Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Raven Model S: worth it or wait?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, Sabre Man. But I want more!
:)

I'm in an X, but since you're asking: I'm loving the new suspension. Specifically the adaptive dsmping. Standard feels to me fairly similar to a typical air suspension--smooth, very comfortable, a little floaty. But Sport feels almost like coils--very responsive. I feel like for the first time I get the benefits of air susp while still being able to stick it in Sport and feel the road.

I could not be happier with my Raven Performance. It blows my 2017 100D away - no acceleration shudder, much smoother, and the seats seem to be a bit softer too. Can't say enough good things about the suspension. 345 miles of range is nice too!
OBX John (and other Raven owners)- have you noticed an improved efficiency in terms of kWh/mile?
Also- any details about the suspension feel? In particular- have you had the chance to chuck it around a few corners yet??

OBX John (and other Raven owners)- have you noticed an improved efficiency in terms of kWh/mile?
Also- any details about the suspension feel? In particular- have you had the chance to chuck it around a few corners yet??

I'm still figuring it out - my driving so far has been relatively easy environments - but it does seem like my new Ludicrous Raven X is somewhat more efficient than my previous X75D - which was notably more efficient than the X90D of its day, let alone the XP90D.

About 400 miles in, my lifetime is running 314, vs 332 over 46k on the 75. It's definitely a little more efficient, but I won't be confident exactly where it'll fall until I get more miles and season under my belt. As the EPA numbers suggested, the difference does seem situational - less in open freeway driving, more in stop and go situations.

The suspension definitely absorbs bumps better, while not giving up anything in corners. I'm not quite sure if it's better in corners, but it certainly isn't worse.

Just took our first trip on our S Performance +L and OMG so much better. My 2017 S100D standard had a lifetime avg of 333 and on the same trip never did better than ~315

Raven did ~241 on a 225 mile trip from Atlanta GA to Cherokee NC. I am amazed so far. BTW ....HW3 is 99% better than my HW2.0

Wonderful. I’m about to upgrade from a 2017 s75D to a performance S +ludicrous so happy to hear its good.

But what makes HW3.0 99% better than HW2.0?

I have been vocal that HW2.0 is like a teenage driver in traffic and txting at the same time. More often than not braking was late and abrasive as if it looked up and said oh *sugar* I better stop.

HW3 acts as if it is a seasoned driver looking well down the road and anticipating traffic as you or I would and gently and purposefully slows down with no erratic behavior. Lane changes are also quicker and with confidence. Basically night and day difference.

I am hopeful that all those HW2 owners that pre-paid for FSD will have this experience once their FSD is installed.

This was just posted and also another pet peeve of mine on HW2. (Not mine but exactly what I dealt with literally 30-50 times a day on my 100 mile commute):

Hard braking with TACC in stop-n-go traffic

Last edited:
I have been vocal that HW2.0 is like a teenage driver in traffic and txting at the same time. More often than not braking was late and abrasive as if it looked up and said oh *sugar* I better stop.

HW3 acts as if it is a seasoned driver looking well down the road and anticipating traffic as you or I would and gently and purposefully slows down with no erratic behavior. Lane changes are also quicker and with confidence. Basically night and day difference.

I am hopeful that all those HW2 owners that pre-paid for FSD will have this experience once their FSD is installed.

This was just posted and also another pet peeve of mine on HW2. (Not mine bit exactly what I dealt with literally 30-50 times a day on my 100 mile commute):

I have no experience with AP2, but yes, I was pretty impressed with AP3, and it's certainly much better than AP1 was - smoother and better at handling the unexpected.

I've had a couple ~half second surprise braking events, but I'm not sure how they compare with the phantom braking folks have talked about on AP2+. I suspect they're a lot less violent and/or a lot shorter, because of how vocal folks have been - this was annoying and unexpected, but really seemed pretty minor.

This was just posted and also another pet peeve of mine on HW2. (Not mine bit exactly what I dealt with literally 30-50 times a day on my 100 mile commute):

I don’t experience that weird brake noise. My AP functions pretty smoothly most of the time, and only brakes hard sometimes when people cut in front of me. Phantom braking is very rare and is never like a panic slam on the brakes, but more like regen braking. Maybe V9 breaks AP too. I’m still on V8.

Just returned from a weekend trip from the Bay Area to San Diego and back. Raven, Performance Ludicrous. Have done this trip in the past in a 2016 Model X 90D and a 2013 “classic” Model S P85. About 1000 miles round trip. Typical driving (80-85 on the 5 with passing sprints as needed)

Observations:
- energy consumption was remarkably good. 316 Wh/mi for the entire trip. For comparison, my 2013 Model S was more like 350 on these trips
- much less total time spent charging. I didn’t measure in minutes but you can feel the difference. Stops were intentional to take a break, not because I had to charge. And I did whatever I needed to do while charging and then continued my trip.
- low stress - ZERO range anxiety unlike my other two Tesla’s.
- handling is amazing both on an absolute basis and relative to my previous Tesla’s
- acceleration is just ... ludicrous
- the cabin is so quiet
- biohazard mode is NOT powerful enough to overcome the smell of cow off the 5
- I’m not a big autopilot user - I like to drive, along the lines of those stupid car commercials (Audi?) trying to diss Tesla FSD. That said, I did try both TACC and Autosteer. Seemed to work well but I didn’t use them much. (I don’t have FSD.)

Especially if you’re coming off an older Model S, the Raven upgrade is well worth it. (Plus, I’m with the people who don’t want the model 3 interior in their model s.)

Just returned from a weekend trip from the Bay Area to San Diego and back. Raven, Performance Ludicrous. Have done this trip in the past in a 2016 Model X 90D and a 2013 “classic” Model S P85. About 1000 miles round trip. Typical driving (80-85 on the 5 with passing sprints as needed)

Observations:
- energy consumption was remarkably good. 316 Wh/mi for the entire trip. For comparison, my 2013 Model S was more like 350 on these trips
- much less total time spent charging. I didn’t measure in minutes but you can feel the difference. Stops were intentional to take a break, not because I had to charge. And I did whatever I needed to do while charging and then continued my trip.
- handling is amazing both on an absolute basis and relative to my previous Tesla’s
- the cabin is so quiet
- I’m not a big autopilot user - I like to drive, along the lines of those stupid car commercials (Audi?) trying to diss Tesla FSD. That said, I did try both TACC and Autosteer. Seemed to work well but I didn’t use them much. (I don’t have FSD.)

Especially if you’re coming off an older Model S, the Raven upgrade is well worth it. (Plus, I’m with the people who don’t want the model 3 interior in their model s.)
The cabin is quieter?

Exactly. Same software as far as we know. Does hardware speed improve performance of same code? Maybe.

For sure. HW2.5 was something like 10x faster than HW2. HW3 is something like 1000x faster than HW2.5. Please don't quote my numbers, just for illustrative purposes only. Anyway, even if it's the same software, it can process information much faster and react much faster. I've got a 2.0 car, so I'm sure just a faster processor on the same software can make the entire thing seem smoother and more nuanced.

Reactions: boonedocks
Tell that to the people who can no longer buy a Model S with a sunroof :p

I would not trade my 2018 Model S with a sunroof for a 2019 Raven without a sunroof. I also love the silver exterior of my car and that's another option you can no longer order.

In general things improve but not all changes are positive. I feel this is a great time to buy a Model S because the design has been around for a while and the Model S they are selling now is the best more reliable Model S they have created.

I just hope the sunroof returns with the interior refresh.
Tell that to the people who can no longer buy a Model S with a sunroof :p

I would not trade my 2018 Model S with a sunroof for a 2019 Raven without a sunroof. I also love the silver exterior of my car and that's another option you can no longer order.

In general things improve but not all changes are positive. I feel this is a great time to buy a Model S because the design has been around for a while and the Model S they are selling now is the best more reliable Model S they have created.

I just hope the sunroof returns with the interior refresh.
Sun roof could happen. I saw this job listing for the new California plant.
Production Associate, Pano Roof | Tesla

Observations:
- the cabin is so quiet

So excited to hear this. My Raven Model X w/ludicrous is arriving on Monday. After driving 2 different Model S - most recent one a 2015 before full self driving, I am incredibly excited for the new ride!

Observations:
- the cabin is so quiet

I also just returned from a 1000 mile round trip in my 2019 Raven S. And I totally concur with your findings. My comparison point is my former Model X 75D. The S is very much quieter, handles better, has great range etc. Just excellent.

Here is the TeslaFi report for yesterday's trip and as you can see my wh/mile was pretty darn impressive.

Screen Shot 2019-06-17 at 10.52.44 AM.png

(To be honest though, there was a 4000 foot elevation decrease on the trip.)

The only glitch in the trip was a total autopilot failure just as I was starting the 425 mile return leg. Today it's fully operational all by itself so I am really scratching my head as to what happened. I tried 2 full resets yesterday, a prolonged shut down etc. and nothing worked? Any Ideas?