Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle noise coming from front Air Suspension (2017-18)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Carried Dec MS 2017 75 2000 miles into SC Dec 27. Sent video. Cleaned bash, changed struts then put mine back. Changed steering box then put mine back. They don’t know what to do. Reporting it to engineers as if it’s a new problem. Maybe an updated part. ? when part will be available. 2 hrs from SC in Charlotte NC. Should I just go get it?

Can those of you who have the problem resolved with the 77-C struts publish a picture of the part number for the Bilstein shock absorber?

It is a narrow strip between the spring and the top of the strut leg. See example here:
20181208_124333.jpg

Reactions: TS_Rob
Can those of you who have the problem resolved with the 77-C struts publish a picture of the part number for the Bilstein shock absorber?

It is a narrow strip between the spring and the top of the strut leg. See example here:
View attachment 364684
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)
Didn’t see this upon a brief inspection.
Does suspension need to be set to very high
and/or have the wheels turned...?
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Reactions: Dragetreneren
Just had my car in for the same rattle (august 2017 built 75D model S).

Just got it back with a statement saying that this issue is currently under investigation).

I wonder how long they can keep saying that..

In Norway btw.

Perhaps it’s because the latest fix hasn’t been working for all vehicles. I got the latest fix (replacement struts 77-C) in October. For about a month and 1,000 miles my car (9/2017 90D) sounded beautiful and rattle-free. But, the rattle slowly came back after that. My car has now been at the shop for over a week now. I’ll post an update when I get it back, hopefully this week.

• Love
After a long wait and many many email exchanges/visits to the Costa Mesa SC, I finally got the 77-C installed last Friday. I have only accumulated 200+ miles with the new struts, but first impression is the replacements have eliminated the noise I originally reported. There is no more click/rattle noise going over roads that I used to hear daily for over a year. I know others have reported the issue coming back after a while so I will post any changes.

I also got the fix just 2 days ago and no rattle so far. Made about 500 miles so far. I will keep posted. The service was done in Bellevue, WA. Funny enough before I went there several times and giving them the new part number they had o clue about all this. They also happened to have another car in with the same issue, I assume that made them to go and read the internal bulletin about the new part and acknowledged the problem. I hope the rattle does not come back. 75D, June built, 19 inch.

Is there a particular range of VIN's or production dates where this problem has been identified? Looking at 2017 MS100d's and don't want to walk into a problem.
I am beginning to suspect that it is possible with any Model S with the redesigned front end without a nose cone. I was told that the struts on these cars is a different part. I have had the issue on a 2017 & a 2018. The 2017 was much worse. May just be the luck of the draw with tolerances...
Mine appears to be resolved on the 2018 for now with the new front struts.

Is there a particular range of VIN's or production dates where this problem has been identified? Looking at 2017 MS100d's and don't want to walk into a problem.

SC technicians say this is relevant for post facelift TMS vehicles (approx. april 2016). Some owners even claim RWD models affected.

Even demo 2018 cars had it. I wish my demo-car had it. The idea of buying TMS would have never crossed my mind then.

How can anyone call himself an engineer if during a course of more than 1 year he was not able to solve this. This is tragic.

I would classify it as an annoyance. It seems to be only present below 15 MPH and only on certain bumpy roads. Since they are likely to finally get a fix, this should be way down the concern list.

• Funny
Yes, definitely affected and validated by Tesla as well. But no solution available- unlike the revised part number for dual motor models. :(

I have no overview of the effect of the last revision (1067361-77-C) for dual motor vehicles. The problem does come back despite of some owners reporting that it helped. So, you should not feel like RWD owners have been overlooked.

Reactions: ishareit
I have no overview of the effect of the last revision (1067361-77-C) for dual motor vehicles. The problem does come back despite of some owners reporting that it helped. So, you should not feel like RWD owners have been overlooked.
Randomly checked Tesla's part catalogue and see that there is a new part # for RWD - 1067362-77-B. Going in for service this month and will report back my experience.

Screen Shot 2019-01-09 at 10.38.39 PM.png