Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle noise coming from front Air Suspension (2017-18)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The new parts weren't available then, so he probably just got the same revision he already had installed. (That happened to a lot of people.)

They will have to replace them again once they get the new corrected parts.

It would help if Tesla made an official announcement with parts involved listed. Even though they are unwilling to disclose the details of the design change.

I anticipate that the solution would also include reinforcement of tower braces since this was something SC hesitated to correct before the problem causing rattling and driving discomfort is resolved.

Reactions: Art VandeIay
I've been into my SC today for this issue. The service manager came out for a drive with me and straight away knew what the problem was, he was just surprised it had happened so quickly on my car (3 weeks old) until he saw that I'd done 2.5k miles. Below is his explanation, please bear in mind its his explanation and not mine...

The front dampers have a rod that runs down the centre of them. This rod has some "play" in it to allow for heat expansion, so it rattles within the damper and causes this noise. This is apparently normal and isn't audible in other cars, however because of the way the strut braces are designed in the MS they effectively transmit the noise straight into the cabin, making an usually inaudible noise quite loud (he said mine was the worst he'd heard of approx 10).

He said new dampers are available to place on pre-order to fix this problem and has placed the order for me, however he couldn't explain what has changed within the new dampers as they haven't actually had the final service bulletin yet.

I've been into my SC today for this issue. The service manager came out for a drive with me and straight away knew what the problem was, he was just surprised it had happened so quickly on my car (3 weeks old) until he saw that I'd done 2.5k miles. Below is his explanation, please bear in mind its his explanation and not mine...

The front dampers have a rod that runs down the centre of them. This rod has some "play" in it to allow for heat expansion, so it rattles within the damper and causes this noise. This is apparently normal and isn't audible in other cars, however because of the way the strut braces are designed in the MS they effectively transmit the noise straight into the cabin, making an usually inaudible noise quite loud (he said mine was the worst he'd heard of approx 10).

He said new dampers are available to place on pre-order to fix this problem and has placed the order for me, however he couldn't explain what has changed within the new dampers as they haven't actually had the final service bulletin yet.

This is effectively the very first explanation :)

Would you mind confirming with your service manager if both parts are subject to replacement meaning the whole Air Spring Module + Shock assembly or just one of them? Which one?

And that explanation likely means whatever drivability problem you are seeing isn't directly related to the issue that they are resolving. (Assuming that your "driving comfort" complaint is something other than the noise.)

...there is a hope though. "Noise" is caused by some (unspecified) mechanical movements. It's a fact.

Without knowing details of the problem nor the design change this would be a pure speculation. But it is challenging to isolate acoustic waves produced by mechanical shocks so there is a chance of Tesla addressing the core problem and hence restoring "driving comfort" if the problem is no longer audible.

At the same time I cannot get over the scepsis based on a simple logic. If the defect is insignificant then publishing its details together with the details of the design change should not produce any spin-offs that could hurt Tesla. On the contrary, it would only improve company image proving its solid engineering background and loyalty to their customers. Is Tesla going to nevertheless go public on this one? If not then the question remains - WHY?

I wish Tesla was represented here on TMC. I realy cannot judge owners exercising their consumer rights, but it is too easy to default on that with the approach to solving problems that Tesla have demonstrated with this case so far. I am sure a lot of affected customers would rest assured that they can rely on Tesla. Those who ventured to defend themselves by appealing to legal council would probably withdraw their enquiries and become Teslas good voice instead of the opposite. Speaking for myself I realy wanted to contribute to the positive company genesis as It professional with a large network of people working in various domains. I wanted to help Tesla automotive expansion bringing all my knowledge and passion for technology. Now, since the start of the problem deployment since presumably mid 2017 think how many new owners like myself have stumbled on this one. Still there is a hope. Even with the current situation Tesla can still turn it to a positive showcase. Explainig the challendges and the ways to overcome them will be met with open hearts of anyone including those who have suffered and didn't know about this particular thread. Tesla is a young company. Everybody knows what it means to be young - a lot of challenges, attempts to meet them. It is O'Kay so long this is going somewhere. Tesla, Elon Musk, you can fix this now. Just do it.

Last edited:
I just received notice from Tesla that they have a guaranteed solution now and will be rolling it out to service centers, pending parts. Fingers crossed.
OK some very good news from my side.

I wrote back to the customer support, after the note I had gotten back in June.

They replied saying the fix had been found and parts would be available in the next 2-3 weeks. My local SC will contact me once they have the parts.
Hi, did you contact your SC or did they contact you? I went to them about two weeks ago, they acknowledged that my 2018 S75D has this issue and promised to reach out when a fix is available.

Reported front-end 'noise' issue on 1/6/18 with my 2017 Model S75D. Today had front struts replaced with updated ones and problem finally appears to be gone. Let's hope it stays that way.
Would you care to share service invoice writings?
it will also help if you post pictures of the part numbers of new air spring modules and if you manage also shocks. Thank you so much in advance!

Note that the "whole thing" used to be an air spring from Firestone over a strut from Bilstien. I assume it's still the same (the Bilstien sticker is harder to see).

Yes, the shock is from Bilstein USA. I hope somebody can manage to get hold of the shock part number. It is a bit tricky, but possible. If the wheel is unmounted it is much easier to access the thin label of the Bilstein shock.

I just got a call from my local Tesla SC. They told me that the parts just came in last week to fix the front end rattle and scheduled me for the service 16-Oct at 8:30am. I was really surprised but she assured me that this is definitely the same issue that Tesla Engineering has been working on for years. I will update when the work is done!

Please do. Tell your SC about many many exhausted but still full of hope and faith people all over the World that are thirsty about the details of the problem and the revolutionary design change. Please post Tesla explanation, pictures of the struts air module, shock and description of the work done from the service invoice!