Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Raven LR vs LR Plus range issue: car value

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even F type battery rev are showing the same 360 mile ~ 580 kms in the european model S

But remember that while it is hoped that newer cars might actually be more efficient, store more energy in the battery and allow faster charging, the claims you can make can depend as much on regulatory factors and testing rules as well as different features through updates.

Only cars that ticked the right EPA boxes were eligible for the range figure displayed to be increased. I believe that when those select LR cars got their LR+ range displayed, the actual efficiency and range did not change. I have yet to see evidence to the contrary.

IMO, battery energy storage is already at a level that is absolutely fine for most owners (100kwh) as long as the claimed charging speeds are maintained.

What is really worth watching is vehicle efficiency. How many miles net can you travel for a given amount of energy out of a charging socket. (Also I guess fastest acceleration & / or speed if that's what floats your boat)

It will be interesting to see lifetime watt hr / mile figures for LR and LR+ once they get some miles on them. With MS though there won't be the volume of data compared with 3 & Y of course.

@Battpower:
I have an MS LR. My full charge was only showing 361. After the last update, my LR now says LR+ and the full charge started showing 393 miles. I notice that my wh/mi had gone down. I was averaging about 275-290 wh/mi (city/hwy combo driving). I am now averaging between 250-260 wh/mi doing the exact same driving as before. The only difference was the software update. I haven't driven over 390 miles yet but my energy consumption seems to be on track to get really close to 390. My wife has a 2019 Raven MX Performance. Her full charge is only 295 although it was advertised at 305. The update did not change her mileage. It seems to have only affected the MS LRs.

Have a great Sunday!

@Battpower:

Have a great Sunday!

I saw that post. Yes, that does suggest different efficiency, and of course I do not doubt @lawstud11 's observations, but it is still just one case and not over a long period.

I find it a strange concept that an eco-focussed company would intentionally have cars drive around less efficiently than they are capable of just by toggling a software setting! That would be somewhat off-mission imo. Of course, a different matter from what range region-specific regulations allow them to claim.

The kind of data presentation I would really find interesting is like this:

Screenshot_20200103_232857_org.mozilla.firefox.jpg

But showing range instead of charging. Of course charging is interesting too.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Lorians
I just noticed a step in range reported for my MS R 2019 LR by Teslamate.

Went up by about 20 miles since 2020.28.1.

Not had chance to investigate yet.

Some people even reported projected range increase even with 2020.24.6.4 . I am on this version but still showing the deafult 579 kms ~360 mile range. I have a 2020 Ms raven with F type battery

Some people even reported projected range increase even with 2020.24.6.4 . I am on this version but still showing the deafult 579 kms ~360 mile range. I have a 2020 Ms raven with F type battery

I have early Raven with E battery and the range was 352 iirc. Based on other posts I might / should see a step change in efficiency too, which makes sense if the efficiency is somehow used to calculate the range.

The adjustment also makes sense considering the changes that Tesla claim it stems from. The 2019 R LR has some but not all of the 2020 modifications.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Lorians
I have early Raven with E battery and the range was 352 iirc. Based on other posts I might / should see a step change in efficiency too, which makes sense if the efficiency is somehow used to calculate the range.

The adjustment also makes sense considering the changes that Tesla claim it stems from. The 2019 R LR has some but not all of the 2020 modifications.
Looks like they are rolling it in phases

but do you have the long range version of the car and a type F battery....if not, I dont think you will see any change.....the long range was $4999 more......I have the 2020, Mfg date 30 Jan 20.....started off at 325, then 359, then jumped to 373 and then to 391.....now at 396.....my car said it was a Model S Long Range....in March 2020, the update changed my car to a Model s long range plus.....

Screen Shot 2020-07-11 at 2.36.50 PM.png

you can see where the updates took place and how the range increased....my car is capped at 98% capacity and when I do the math, I now have a 96.8% capacity battery......with 3900 miles, that should not equate to this much degradation, so I think I am in pretty good shape....hope this sheds some light for you...make sure your car is long range and has the F battery......

@r1200gs4ok, that is why I posted. Yes, mine is an early 2019 R LR so I was not expecting any change in the displayed range. Shortly after 2020.28.1 the displayed range stepped up to 373 or thereabouts.

@BESLA, maybe your displayed range will continue to tick upwards.

I never understood the underlying reasoning with many posts here.

Pre-Raven 100D 235 mile. (iirc)
2019 Raven LR 250 ish.
2020 LR similar around 250.
2020 LR+ promised 10% increased range.
LR+ originally shipped showing 360 ish, then 370 and most recently over 400.

(not at all exact, just to make my point.)

Elon tweets about increase due to several improvements over time. IMO biggest efficiency gain from front motor change / regen behavior. The 'as supplied' wheel trims on the plus could account for 5%, so where exactly did other gains come from?

I would think that compared with the pre-Raven 100D the 2019 Raven LR probably has 50 to 60% of the 'upgrades' of the LR+, so if my range now sticks at 375 that seems about right compared to model specs either side.

I think the 2019 and 2020 LR are likely / could be the same spec, while the 2020 LR+ must have the rev F battery, electric lube pumps, wheel trims etc. So only the LR+ gets you over 400 miles.

I still do not believe this makes the slightest difference to the actual range I can get from my car and is purely a revision of the numbers shown on the display. Looking forward to having places to go so I can put that theory to the test.

Last edited:
just went for small ride < 5kms and i observed the below :

1. the performance seems to have become more linear. no longer sudden burst of power
2. The strong regen braking is back
3. my average for small distance rides usually used to be around 220 watt/km but now i am seeing figures of 168-180 watt/kms