Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real World Range for MYLR - winter vs summer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have searched, and found many posts with the keyword "trange", but nothing that actually answers my question.

What kind of range do people really see in day to day driving with the LR? I am sure it's below the estimates 330 miles.
Any input is much appreciated.

I have searched, and found many posts with the keyword "trange", but nothing that actually answers my question.

What kind of range do people really see in day to day driving with the LR? I am sure it's below the estimates 330 miles.
When picking an EV, I like to suggest taking the rated rated and dividing it by 2. If that range still works for your day to day, you’ll be good.

To answer your question:
I can hit 300km on the highway in the winter and around 400km in the summer.

Reactions: flixden

For day to day driving EV range is not an issue as most Tesla owners (other EV vehicle owners) tend to plug in and charge their EV in the evening or overnight (else during the day when at work). Most driver's in the US drive ~30 miles per day. You can even skip charging for several days and not have any range concerns.

For road trips in a Tesla vehicle range is not an issue as the Tesla Supercharger Network now has 5,000 global Supercharger stations and 50,000 charging connections. In North America the number of Tesla Supercharger stations (locations) stood at just under 2,000 as of April 2023. DC Fastcharge networks such as Electrify America do not have as many charging stations, yet, but continue to add more charging locations. You can charge a Tesla vehicle at a DC Fastcharge station with the Tesla CCS Combo 1 charging adaper (available for $175 from Tesla.)

In a conventional vehicle you fill the tank, hit the road and only stop when needing food, a restroom break or gas. When taking road trips in a Tesla vehicle you soon realize that there is a Tesla Supercharger strategically located almost every 100 miles or so on most interstate highways in the lower 48 US states. Hawaii just got its first public Supercharger last year, Alaska too. In a Tesla vehicle you would drive for 2 to 2.5 hours and take a short break while charging at a Supercharger station. Most Supercharger sessions are less than 25 minutes as the Tesla vehicle will automatically optimize your vehicle's battery for the next charging session by preconditioning (warming) the battery pack as you get within 30 minutes drive time of the next Supercharger location along a route that you are following using the Tesla Navigation system.

A great way to become familiar with EV road trip planning and charging is to use A Better Route Planner (ABRP.) ABRP is available for your phone and on the web. You can plan a hypothetical trip and ABRP will provide recommended charging stops, duration and estimated cost for the charging session and for the trip.

As far as actual range assuming you start with the battery charged to 100% and drive until you have to stop to charge the answer is always it depends on your driving style (mostly your speed), the wind, elevation changes and road conditions (wet roads and rain or snow decrease your range.) Under optimal conditions where you drive ~70 MPH you would probably be able to travel somewhere between 280 and 290 miles before you absolutely needed to plug in and charge. This assumes a new battery pack (the capacity of the battery in kWh (79 kWh or 80 kWh when new) gradually decreases over the months and years.) If you prefer to drive at higher speeds, i.e. above 70 MPH you will need to stop more frequently to charge at a Supercharger or other charging station. Even with high speed and bad conditions it would rare to not be able to travel 180 to 200 miles between charging sessions (in most parts of the lower 48 US states this is well within the range of most Supercharger stations.)

Last edited:
Thanks a lot, Alex!
That would mean roughly 280mi / 220mi (winter / summer), that's more than what I had expected! Good news ....
Keep in mind that’s 100% to 0% so not realistically achievable in practice.

If road tripping you can figure about 70% of those numbers if going from 80% to 10%. Shouldn’t be of much concern though because that should be more than enough to reach the next supercharger even in the winter time along most major highways.

If you’re figuring out how long you can go between charges for daily use (eg you don’t have charging at work or home and have to rely on public charging) then it will be even less since you have to account for vampire drain, sentry mode usage, general cabin and battery heating and cooling after sitting for long periods, etc. Probably will need to fast charge 2x a week with an average commute and typical errands and leisure use.

Thanks a lot, Alex!
That would mean roughly 280mi / 220mi (winter / summer), that's more than what I had expected! Good news ....
Whether its good news or not, or accurate for you or not, depends on what the root cause for the question is. if you are thinking"
=========================
"I dont have home charging, but they are telling me I will get 280 miles in summer and 220 in winter, and I only drive 25 miles a day round trip, so I will only need to charge at a supercharger every 8-9 days during the summer and I will have some left over."
========================

Then no, those figures are not close to being accurate for that situation at all.

If the root cause of your question is something like:
========================
"I have home charging, but I take a trip a few times a year to my (insert relative here) house. Its 200 miles away and I am wondering if I will be able to make it without charging.
=======================

Thats something completely, utterly different (and more closely fits the profile of the range you were given, provided you are not trying to make it going 75+ MPH without stopping.

If you are looking at those numbers above, as numbers you can drive before you have to charge, and you dont have home charging, it isnt going to work like that.

I had mine for 14 months living in Ontario so I had my share of winter driving.

It all depends on (ordered roughly by the magnitude of range impact):

- Your driving speed
- Temperature at the time of drive
- Wind strength and direction
- Tire pressure

I have to drive once a week, a 380km drive (in Canada, Tesla's official range is 530km), and during the summer I can do this easily without supercharging, but during the winter, it's more tricky, although I do have about 5 supercharging stations to choose from along the route. Often, we arrive home with less than 7% remaining during winter. Also, I lost about 3% range due to the age of battery.

Once in a while, we take an alternative route that limits our drive to around 90km/h instead of the usual 125km/h, and that saves quite a bit of charge if we feel we can make it without supercharging.