Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle noise coming from front Air Suspension (2017-18)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If in fact the Model 3 has the same issue I am really getting concerned!

That tells me that either they don’t know what’s causing the sound, hence they make the same mistake with the model 3, or they just don’t take it serious and just keep pushing out cars they know will/might have this issue.

Based on what I have read and gotten feedback from SC, Tesla Engineering has been working on a fix (based on what I have read for a long long time, almost a year). What I am wondering is, have they identified the root cause or are they still investigating? Or are they working on fixing the root cause?

The sound is just a symptom and I am yet to have anyone tell me what exactly is causing the sound! Tesla tells me the car is safe to drive, but how can I be sure of that, cause they won’t/can’t tell me exactly what’s wrong... I am just gonna take their word on this? Safety is one issue, but is the cars performance/comfort (besides the annoying sound) affected by this?

What’s the solution? What’s the problem? According my Tesla SC there isn’t a solution yet.

I was told by my ranger that there is the equivalent of a TSB for this issue and it has specific instructions on how to isolate this noise from the others. There are several noises at play. For my situation and the one I believe started this thread, the service center is supposed to instrument the car with microphones in the strut area. Be able to reproduce the sound with the appropriate road surface. Then remove the strut brace and see if the sound is eliminated. If so, then the struts need to be replaced. This is the last item, no new struts with the fix are yet available. It is an internal to the strut issue. Rangers can watch the TSB thread and get updates when parts become available. That is where my case stands at the moment.

My ranger replaced the struts anyway (which took 4 months for parts) with old parts since at the time he hadn't yet found the TSB. That has eliminated my rattle but it is also hot here now and my noise shows up at < 65 F. We will see how it does as winter approaches.

• Informative
Reactions: CaliSol
I left my car today at the SC because of a loose door panel and the infamous front suspension rattle. The tech wanted to go for a quick drive and it only took about 50ft for him to notice the rattle. It seemed new to him, so this may be another run around.

After following this thread for a couple of months, I was dreading to leave the car at the SC knowing that the problem isn't going to be solved. Now I am stuck with a Buick ICE rental vehicle until Friday (Best case) :-(.

Now I have officially become one of the many that are dealing with Tesla Rattle. This is one club I was not looking forward to.

I had a rattle in my 70d Ms that the service center fixed last week. It seems I was missing a retaining spring in my passenger side brake pad. They fixed it within a few minutes. No more rattle.
Sounds like an isolated issue with your vehicle and not related to the issue being discussed in this thread.

I left my car today at the SC because of a loose door panel and the infamous front suspension rattle. The tech wanted to go for a quick drive and it only took about 50ft for him to notice the rattle. It seemed new to him, so this may be another run around.

After following this thread for a couple of months, I was dreading to leave the car at the SC knowing that the problem isn't going to be solved. Now I am stuck with a Buick ICE rental vehicle until Friday (Best case) :-(.

Now I have officially become one of the many that are dealing with Tesla Rattle. This is one club I was not looking forward to.

I totally share your feelings. But it might be wise to realize where you are and take the road to the solution together.

Here is the post with questionary you may want to participate in: Rattle noise coming from front suspension

UPDATE: So today the service center has been driving my car around their area in attempts to isolate the rattle and where it is coming from. They have had my car since Monday morning and have now driven over 25 miles in the car. They asked me to leave the car until next Monday to further investigate which is a good thing, but it is a bit frustrating as I still have the Buick. I asked for the car back for the weekend and they emphasized that I leave it. In trying to give them more time, I asked them for a Tesla loaner vehicle instead of the Buick, they said yes.

Stay tuned, these techs might find something out about the problem or nothing at all...

The rattling noise what everybody is taling about, does it sound like a clunk from the suspension?

Mine is making a clunk, clunk sound when taking a speed bump, metal on metal, like 2 canisters touching eachother because of the weight of the vehicle.

So the sound goes like clunk, clunk, double clunk when set on high and now it makes the clunk noise even on standard height.

The rattling noise what everybody is taling about, does it sound like a clunk from the suspension?

Mine is making a clunk, clunk sound when taking a speed bump, metal on metal, like 2 canisters touching eachother because of the weight of the vehicle.

So the sound goes like clunk, clunk, double clunk when set on high and now it makes the clunk noise even on standard height.

It is this exactly what this video depicts.

Reactions: Dragetreneren
There are a number of different rattles and there have been at least 3 distinct fixes attempted for them to this point:

1. Front air strut replacement
2. Steering rack replacement
3. Riveting the windshield washer motor mount

In my own personal experience, the rattling has gotten progressively better with each of these three fixes but it is still intermittently present.

According to a customer service agent I recently spoke to, there was apparently a “big fix” attempted by engineering a couple of months ago that unfortunately did not work as intended. There is another “big fix” currently being tested and that should hopefully be available in a couple of months.

UPDATE: So today the service center has been driving my car around their area in attempts to isolate the rattle and where it is coming from. They have had my car since Monday morning and have now driven over 25 miles in the car. They asked me to leave the car until next Monday to further investigate which is a good thing, but it is a bit frustrating as I still have the Buick. I asked for the car back for the weekend and they emphasized that I leave it. In trying to give them more time, I asked them for a Tesla loaner vehicle instead of the Buick, they said yes.

Stay tuned, these techs might find something out about the problem or nothing at all...
You can find a post wiyh youtube video in this thread where mechanic from Nederland have localized the source of noise. It is namely in the upper part where shock absorbers are mounted to the chassis. Additionally there is a squircky noise that might be present which is heard from approx center console, closer to the windshield.

Last edited:
There are a number of different rattles and there have been at least 3 distinct fixes attempted for them to this point:

1. Front air strut replacement
2. Steering rack replacement
3. Riveting the windshield washer motor mount

In my own personal experience, the rattling has gotten progressively better with each of these three fixes but it is still intermittently present.

According to a customer service agent I recently spoke to, there was apparently a “big fix” attempted by engineering a couple of months ago that unfortunately did not work as intended. There is another “big fix” currently being tested and that should hopefully be available in a couple of months.
Would you mind asking the SC you are communicating with about details if the "big" fix? This would spare many from spending money on appealing to legal counsel.

Hi,

Update from my side. My car was with the SC for 4 days again last week. They replaced the front struts this time. When I got my car back the sound was almost completely gone. Sounds like when I first got it on delivery day.
The engineer said that the issue is not resolved but that they could now confirm that the issue in my case is indeed coming from the struts and that we have to wait for a new version of them to come out before it can be completely fixed.
For the moment i am happy my car is silent again. let's see how long it takes for the sound to come back...