Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reactions to the Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There has never been a screen that large embedded in a dash before and Tesla's attempts to integrate it have been not so successful. By turning it around and accentuating the screen, the Model X takes a negative and turns it into a positive.

It kind of like when a tall slender woman wears flats and slumps her shoulders to try and hide that she's so tall. Compare that to a slender tall woman who's proud of the way she looks, stands up straight and proud, and wears heels.

Or a balding man, who instead of doing a comb-over, shaves his head, juts his chin and says, "here I am, as I am".

I LOVE the floating screen. It flouts its identity to the world. :)

obviously it's subjective, but i'm curious why you prefer that style? to me it looks like some aftermarket hack where someone mounted an iPad or something.

Hard to say. One side of my family is very artistic; I kinda have the eye but not the ability. So I know when I like something and when I don't, but I find it hard to say why.

Thinking about it, I'd say that the screen tends to stick out anyway, so why not just "go with it".

Or we could just say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Edit: I just read Mycroft's post. What he said.

There has never been a screen that large embedded in a dash before and Tesla's attempts to integrate it have been not so successful. By turning it around and accentuating the screen, the Model X takes a negative and turns it into a positive.

It kind of like when a tall slender woman wears flats and slumps her shoulders to try and hide that she's so tall. Compare that to a slender tall woman who's proud of the way she looks, stands up straight and proud, and wears heels.

Or a balding man, who instead of doing a comb-over, shaves his head, juts his chin and says, "here I am, as I am".

+1 Mycroft

Ergonomically it's better to have the screen up closer to the steering wheel, especially if temperature controls are always at the bottom you don't have to reach down as far.

I think setting the screen free from the rest of the dashboard, frees the dashboard to be what it wants to be as well.

I agree.

Here's a pic from Charged_Up's gallery:

IMG4428-X3.jpg

If you look close, it looks like the screen is actually forcing the chrome trim at the top higher than it's already going. If they did the floating screen thing like the X, the dash could be more compact and the screen wouldn't seem so squished in

If you look close, it looks like the screen is actually forcing the chrome trim at the top higher than it's already going. If they did the floating screen thing like the X, the dash could be more compact and the screen wouldn't seem so squished in

Yes! The Model X dash looks better. The Model S dashboard is stretched (like the pig in the python) to try and swallow the screen and it looks distended.