• Informative
Re-posting the questionary Rattle noise coming from front suspension

Please share with those you know are affected.

P.S. You can always come back and change your answer in case you need to :) Can be used as the current status monitoring for anyone interested.

Wow, only during the course of last week there have registered been 37 vehicles in the questionary. This is given the questionary itself is "hidden" in the posts on this thread. Impressive!

There is something our American mates can do to improve diagrams on the questionary however and that is super easy to do. If we all agree to use only one abbreviation for The United States of America and that would be three letters code USA that would be so perfect! The thing is there are owners across the globe that suffer from this problem and American reporters take half of the diagram because of different ways to spell their home country.

This is the same problems as me.... you can also watch my noise problem in youtube.
Tesla must solve this problem as soon as possible.
It seems horse cart.

Dear SAM KIM, it might be helpfull if you took recording while going over a uneven surface. It does not need to be too harsh, but I found it challenging to recognize anything matching your description on the video you have already posted.

Dear SAM KIM, it might be helpfull if you took recording while going over a uneven surface. It does not need to be too harsh, but I found it challenging to recognize anything matching your description on the video you have already posted.

Thanks for your comment. Uneven surface start at 2:30 in my video.
I drive on uneven asphalt pavement and speed bump. also you can hear white noise when I put break lightly.
and I really wonder what make noise. as I know, frame is very strong. and suspension comes from Mercedes Benz.

• Informative
Thanks for your comment. Uneven surface start at 2:30 in my video.
I drive on uneven asphalt pavement and speed bump. also you can hear white noise when I put break lightly.
and I really wonder what make noise. as I know, frame is very strong. and suspension comes from Mercedes Benz.

Yes indeed, the rattle is clearly heard starting at 2:30 of your video. Thank you for your comment :)

I just received the following from Executive Care:

--------------------------------
I wanted to inform you that our engineers have identified the root cause of this rattle issue and are working to make the solution available soon. This is not a manufacturing defect and has no impact on performance or reliability. Nonetheless, based on this feedback, we are working on a design modification to solve this concern. The design modification is currently undergoing validation and we expect to be able to install it on customer cars requesting it, most probably by end of Summer. Once available, your local service center will be able to assist you further. Thank you for your understanding!
----------------------------------
@ptekno Would you be able to pull details of their promise? According to this, Tesla shouold be able to specify the problem and the exact solution...

A local Service technician identified the noise easily in my March 2018 S100D as he had heard it in other customers’ cars and arranged for an improvement to the bracing. This was done in 10 minutes in my driveway last week by the mobile service team. The hollow knocking is reduced a bit but still evident. It’s really only apparent at low speeds (up to about 40km/h) in town on older ashphalt surfaces. No discussion at the time of the fix on future intervention but the technician who first isolated the noise for me said he didn’t think a long-term solution was available yet.

The second technician provided some insight into the difficulty of isolating the source of the noise saying the local SC had worked at the problem in another customer’s car for four days!

I would hazard a guess that there could be multiple sources of noises but progress has been made diagnosing the root cause of the hollow knocking sound.

Hi Guys,

I called the SC today and spoke to the chef of service. He explained that there are currently 2 possible sources of the issue:
The steering rack or the shock tower braces.
In my case they will focuss on the shock tower braces and there is a 50/50 chance that this will resolve it.
They would not share the service bulletin with me when I asked them however he was willing to explain a bit more technical what was the content.
Basically they say the shock tower braces are a part of the carrying structure of the car and they take care of the stiffness.
It seems there is some torsion on these parts that are producing the noices. They will modifiy this part (so not replace it) with some rivets.
Doing this should alter the torsion areas and remove the sound.
They will know directly after doing the modification if it resolved the issue. In case it did not they will have to order the steering rack and replace this.

It is now confirmed that they will do this during my first regular 20K km service visit that is scheduled for 09/07.

I will keep you informed on the outcome.