Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ready to go hard on a P90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know about the 800 pounds of concrete, but have you seen my wife? Just kidding, I already called the showroom for a test drive of a coil model tomorrow.

Rick, I was originally convinced by the forums to go with coils, but then on a whim I changed to air literally 3 minutes before midnight when my order was due to "go hard".

I'm very glad I switched to air.

I was lucky enough to have had the chance to borrow a Model S with coils to drive for a week between when I sold my previous car and when I picked up my new Model S with air. For me, the borrowed Model S with coils, on certain stretches of freeway, would produce a rhythmic vibration that I found very uncomfortable. With my new Model S with air, the ride is much smoother on those same stretches, and I think I would have regretted sticking with coils.

I should add that I'm accustomed to pretty stiff AMG suspension, but there was something weird about how the S with coils handled rough asphalt, maybe due to the longer wheelbase. YMMV. When you do your test drive, definitely try to take it on the freeway, and if possible on routes that you normally drive.

Thank you for your perspective. I will do a test drive tomorrow with the coils but I am afraid that without the exact same car, tire and wheel and route, it will be difficult to know for sure what my preference would be.
I think you will like the car either way, but might second guess your choice for a while, it's human nature.

Me, I'd never do air or pano again. I want quiet. I've opened the pano 2 or 3 times, only to close it due to glare. The air, while handy for certain situations makes noise as it self adjusts (think air compressor, that's what it is). The auto height setting only kicks in under 35 to raise it for a GPS suspension change. So as I approach a dip that I have previously set to auto raise, it waits until I have slowed to start adjusting. This means that I am often on the dip before it starts adjusting, so sometimes it's worthless. I wish it would realize I am going 60mph towards the dip, so it will take 4 seconds to raise the suspension and just do it. Not wait until I have slowed for the dip.

Enjoy it, either way.

I'm surprised that anybody regrets pano. Perhaps it depends on your location. I ride a lot of my highway miles with the roof open. I love the open feeling.

I have 30% tint around the whole car so I think that's a factor. I can have the outdoor feeling while still maintaining privacy.

Well I am officially in! At least $2,500 in. Thanks to all for their input.

While the wait begins I have time to ponder increasing my solar array, order a passport 9500 to hardwire, front and maybe rear camera, tint, powder coat base wheels grey and install wall charger etc. Also I need to study up on removing the front bracket in under 10 minutes lol. Did I miss anything?

Reactions: e-FTW and rcsting
I'm surprised that anybody regrets pano. Perhaps it depends on your location. I ride a lot of my highway miles with the roof open. I love the open feeling.

I have 30% tint around the whole car so I think that's a factor. I can have the outdoor feeling while still maintaining privacy.

Me too but it's too much noise. I have a Lexus convertible which is quieter top down at 70 MPH than the Tesla is with the roof open...by like a lot. With both cars buttoned up, the Lexus is also far quieter at any speed above 35 MPH as the cabin wind noise takes over while Lexus remains tomb quiet. I did an SPL meter comparison on identical stretches of road in the teslamotors forum but their lack of search makes it impossible to find old posts, but the Lexus is something like 6 db quieter on concrete than the Tesla. On smooth black asphalt, the difference was something like 4 db(still more than twice as quiet as the Tesla).

Those T Sport 19's look good but they are not an available option. Can the stock 19's be coated or painted to look like the grey ones?

T Sportline have a grey option, but the colour is a bit lighter than the Tesla grey, slightly off IMO, so I went with their bright silver 20" turbines. I guess you could paint to match the grey and I had that as an option in mind for later too if I get bored with silver.

I have air and I like it. Maybe not so much if it breaks. I had a coil loaner last week and it felt like I was bouncing too much. I also like
that I can raise on my parent steep driveway.

Well I am officially in! At least $2,500 in. Thanks to all for their input.

While the wait begins I have time to ponder increasing my solar array, order a passport 9500 to hardwire, front and maybe rear camera, tint, powder coat base wheels grey and install wall charger etc. Also I need to study up on removing the front bracket in under 10 minutes lol. Did I miss anything?
20 Quickest Full-Size Sedans Motor Trend Has Tested - Motor Trend

Happened to step across this article from Motor Trend, further "proof" to validate your purchase. P90D Ludicrous beats any offering from BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Porsche, Masarati etc.

I have 24 hours before my deposit goes hard on the following refreshed P90D. I am excited but it seems like a lot of money for a car that is missing some typical luxury features. Should I go through with this configuration and if I do, are there any changes you think I should consider to the following order?

Midnight Silver Metallic
Grey Next Generation Seats
Pano
Air Suspension
Dark Ashwood
Black Alcantara Headliner
Ludicrous Speed Upgrade
Tesla Red Brake Calipers
Autopilot
Smart Air Suspension
Premium Interior Package,
Ultra High Fidelity Sound

Aftermarket considerations, remove front license plate bracket, hardwire radar detector, additional tinting on roof or aftermarket roof shade.

Anything changes, additions or deletions I should consider before the $2500 deposit is at risk?

I like the Midnight Silver and the Grey Next Gen seats.

Pano and Air... I think if you end up getting Pano, you'll also want to get that tinted. It really warms up the interior of the car quite a bit.

Air... I have mixed feelings about. I like that I can raise it, but part of me wonders if I wouldn't be better off with the traditional coil suspension. I worry about the air suspension breaking in the future.

Autopilot, I can't live without it -- I had a 30 mile trip in stop and go traffic from the airport, which took 2 hours -- autopiloted nearly the entire freeway route.

To me, I really think the Ludicrous Speed Upgrade is something that you might want to consider later. Since it's a P90D, it comes with the fuse pre-installed, so all that is necessary is a software unlock from Tesla, that you can do if you need more passing speed. That said, I love the increase in acceleration is very noticable, as I have a similarly configured P85D (and added Ludicrous about a year after driving with Insane).

I got the glossy obeche, which is nice, but I like the Dark Ashwood they offer on the new ones alot more.

I'd add the CF spoiler as long as you're getting the red brake calipers.

Reactions: AMPd
I like the Midnight Silver and the Grey Next Gen seats.

Pano and Air... I think if you end up getting Pano, you'll also want to get that tinted. It really warms up the interior of the car quite a bit.

Air... I have mixed feelings about. I like that I can raise it, but part of me wonders if I wouldn't be better off with the traditional coil suspension. I worry about the air suspension breaking in the future.

Autopilot, I can't live without it -- I had a 30 mile trip in stop and go traffic from the airport, which took 2 hours -- autopiloted nearly the entire freeway route.

To me, I really think the Ludicrous Speed Upgrade is something that you might want to consider later. Since it's a P90D, it comes with the fuse pre-installed, so all that is necessary is a software unlock from Tesla, that you can do if you need more passing speed. That said, I love the increase in acceleration is very noticable, as I have a similarly configured P85D (and added Ludicrous about a year after driving with Insane).

I got the glossy obeche, which is nice, but I like the Dark Ashwood they offer on the new ones alot more.

I'd add the CF spoiler as long as you're getting the red brake calipers.
+1 To the ludicrous speed upgrade
When I test drove a ludicrous p90d I definitely felt the extra power, I can see myself upgrading in a year or so. Once I get used to insane I'll be upgrading to ludicrous!

Yes me too. My in-laws have a steep driveway approach and thats what sold me on air.
Same here - I go several places, including a circular drive part of my driveway, where a standard suspension would probably scrape on the ground. This is probably the only justification for the air suspension (other than making trips with car fully loaded).

On the pano roof - I thought about it - but then I have had a moon roof or sun roof in my last 4 big cars, and used these about once a year at the most - so I don't think the pano roof is a good investment...

S

On the pano roof - I thought about it - but then I have had a moon roof or sun roof in my last 4 big cars, and used these about once a year at the most - so I don't think the pano roof is a good investment...

I am the same way. Hardly ever use them and when I do they are too noisy and\or there is too much UV coming in for my bald noggin. That said, I did still opt for it for resale and my thought that it is easier to block the sun roof when not desired compared to the alternative if I change my mind.