Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real World Range on 4680 Battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
strange

1677611290395.png

In scanning through the Order Spreadsheet, looks, like a lot of folks are taking delivery of 'Standard Range' MY's this month. Doesn't look like many have been delivered recently. Perhaps some of those folks will post once they have their cars.

In scanning through the Order Spreadsheet, looks, like a lot of folks are taking delivery of 'Standard Range' MY's this month. Doesn't look like many have been delivered recently. Perhaps some of those folks will post once they have their cars.
My ODD was 2/3 and I'm still stuck on DELIVERY TBA. Almost everyone else is in the same boat. Perhaps Elon will have a surprise for the Y-AWD vehicles (HW4?) and thus have been holding them in inventory for shipping after the announcement. We'll see in a few hours.

I'm going to chime in here, because I am consistently seeing threads where people are mistakenly calling the Austin build vehicle, with 4680 cells, the MY Standard Range. Tesla only makes a MY Standard Range in China with a single motor and 244 miles of range, (does not currently sell them in the US). The Austin build vehicles with the 4680 batteries are dual motor vehicles and Tesla calls them the MY AWD (All Wheel Drive) to differentiate them from the MY Performance and MY Long Range.

Tesla has not provided specs on the 4680 battery pack, but most believe it only has about 70kWh of capacity versus the 81kWh in the MYP and MYLR. This estimate is based on how much energy is used to fully charge the battery pack.

I'm going to chime in here, because I am consistently seeing threads where people are mistakenly calling the Austin build vehicle, with 4680 cells, the MY Standard Range. Tesla only makes a MY Standard Range in China with a single motor and 244 miles of range, (does not currently sell them in the US). The Austin build vehicles with the 4680 batteries are dual motor vehicles and Tesla calls them the MY AWD (All Wheel Drive) to differentiate them from the MY Performance and MY Long Range.

Tesla has not provided specs on the 4680 battery pack, but most believe it only has about 70kWh of capacity versus the 81kWh in the MYP and MYLR. This estimate is based on how much energy is used to fully charge the battery pack.
I gave up trying to correct people.
The interesting thing is that Tesla isn't calling the "SR" MY from China "Standard Range". I checked some of the other markets like Australia and it just calls that model "Model Y". So confusing as always with Tesla changing the names.

Reactions: JCLJorgenson
I cannot find real world range information or personal experience reviews with the Model Y standard range. Anyone have any info they can pass along?

I tried looking for the same information and still cannot locate it. Should be a simple answer considering Tesla has been selling this model to customers since June of last year.. and Im currently seeing over 300 in-stock inventory MYAWD with the 4680 pack.

Simple question. If anybody owns this vehicle and has charged their 4680 up to 100% and driven as far as possible before charging.. how many miles did you actually drive?

My 2021 MYSR (the real Standand Range Y) is rated for 244 by the EPA.. but I can manage about 200 miles of driving off a full charge. This is all highway about 65mph. What about the new 2022 or 2023 MYAWD?

I only used 'Standard Range' (and I did put it in quotes) as that is the terminology available in the tracking spreadsheet, so if anyone wants to look it up there, that's what you have to look for. I am well aware of the correct terminology which is, frankly, confusing on Tesla's part.

Simple question. If anybody owns this vehicle and has charged their 4680 up to 100% and driven as far as possible before charging.. how many miles did you actually drive?

There is no answer because there is no "simple" answer. No matter which version of MY, most owners do not charge to 100% and drive until 0%. I have mine for 2 years and charge to 100% once and drive to 3% once but at different times. Additionally, there are so many factors that can affect range. For example, I just changed my tires (Goodyear ElectricDrive GT) and my efficiency drops more than 15% from my normal commute.

Surely you can do basic math.

If you charge up to 90%. Then drive to 40%. Take the number of miles you drove and double it.

Nobody cares about exact efficiency.. or what tires you have on the car.. or if rained for 7 minutes while you going up a 4-degree slope at exactly 61mph with a 3mph tailwind. The idea is to just get an incredibly simple idea of what type of range people are getting in the real world with the MYAWD... because the EPA 279-mile estimate is essentially worthless IMO. Nobody who drives a Tesla achieves their actual EPA estimated range in the real world.

Last edited:
Like most things Tesla, the 4680 battery was mostly hype without much substance to follow.
Much agreed. So far it has been an incredible disappointment.

What was advertised as 6X the power.. 5X the energy.. and 16% more range.. has turned out to be what is probably the worst value in Teslas EV portfolio. Unless you are absolutely desperate for a brand new Model Y right now.. nobody wants to give up 50 miles of range to save $3,000 on a $55K vehicle. Let's do some of that simple math I asked for in my previous post above: For 7% more money.. the 2170 battery pack in the Long Range delivers 18% more range.

And for the "superfans" that will inevitably downvote this post.. remember this:

less-than-p-greater-than-during-teslas-battery-day-2020-drew-baglino-svp-powertrain-and-energy-engineering-and-elon-musk-ceo-introduced-the-4680-battery-less-than-p-greater-than.jpg

Much agreed. So far it has been an incredible disappointment.

What was advertised as 6X the power.. 5X the energy.. and 16% more range.. has turned out to be what is probably the worst value in Teslas EV portfolio. Unless you are absolutely desperate for a brand new Model Y right now.. nobody wants to give up 50 miles of range to save $3,000 on a $55K vehicle. Let's do some of that simple math I asked for in my previous post above: For 7% more money.. the 2170 battery pack in the Long Range delivers 18% more range.

And for the "superfans" that will inevitably downvote this post.. remember this:

less-than-p-greater-than-during-teslas-battery-day-2020-drew-baglino-svp-powertrain-and-energy-engineering-and-elon-musk-ceo-introduced-the-4680-battery-less-than-p-greater-than.jpg
Agreed I don't know why anyone would buy one of these for such a small price difference. Think back to 2018 when a 100D Model S cost you 20k more than a 75D Model S!

I took delivery of a MY AWD "Standard Range" on Tuesday. I've been driving really hard with frequent full acceleration. So far, I have gone 140 miles with about 90% of the battery. Picked it up at about 85%, recharged yesterday at 27% up to about 73%, and am currently at 45%. In SoFL so no cold, but cabin conditioning at 100 degrees.

If I could have gotten a LR or Performance in the timeframe needed, I 100% would have...

Picked up a MY AWD "Standard Range" on Tuesday and have been driving very hard with frequent full acceleration. So far I've gone about 140 miles using 90% of the pack. Picked up at 85%, recharged yesterday at 27% up to 73%, and am currently at 45%. Live in SoFla so no cold, but cabin conditioning to 100 degrees.

And I agree...If I could have gotten a new LR or Performance right now instead, I would have...

Picked up a MY AWD "Standard Range" on Tuesday and have been driving very hard with frequent full acceleration. So far I've gone about 140 miles using 90% of the pack. Picked up at 85%, recharged yesterday at 27% up to 73%, and am currently at 45%. Live in SoFla so no cold, but cabin conditioning to 100 degrees.

And I agree...If I could have gotten a new LR or Performance right now instead, I would have...

Thanks for replying with some *real* world results. You will certainly get better than 140 miles of range.. off 90% charge. Half of the fun of owning a Tesla is mashing the pedal and feeling the torque bury you into the seat. As you get used to driving the car.. using more regen braking to slow down or come to a stop.. or just start to drive normally (no more flooring it lol) your efficiency will get a lot better.

My guess is the MYAWD is good for anywhere between 200-250 miles of "real world" driving depending on circumstances. And I use this estimate because most Teslas gets about 70-90% of their estimated EPA range when driven in "real world" circumstances. Expect to get 70% efficiency in the worst conditions (freezing temperatures, heat turn up and bad/wet weather). Expect to get about 90% efficiency in the best conditions (70 degree ambient temps, flat roads, climate control turned off).

As I pointed out above you will never hit 100%. I drive like grandma.. and have tracked my car with TeslaFi & Teslamate since the first day of ownership. After 37K miles of driving in the past two years.. my wh/mi avg is 253 which is actually better than what most Model Y owners get. 253 wh/mi is about 22% worst than the EPA rating 205 wh/mi for my Model Y. I do admit to lots of highway driving.. as most of my driving is between 65-75mph. But even in much slower stop & go traffic around the city I still average about 225 wh/mi which is about 10% worst than the EPA's 205 wh/mi estimate.

Last edited:
Reactions: advocate8