Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle noise coming from front Air Suspension (2017-18)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m keeping this alive because it’s annoying AF. Still waiting for parts. Getting worse. Now feels like steering is a bit looser and may be pulling to left a little. Seems steering wheel is not centered now. Not sure if it’s related to this rattling. Car just doesn’t feel as tight to drive. Brake pedal feels loose and loud as well compared to a loaner I received on first round of repairs. Also I feel no difference on steering settings. 5k miles. Blah.

Just received a text from Tesla saying my parts are now backordered. waiting............

Today I got my P100D (early 2017) back from the Burlingame, CA service center with the revised 77-C parts installed on the front wheels. They had the car for a week, also did an annual service, and worked on a couple other minor (unrelated) issues.

I have been experiencing "the rattle" for the last year and half, and first started noticing it (to the best of my memory) when my car was about 6 months old (around mid-2017). I did mention the rattle during a SC visit several months ago, and they came back "it is caused by the steering rack" and the car is "functioning normally". I didn't really buy that explanation, and since then, I have been reading this thread, biding my time until it seemed like there was a solution.

My car sounds exactly like all the sample videos posted here -- that "wobbly", randomish, somewhat rattly, somewhat muted, sound/feel that seems to come from front, possibly the driver's side -- occurring most prominently over uneven pavement around 10 mph, and not really present (or at least apparent) at higher speeds. The first and last few minutes of my daily drive fit that scenario -- so needless to say my days always start and end on a slightly depressing note, for the last year and half.

Anyway, the invoice from my visit this week states that the 77-C parts were installed, and I have verified this (by looking at the stickers on the parts themselves which are now on my car).

Drum-roll please....

There is absolutely zero change in the rattle noise. The identical rattle was still there immediately upon driving away from the SC.

This despite the invoice item for the repair beginning with the description, "Driveway technician verified on a road test and recommends to update the front air springs with the revised part", and ending with, "Verified noise concerns are no longer present".

These two statements in the item must have come from different people! Last week, the "driveway technician" seemed quite aware of the issue, and recognized it when I was able to clearly and obviously demo it to him (over a rough patch of road near the SC) and he even went on to describe the 77-C fix as addressing an issue where the diameter of two parts allowed "too much play" and that the revised part "had a smaller diameter" that would resolve the noise. When I asked if that SC had "already done some" of these repairs, he said yes other customers had come in for the revised parts and resolved the noise. Even though there have been mixed outcomes reported with the 77-C in this thread, I was hopeful due to the Service Bulletin from Tesla, and even more hopeful as I drove away from the SC last week. (Even though all they could give me for a loaner was a horrible ICE boat known as a Chevy Impala.)

I was so bummed on my drive home from the SC this evening. When I got the "your car is ready" call from the SC earlier today, I was so excited that the stupid rattle was going to be gone!

Now, given my outcome, I concede that I may certainly have some other kind of issue. (Although see my earlier comment about how the sound is exactly like the videos and precisely fits the descriptions given by countless others in this thread.) Or, perhaps not all 77-C parts are created equal.

Naturally, I intend to complain to the SC that the problem still isn't fixed, and point out that the "Verified noise concerns are no longer present" statement on the invoice must be some kind of mistake. For crying out loud, there is a nearby patch of road (that I drove immediately after picking up my car today) where the problem is easily reproduced (where the original driveway technician verified the problem). Why didn't they replicate that test?! I can only conclude that these "driveway technicians" and the "repair technicians" don't seem to have a very good system of communication, which is quite disappointing.

*sigh*

My car sounds exactly like all the sample videos posted here -- that "wobbly", randomish, somewhat rattly, somewhat muted, sound/feel that seems to come from front, possibly the driver's side -- occurring most prominently over uneven pavement around 10 mph, and not really present (or at least apparent) at higher speeds. The first and last few minutes of my daily drive fit that scenario -- so needless to say my days always start and end on a slightly depressing note, for the last year and half.
I have been monitoring this thread as my Model X has the same issue. They replaced a air spring module 18 months ago and the sound returned just after I had new tires installed recently. The symptoms are exactly as you report. Its at slower speeds and not really going over bumps but just roads that cause the car to pitch and roll a bit because of non perfect road surface.

The SC had issues finding the cause this time and here is what they wrote up. Note I still have the rattle because they only had one part to replace and to date have not contacted me in over three weeks to finish the repair.

Customer states they had the tires replaced and I hear a clunk again like I did when the front struts went out last year. Customer states its intermittent at 30mph or less. Customer declines road test at this time. Check and advise. Reference to RONC9823012478: Concern: "Customer states there is a noise coming from rear/front of car like a "strut or bearing is loose".....Correction: replaced the Air Spring Module - Front - LH".
Road tested vehicle for noise from the front end. Noise is a loud knocking from the left front. Checked torque specs for front suspension and torqued to specifications. Noise still present. Connect chassis ear to the left front strut tower and confirmed that the strut is quite noisy. Needs to have the left front air module replaced and re checked afterwards. Road tested after annual service was completed. The alignment is fine. We replaced the left front air strut and now the right side is making more noise than the LF did. We had to order the RF strut. Customer may take vehicle and bring back once the strut gets here

Note from my invoice 18 months ago the part replaced was the same as this time so for the Model X, no new part was designed.

Today I got my P100D (early 2017) back from the Burlingame, CA service center with the revised 77-C parts installed on the front wheels. They had the car for a week, also did an annual service, and worked on a couple other minor (unrelated) issues.

I have been experiencing "the rattle" for the last year and half, and first started noticing it (to the best of my memory) when my car was about 6 months old (around mid-2017). I did mention the rattle during a SC visit several months ago, and they came back "it is caused by the steering rack" and the car is "functioning normally". I didn't really buy that explanation, and since then, I have been reading this thread, biding my time until it seemed like there was a solution.

Anyway, the invoice from my visit this week states that the 77-C parts were installed, and I have verified this (by looking at the stickers on the parts themselves which are now on my car).

Drum-roll please....

There is absolutely zero change in the rattle noise. The identical rattle was still there immediately upon driving away from the SC.

This despite the invoice item for the repair beginning with the description, "Driveway technician verified on a road test and recommends to update the front air springs with the revised part", and ending with, "Verified noise concerns are no longer present".

These two statements in the item must have come from different people! Last week, the "driveway technician" seemed quite aware of the issue, and recognized it when I was able to clearly and obviously demo it to him (over a rough patch of road near the SC) and he even went on to describe the 77-C fix as addressing an issue where the diameter of two parts allowed "too much play" and that the revised part "had a smaller diameter" that would resolve the noise. When I asked if that SC had "already done some" of these repairs, he said yes other customers had come in for the revised parts and resolved the noise. Even though there have been mixed outcomes reported with the 77-C in this thread, I was hopeful due to the Service Bulletin from Tesla, and even more hopeful as I drove away from the SC last week. (Even though all they could give me for a loaner was a horrible ICE boat known as a Chevy Impala.)

I was so bummed on my drive home from the SC this evening. When I got the "your car is ready" call from the SC earlier today, I was so excited that the stupid rattle was going to be gone!

Now, given my outcome, I concede that I may certainly have some other kind of issue. (Although see my earlier comment about how the sound is exactly like the videos and precisely fits the descriptions given by countless others in this thread.) Or, perhaps not all 77-C parts are created equal.

Naturally, I intend to complain to the SC that the problem still isn't fixed, and point out that the "Verified noise concerns are no longer present" statement on the invoice must be some kind of mistake. For crying out loud, there is a nearby patch of road (that I drove immediately after picking up my car today) where the problem is easily reproduced (where the original driveway technician verified the problem). Why didn't they replicate that test?! I can only conclude that these "driveway technicians" and the "repair technicians" don't seem to have a very good system of communication, which is quite disappointing.

*sigh*

The issue does not need to be bushings at the top of the strut. My assumption is that there is a design issue in the front suspension which is challenging them.

The new struts ensure a more supple ride and constitute an attempt to mitigate the problem that has not been announced yet. This is my perception at least.

Drum-roll please....

*sigh*

This was my experience as well … installation of the new part number struts did not resolve the issue. I took it back and they replaced the steering rack and now the rattle issue is gone (at least for the past 2 months or so). I'm not saying that it is a permanent fix and I wonder each day if the problem will return.

Reactions: MP3Mike
A81569CB-2187-434A-A0E2-0F12399F2CBE.png Apparently this is where Tesla Service Centers in the US are going with this. Rattles are not covered under warranty and a charge to diagnose them. This is what they told me too and my rattle is getting worse even though they replaced the STEERING GEAR ASSY, but refused to replace the 77-B ( still have 25-B ) parts and basically told me not to bother them about it anymore. This is very disappointing.

After service didn’t fix the rattle at all even though they said it was fixed, I called several times and emailed ( no answer) and they finally agreed to send another ranger. I know the ranger is not equipped to fix suspension problems. The ranger came to my house, heard the rattle, ( my suspension also made awful noises he said were not normal when he raised and lowered it) said he was putting in an order for parts. He said Tesla wants us to be happy customers and would fix everything, but it has been several weeks with no news. He said service would call me to schedule, but I don’t have much confidence that they will.

There is never a written trace when the rangers come. I don’t know what they actually turn in. SC didn’t even know that the first ranger had come to my house and advised me to carry the car in to be serviced ( 2 hr drive ) because he was not equipped to handle it.

My first complaint was within the first year. 2000 miles only. They don’t seem to communicate even amongst themselves. Ranger asked me to send videos to service and service wasn’t even interested in them. I practically had to force them to watch the videos.

I really don’t know what to do at this point. I wonder if Elon would want his car to rattle like this. I’m really worried about the cost of future repairs. Something will break a some point with metal rubbing and grinding.

December 2017 Model S 75 EAP

My local SC told me that the suspension rattle noise is a "sound", not a "noise", and that it's "just the way the car is".
They still claim it's the steering rack for which there is no fix, but added it's because it's a more robust one (lol?).

I told them repeatedly about 77C but they refused to believe that was it...

My local SC told me that the suspension rattle noise is a "sound", not a "noise", and that it's "just the way the car is".
They still claim it's the steering rack for which there is no fix, but added it's because it's a more robust one (lol?).

I told them repeatedly about 77C but they refused to believe that was it...

May be conversation would go differently i the problem was a train, Tesla was sitting on the rails and you told them the train is coming and if they do not believe it it can have a catastrophic consequence?

Personally I do not see how this situation is different.

Reactions: emmz0r
View attachment 377452 Apparently this is where Tesla Service Centers in the US are going with this. Rattles are not covered under warranty and a charge to diagnose them. This is what they told me too and my rattle is getting worse even though they replaced the STEERING GEAR ASSY, but refused to replace the 77-B ( still have 25-B ) parts and basically told me not to bother them about it anymore. This is very disappointing.

After service didn’t fix the rattle at all even though they said it was fixed, I called several times and emailed ( no answer) and they finally agreed to send another ranger. I know the ranger is not equipped to fix suspension problems. The ranger came to my house, heard the rattle, ( my suspension also made awful noises he said were not normal when he raised and lowered it) said he was putting in an order for parts. He said Tesla wants us to be happy customers and would fix everything, but it has been several weeks with no news. He said service would call me to schedule, but I don’t have much confidence that they will.

There is never a written trace when the rangers come. I don’t know what they actually turn in. SC didn’t even know that the first ranger had come to my house and advised me to carry the car in to be serviced ( 2 hr drive ) because he was not equipped to handle it.

My first complaint was within the first year. 2000 miles only. They don’t seem to communicate even amongst themselves. Ranger asked me to send videos to service and service wasn’t even interested in them. I practically had to force them to watch the videos.

I really don’t know what to do at this point. I wonder if Elon would want his car to rattle like this. I’m really worried about the cost of future repairs. Something will break a some point with metal rubbing and grinding.

December 2017 Model S 75 EAP

Maybe escalate to your local news I-team. Nothing gets the attention of companies than negative press. The rattle issue is not isolated to you and appears to be a worldwide problem. Even though my “fix” has resolved the issue for now, but who knows if or when it will return.

Maybe escalate to your local news I-team. Nothing gets the attention of companies than negative press. The rattle issue is not isolated to you and appears to be a worldwide problem. Even though my “fix” has resolved the issue for now, but who knows if or when it will return.

A constructive dialog resulting in an productive engineering effort is way more efficient method of addressing this problem I think. It is totally different story if Tesla chooses alternative solutions. But, again, media coverage and a class law suit is the very last resort. This cannot go on for long time before the arguments for suitable strategy have been identified though.

After 3000 km, I'm cautiously saying that the problem is coming back.. It's very soft at the moment, but since I've learned to recognize it before, I know it's there.. Probably not yet noticeable for others, maybe not yet for a Tesla Engineer :)
I'll go ahead and report the return of the problem just to be sure.
It does reconfirm what others have been saying that the problem returns, even with the 77-C's mounted according to the invoice.

Two weeks and 2000km since 77-C's replacement - still rattlefree. BTW: I had to change suspension height a couple of times due to snow on uncleared roadway- I was afraid to do so, because some of the drivers reported it came back by doing so - not for me. I enjoy every kilometer without rattle...

Btw: does anybody know the design difference between front and back struts. It seems that the problem only exists on the front ones which would support Drageterenen's theory if I understood correctly

My S goes in for a replacement windshield this week, I'd added the suspension noise to the service ticket (they were unable to solve it during the cars annual service in June 2018). This was their reply, it seems to be 'policy' now.

If your appointment has one or more concerns pertaining to a noise/vibration: Note that noise/vibration concerns are not covered under the warranty but we will warranty these issues if you are within 12 months or 12,000 miles of the purchase date (whichever comes first) There is an initial estimate of $175/1-hour of labor to diagnose each noise/vibration concern. Diagnosis can go one of two ways: (1) If the diagnosis determines the noise/vibration is due to a defective/faulty part you will not be charged and the repairs will be covered under your warranty. (2) If the diagnosis determines there are no malfunctioning parts requiring replacement, you will be responsible for the cost of repairs. If you choose to decline repairs you will be charged only the diagnostic fee of $175.

Is there an official service bulletin that states the front shocks should be replaced with the 77C versions?

• Informative
Reactions: Dragetreneren
... This was their reply, it seems to be 'policy' now.

If your appointment has one or more concerns pertaining to a noise/vibration: Note that noise/vibration concerns are not covered under the warranty but we will warranty these issues if you are within 12 months or 12,000 miles of the purchase date (whichever comes first) There is an initial estimate of $175/1-hour of labor to diagnose each noise/vibration concern. Diagnosis can go one of two ways: (1) If the diagnosis determines the noise/vibration is due to a defective/faulty part you will not be charged and the repairs will be covered under your warranty. (2) If the diagnosis determines there are no malfunctioning parts requiring replacement, you will be responsible for the cost of repairs. If you choose to decline repairs you will be charged only the diagnostic fee of $175.

This is rather provocative.

SB: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10148826-9999.pdf

But the SB has proven to leave the issue unresolved - with the assumption that Tesla service centers apply the highest level of expertise when executing the repair. In some cases it takes longer time for the issue effects to come back.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: aesculus
Dude, this ball bearing on suspension arm is not original one.

It is aftermarket sold on ebay, issue with that ballbearing is oversized.
When old BB is pressed out, and new aftermarket pressed in, it cracks arm ring. New BB must be measured and slightly refinished on CNC to fit inside ori susp arm.

I have air suspension and 19" wheels.
No need to remove the wheel to see it. It is visible if you lay on the ground in front of the car.
The part of my right front suspension that broke is called a Fore Link. The piece that broke off was laying in my driveway.
This looks like this failure could have been very dangerous it it happened at a high speed.
Here's some photos before and after warranty replacement of the Fore Link.
View attachment 283362 View attachment 283363 View attachment 283364 View attachment 283365

This is rather provocative.

SB: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10148826-9999.pdf

But the SB has proven to leave the issue unresolved - with the assumption that Tesla service centers apply the highest level of expertise when executing the repair. In some cases it takes longer time for the issue effects to come back.
Hmm, thanks for that. My S is a June 2016 model, so in theory the SB doesn't apply, even though the symtoms are absolutely as described and heard in this thread.

Reactions: Dragetreneren
I had been tracking this thread for a while, but haven't kept up with the recent posts, so apologies if this has been discussed. I experienced similar rattling starting a few months after taking delivery, and had it addressed during a service visit in Late December. Looks like the same parts that haven't proven to help others, but just adding to the documentation.

Specifics about my case:
Mid-2018 build 75D with air suspension.
Starting hearing rattle at ~5K miles
Had it addressed at 11.5K late December 2018
Currently at 15.5K miles and 2.5 months since, and the rattle has not returned yet nor any other sounds.
Use the suspension level changes multiple times a day (parking at home and work raised to very high, lowered to low on the highway most days)

Below are the note on the invoice.

Customer states the front end rattles when driving slow over bumps.
Technician confirmed customer concern. Removed and replaced front struts
with updated version to address rattle. Vehicle operation tested and verified.
Correction: Exterior NVH General Diagnosis

Correction: Module - Air Suspension - ECU
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity 2
AIR SPRING MODULE FR - MS2 DM SRVC
(1067361-77-C)