Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real World Range for MYLR - winter vs summer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If anyone is thinking they can get in ANY brand of EV, charged to 100%, and regularly match the EPA rating for the vehicle, they're going to be sorely disappointed.

If anyone needs 300 miles of range, day after day, w/o any additional charge, they should by an ICE vehicle. Period.
Yup. This will be my very first EV and very excited to own a Tesla. I read that whatever manufacturers put on paper is totally bogus. Tesla website says model Y provides 330 miles EPA. i just wanted to get your guys inputs since you guys have been Tesla owners for a long time and have alot of experience. I understand that every driver drives differently, environmental factors, downhill, uphill, tire pressure, city, freeway, etc and that its impossible to put a mileage number on a battery %. I just want to know what to expect knowing that i will never get 330 miles. I just hope i wont get 50 miles at 80% =) Maybe at least 150 would be ok for me. Thanks guys.

Why is this important? It's irrelevant info on either car. Shouldn't you be asking what the range at 70 mph is or the range in town...things that actually matter?

Instead you are set on knowing what the estimated range displays, which you've already admitted doesn't matter.
Understood, i apologize as ive never owned an EV before and please help me understand as you have more knowledge than me. So for example if i wanted to take a trip from point A (vacation spot) to Point B (home with charger) which is about 200 miles. I am currently am at 80% and the vehicle will tell me i will have an "estimated" 210 miles of range. So i think in this scenario the mileage number that the Tesla provides is somewhat relevant in a way. Now the Car could either make it to point B or not make it to point B based on all the different driving/environmental factors that the Tesla doesnt even know about yet. So the driver will have to make a decision whether to charge in between to be safe, or totally trust the car and believe that the car will make it home. So i think the estimate that the car provides is somewhat relevant and provides the driver with some sort of number to rely on. Please correct me if im wrong as i need to prepare for trips like this once i have my Tesla. Thank you

MYK-MY: 46k miles, mostly highway, Fort Worth to Tampa, Washington, DC, Aspen, Co...multiple times. The MY computer says my lifetime average is 297Wh/mile. Range anxiety is a myth, once you start trusting the placement of Superchargers, and plan your route accordingly. (Yes, it's a challenge in some regions, off the Interstate grid.)

Range is totally irrelevant, on a road trip, since stopping every 130-180 miles (supercharger distances) is better for my back, bladder, focus, concentration. A 15 minute power nap is exceptionally beneficial. It's safer than thinking you're alert after 180-200 miles, as dozens of tests prove that most people are not.

YMMV, of course, but...uhh...not by much!!!

Understood, i apologize as ive never owned an EV before and please help me understand as you have more knowledge than me. So for example if i wanted to take a trip from point A (vacation spot) to Point B (home with charger) which is about 200 miles. I am currently am at 80% and the vehicle will tell me i will have an "estimated" 210 miles of range. So i think in this scenario the mileage number that the Tesla provides is somewhat relevant in a way. Now the Car could either make it to point B or not make it to point B based on all the different driving/environmental factors that the Tesla doesnt even know about yet. So the driver will have to make a decision whether to charge in between to be safe, or totally trust the car and believe that the car will make it home. So i think the estimate that the car provides is somewhat relevant and provides the driver with some sort of number to rely on. Please correct me if im wrong as i need to prepare for trips like this once i have my Tesla. Thank you
1. The car is smart, use it. I don't plan trips out anymore. I charge my car the night before and input my destination...the car will let you know when it's time to charge.
1a. If you want more control, you can pre-plan your trip with A better route planner, even connects directly to your car and sees your state of charge.

2. At 80mph the MY will get between 130-190 miles on a typical 90-10/14%, whatever the car decides is best in relation to chargers, but if you are that concerned, you can cap your speed at 60-70.

3. Again, the car is smart...I don't worry about this stuff. I use % instead of miles, because the miles are irrelevant to the real world. My car when I pull it off the charger says 304 miles (regardless of weather conditions)....as I said before there's a scenario where I could get 200 or if I'm going through towns at 30 mph, I could get 350 miles. The % is much like a gas tank, but I put in destinations for where ever I'm going, even to a known place down the road, because A. the car can condition and calculate properly and B...I use FSD maybe 98% of the time.

For trips like the one in your example you would charge to 90% to 95% before leaving to add an extra margin of range. In summer no issue with 200 to 210 miles. In winter you might have to stop once for a short Supercharger charging session. Once you have made a trip several time you will have a sense of what happens if it rains or if there is a strong headwind. Driving faster than 70 to 75 MPH is where most range estimates are negatively impacted. You can count on almost 10% additional efficiency and range for every 5 MPH slower you drive (i.e. 70 instead of 75 or 65 instead of 70 MPH.)

Awesome! Thanks guys for the inputs. My understanding of how the Tesla Battery % and Range is now clearer. Basically mostly rely on Battery % over Estimated range, Travel Tip: stop to charge every 130-180 miles to be safe/take a break, Car is smart: let the Car alert you when to charge and where to charge.

Another question i have is i am reading that he 2023 Model Y Long Range has a rough ride and hearing clanks/noises in the exterior and interior when hitting bumps in the road. I also read that Tesla updated the Model Y with Comfort suspensions. For those that own a 2023 Model Y Long Range, what are your experiences with the overall ride/driving experience?

Another question i have is i am reading that he 2023 Model Y Long Range has a rough ride and hearing clanks/noises in the exterior and interior when hitting bumps in the road. I also read that Tesla updated the Model Y with Comfort suspensions. For those that own a 2023 Model Y Long Range, what are your experiences with the overall ride/driving experience?
HAHAHA! You'll need to read the zillion threads on this subject, and try to find the answer to your question. Good luck with that!!!

Thank you for answering. Ok so on the model y long range, you can get 186 miles with 95% charge during winter. I do understand that everyday the mile/range could change due to alot of factors. i have a friend who has an EV6 and his range in the winter time is around 180 to 210 at 80%. I pretty much just wanted to get a general idea of the model y's real world estimated range from a tesla owner before purchasing.
That was the only time I did that and it’s pretty specific case. It was around 0C (32F) and I was trying to outrun a snowstorm from Toronto to Pittsburg on my way down south. Made it to Erie, PA just fine and charged and kept going.

What are you concerned about with respect to range? I ask because it’s not cumulative. You can’t take a random number and divide it into multiple drives. You’ll use a lot of power heating the car up each time.

General rule of thumb I use. Take whatever range number that’s posted and cut it in half. If you can live with that number day to day, then you’re good to go. This is concerning places that get decently cold.

Roadtrips are a compromise like most things in life.

Start at 100% drive for 3 hours, stop for 10-15 mins. Drive for 1.5-2 hours. Stop longer for lunch. Rinse and repeat. You can go pretty far in a day before you actually find yourself waiting for a charger to finish.

I realize that you just joined here today, so this is not ment as aggressive as its likely going to sound, but there is almost no topic about these cars that is not discussed, in depth already, here on this website.

On the topic of "model Y suspension", there are quite a bit of threads where you can read peoples opinions (that they want to post about) till you get tired of reading them, like these:

There are probably a few dozen more. If you have questions about how people feel about the suspension after reading those, you can join into one of those discussions in those threads, or search for "suspension" in the model Y subforum and choose another one if these dont meet your desires

Reactions: jbarnum
Just to add one more data point, I drive 380km weekly, all year long, starting with 100%.

If I drive 140km/h on -15C, no chance that I'll get back home with 0%.
If I drive 110km/h on +24C, I get home easily with lots of % to spare.
If I drive 90km/h on -10C, I think I can do 380km without running out.
If I drive 110km/h on 0C, I'm pretty sure I can do 380km easily.
If I drive 125km/h on 25C, I do get back home, but around 10-15% battery left.

As you can see, it all depends.... 😁

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin