Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real World Model 3 UK Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you installed wifi booster or MESH wifi?
My home router is at the rear room and my car in front driveway doesn't pick it's signal
Any suggestions?
I’ve got mesh WiFi, and it works brilliantly. I’ve got three nodes and it gives me full coverage from the end of the front drive to the end of the back garden, including the garage. Mine is the Nova MW-3 kit, but that’s only suitable for internet speeds up to 100 Mb. Cost about £60.

My home router is at the rear room and my car in front driveway doesn't pick it's signal
Any suggestions?
I ended up just getting a wifi booster that I plug into the garage when there is a software update. We've also got Sky Q which is kind of like a Wifi Mesh and that does seem to get picked up but I have to park the car near to the house, as in around 5 metres aways.

Any suggestions?
Try changing the wifi channel. Initially I was on 1 and mostly miss than hit. Changed it to 5 and now mostly hit than miss. The best channel to chose is down to neighbouring wifi. I chose 5 at random, and stuck with it as its at worse, adequate..

If it aint broke, don't fix it etc. 1 didn't work well at all, can't be bother to sniff the other channels - these are not hard and fast rules - environmental factors play a big part. 5 seems to work plenty fast enough (maxes out at expected bandwidth), does all I need. I'll leave it thanks.

If it aint broke, don't fix it etc. 1 didn't work well at all, can't be bother to sniff the other channels - these are not hard and fast rules - environmental factors play a big part. 5 seems to work plenty fast enough (maxes out at expected bandwidth), does all I need. I'll leave it thanks.
Sticking to channels 1, 6, 11 is a hard and fast rule. Choosing channel 5 is objectively worse than 1, 6 or 11.

Last edited:
I’ve got mesh WiFi, and it works brilliantly. I’ve got three nodes and it gives me full coverage from the end of the front drive to the end of the back garden, including the garage. Mine is the Nova MW-3 kit, but that’s only suitable for internet speeds up to 100 Mb. Cost about £60.

Thanks.

Ordered a TP Link Deco M4 Mesh wifi (3 piece) from Amazon yesterday , which arrived this morning and the installation was a breeze through the phone app.
My car picks strong signal now.
Good signal at the outside wall corner , where I'm planning to install the smart charger.
My installer came with the wrong kit today and I'm still trickle charging through my domestic 13 amp!!!

Reactions: Roy W.
Try changing the wifi channel. Initially I was on 1 and mostly miss than hit. Changed it to 5 and now mostly hit than miss. The best channel to chose is down to neighbouring wifi. I chose 5 at random, and stuck with it as its at worse, adequate..
By using 5 you are getting worse performance than you would with 6 or 11, *and* you are making things significantly worse for your neighbours on channels 1 and 6 (because you are overlapping them).

Exactly. If 1, 6, 11 were the ideal channels in all situations then why would we need any of the others?
You really do need to read about it. Channels 1, 6 and 11 are the only channels that don’t overlap each other. Communication within a channel is cooperative, so everyone on the channel cooperates with everyone else and gets a fair share. Communication on overlapping channels is not cooperative, so performance plummets as everyone constantly clashes and everyone has to back off. The difference between being polite and taking turns, and a free for all.

How to Boost Your Wi-Fi Speed by Choosing the Right Channel - ExtremeTech

You really do need to read about it.

That's a wee bit cheeky since, strangely enough, I have read about it! Additionally I have many years of setting up Wifi in different scenarios where the "ideal" hasn't worked as well as using an alternative setup (in channel choices). Unfortunately we can't control the environment very much and we certainly can't control the channels others are using or their hardware or whether their channels are fixed or auto or whatever else. I accept your recommendation as a starting point. I'm just saying that there will be situations when some variation may work more successfully in practice.

That's a wee bit cheeky since, strangely enough, I have read about it! Additionally I have many years of setting up Wifi in different scenarios where the "ideal" hasn't worked as well as using an alternative setup (in channel choices). Unfortunately we can't control the environment very much and we certainly can't control the channels others are using or their hardware or whether their channels are fixed or auto or whatever else. I accept your recommendation as a starting point. I'm just saying that there will be situations when some variation may work more successfully in practice.
No intention to cause offence! The facts however are pretty straightforward: if you're using any channel apart from 1, 6, or 11 then you are a big part of the problem. I'm not making this stuff up, this is just how the standard was created, NO IDEA why!? Things would be much simpler (and better) if they had just established three non-overlapping channels.

I live in London, and I have never been in a situation where one of those 3 channels was insufficient. If you have a neighbour with a rubbish router that is on a different channel, then there's little you can do about it, but choosing to go on an overlapping channel yourself only makes the problem worse.

In reality you *really* should be using 5GHz Wifi (which the Tesla supports), so this is an academic discussion. But... as long as there is someone wrong on the Internet, I'm here to do my duty:

Duty Calls

The facts however are pretty straightforward: if you're using any channel apart from 1, 6, or 11 then you are a big part of the problem.

Speaking for myself I'm not part of anybody's problem ... my Wifi works well and any neighbours with Wifi are (literally) miles away! Anyway, my own comment was in support of VanillaAir who was successfully using channel 5. In my own situation I use a number of APs, and also run a cabled ethernet connection to an AP in a holiday cottage next door. We've had issues over recent years with getting a decent Internet connection to the router due initially to poor phone line service, then high latency 2 way satellite but the distribution of our Internet via Wifi has never been much of a problem. We now have 4G service in the area so a passive antenna and suitable 4G router is all that's needed to get decent internet.

Before we moved out here we had fibre direct to the house so I know what a fast connection is like! I'd love some of that low latency snap, let alone the raw speed! Even over wifi in our previous house the downloads came in at more than 200Mbs and that was 5 years ago!

Anyway ... none of this really matches the thread title!

Reactions: MrBadger
This is a good product for old stone houses (one in each room):
UniFi AC In-Wall AP

If you are putting one in each room then anything is liable to be perfectly adequate since it then doesn't need to penetrate walls. You can repurpose virtually any old router by turning off its DHCP routing functions and you end up with an access point and (depending on the old router) and a built in 4 point switch! If you've moved providers over the years it's not uncommon for people to have some old routers lying around! I do question paying for Gigabit ethernet capability if you are merely distributing (in our case) approximately 50Mbs from the router!