Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear-ended with happy ending

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Life can be stranger than fiction - we always heard this, but it does not happen to us personally. Or so I thought until a couple of days ago.

I was driving to the local YMCA (where I swim everyday) on my way to school. As I took the off-ramp from the freeway, I had to take manual control of the car (no auto-pilot beyond freeway, or at least yet) and stop at the signal to take a left turn. I was in a great mood with the semester coming to a great finish, my upcoming trip to my hometown in India (yay!), and christmas already in the air (literally, an FM station is already playing Santa songs). I was plotting and planning all the to-dos of the day.

The light turned green and I was rudely interrupted deep in my happy thoughts as the car behind me, a red van, bumped into my car. It was not a big jolt, but I knew there are sensitive electronics in the rear bumper, so I better stop and get all the insurance info from the guilty party. I looked at the rear view mirror, waived at the lady driving the van, completed the turn slowly (so as not to block traffic), and stopped at the shoulder. The lady pretended to park her car in front of me and just took off. I was stunned.

Very unhappy, I came out to inspect the damage. A passerby (whose name I found out later is Tony) stopped by and said, "why didn't you chase her? You have the model 3 man!". If I knew she would run, all I had to do is to turn on my rear view camera and take a picture of her license plate (a screen capture feature is in my bucket list for Elon). Then Tony mentioned, you car must have recorded the front view. And sure enough, after the latest software update, it did. I looked at the recording and it showed the van driving away; I could only decipher the last 5 numerals of the van's license plate (because of the angle and frame rate). I started debating whether to call 911. Then, I thought, I am not injured, I have a class to teach, and my own insurance will cover this. But Tony suggested I go to the police station which is just a block away.

As I got into the car, I was thinking, yes, I should go there. If she gets scot-free, she will get emboldened and may cause bigger harm. The police officer I met was very sympathetic, but because I was on a freeway off-ramp, he said this has to be handled by CHP (Cal Highway Patrol) officers. He gave me the address of where to go.

The CHP desk-person (an elderly gentleaman) was very skeptical that the video is of much help. All he wanted was the license plate number. But after I filed my report, a young officer came and he was excited about the video. He thought he could possibly locate the car through some data bases. He also asked why I did not call 911. When I explained, he said it does not have to be a life threatening incidence, after any crime we are supposed to call 911 (in all my 35 years in US, this is the first time I was a victim of a crime - I don't know why people think US is not a great place, but that is a different story).

The young officer then proceeded to inspect my car for the damage. And guess what he found? Stuck in my rear bumper was the license plate of the van (photo attached). I was so unnerved, I was too dumb to figure that out. The officer said, in all these years, he never saw such a direct evidence of a crime and started calling everyone else to see this. He asked me if I would be willing to testify as a case will be filed against her by the state.

Today, I got calls from her insurance company (and mine), telling me they are ready to put my car back into the original shape no matter how much it costs. Her insurance company took all responsibilities and just wanted to make sure I am not having any health issue (to which I said - not at all, all I want is my bumper fixed). I will have a loaner car for the time they take to fix my car.

I wasted a lot of time (and still will waste) on an unproductive issue, but I learned a few lessons that I wanted to share. 1. Callig 911 after any crime is okay (from the cop's mouth); 2. After an accident, we should be getting the camera out (if possible) and take as many pictures; 3. No wonder, Model 3 is called one of the safest car. The van drilled holes in my rear bumper and it caved in like butter. I just felt a very minor jolt (I live in California, even my house shakes harder than that).

Attachments

• IMG_20181114_111345.jpg
    IMG_20181114_111345.jpg
    448.9 KB · Views: 344
One night about 10 or 12 years ago I was up late on a weekend working on installing my first Roku. I'm sitting messing with the settings around 2:00 AM (about the time the bar about a block away closes) and I hear this weird sound like a really strong gust of wind whipping through brush. At first I think nothing of it then it occurs to me it's a calm summer night. So, curiosity gets the better of me and I go outside to see about the weather. I look down the street and lo and behold my neighbors mailbox and the entire hedgerow (about 40 ft. worth) behind it has been "trimmed" to about two feet high. There is brush all over the road for a hundred feet or so. So, I go down there (it's only 70 feet maybe) and what do I find in the middle of the road? You guessed it, a license plate! Shorn off a high and apparently powerful vehicle. I try to wake the neighbor that now missing the front of his yard to no avail. Then I called the police to report a hit and run that had just occurred. The police car shows up a few minutes later (I'm waiting for him) and I go up to the passenger side window, knock, and say, "Here this should help. I found it in the middle of the road." as I hand him the license plate. He smiles and says, "Well, that couldn't make it any easier." I smile, say, "Good night" and head off to bed. Next day I'm talking to my neighbor and he doesn't even know who called in the crime! I tell him it was me and he says, "Well they caught them at home and everything is going to be paid by his insurance. He was driving a big pickup."

Reactions: Sooby@sdsu
I still think the Tesla needs a "run away" function in the software. It has emergency braking, it should have emergency acceleration. If it detects a car coming up from behind too fast to stop it should jump forward if there is nothing in front of it.

Life can be stranger than fiction - we always heard this, but it does not happen to us personally. Or so I thought until a couple of days ago.

I was driving to the local YMCA (where I swim everyday) on my way to school. As I took the off-ramp from the freeway, I had to take manual control of the car (no auto-pilot beyond freeway, or at least yet) and stop at the signal to take a left turn. I was in a great mood with the semester coming to a great finish, my upcoming trip to my hometown in India (yay!), and christmas already in the air (literally, an FM station is already playing Santa songs). I was plotting and planning all the to-dos of the day.

The light turned green and I was rudely interrupted deep in my happy thoughts as the car behind me, a red van, bumped into my car. It was not a big jolt, but I knew there are sensitive electronics in the rear bumper, so I better stop and get all the insurance info from the guilty party. I looked at the rear view mirror, waived at the lady driving the van, completed the turn slowly (so as not to block traffic), and stopped at the shoulder. The lady pretended to park her car in front of me and just took off. I was stunned.

Very unhappy, I came out to inspect the damage. A passerby (whose name I found out later is Tony) stopped by and said, "why didn't you chase her? You have the model 3 man!". If I knew she would run, all I had to do is to turn on my rear view camera and take a picture of her license plate (a screen capture feature is in my bucket list for Elon). Then Tony mentioned, you car must have recorded the front view. And sure enough, after the latest software update, it did. I looked at the recording and it showed the van driving away; I could only decipher the last 5 numerals of the van's license plate (because of the angle and frame rate). I started debating whether to call 911. Then, I thought, I am not injured, I have a class to teach, and my own insurance will cover this. But Tony suggested I go to the police station which is just a block away.

As I got into the car, I was thinking, yes, I should go there. If she gets scot-free, she will get emboldened and may cause bigger harm. The police officer I met was very sympathetic, but because I was on a freeway off-ramp, he said this has to be handled by CHP (Cal Highway Patrol) officers. He gave me the address of where to go.

The CHP desk-person (an elderly gentleaman) was very skeptical that the video is of much help. All he wanted was the license plate number. But after I filed my report, a young officer came and he was excited about the video. He thought he could possibly locate the car through some data bases. He also asked why I did not call 911. When I explained, he said it does not have to be a life threatening incidence, after any crime we are supposed to call 911 (in all my 35 years in US, this is the first time I was a victim of a crime - I don't know why people think US is not a great place, but that is a different story).

The young officer then proceeded to inspect my car for the damage. And guess what he found? Stuck in my rear bumper was the license plate of the van (photo attached). I was so unnerved, I was too dumb to figure that out. The officer said, in all these years, he never saw such a direct evidence of a crime and started calling everyone else to see this. He asked me if I would be willing to testify as a case will be filed against her by the state.

Today, I got calls from her insurance company (and mine), telling me they are ready to put my car back into the original shape no matter how much it costs. Her insurance company took all responsibilities and just wanted to make sure I am not having any health issue (to which I said - not at all, all I want is my bumper fixed). I will have a loaner car for the time they take to fix my car.

I wasted a lot of time (and still will waste) on an unproductive issue, but I learned a few lessons that I wanted to share. 1. Callig 911 after any crime is okay (from the cop's mouth); 2. After an accident, we should be getting the camera out (if possible) and take as many pictures; 3. No wonder, Model 3 is called one of the safest car. The van drilled holes in my rear bumper and it caved in like butter. I just felt a very minor jolt (I live in California, even my house shakes harder than that).
Fabulous story, and great attitude! :)

Stuck in my rear bumper was the license plate of the van (photo attached).
That is an amazing story. I am puzzling over how the license plate “stuck” to your rear bumper so that when you moved forward after being hit the screws holding the red van’s front plate pulled out of its bumper. I realize that the screws are only in a relatively thin piece of plastic, but I would not have imagined that the Model 3 bumper could deform sufficiently to capture the license plate frame.

My speculation is that the low speed of impact was such that your car hardly moved (you say it was not a “big jolt” but your rear bumper deformed enough to grab onto the perimeter of the license plate frame such that the two screws ripped out of the van’s bumper when you move forward.

1) You are lucky that is your first crime and lucky if not your last
2) Dash cams are a necessity these days
3) 911 is a must on a hit and run, people that do that usually have no insurance, no license and other possible criminal issues- seen it many times before
4) I won't ask how you did not see the plate:), always inspect damage and ASAP, you never want this on your insurance with no evidence of another party
5) Four again, Inspect right away always, call 911, read them the plate on your bumper if you are so lucky to have one stuck on there.
6) Let us know if they are caught

I still think the Tesla needs a "run away" function in the software. It has emergency braking, it should have emergency acceleration. If it detects a car coming up from behind too fast to stop it should jump forward if there is nothing in front of it.

Nice idea, but let's suppose yours is the car at the front, stopped at a red light pointing into an intersection, and someone comes up quickly behind you. It activates emergency autonomous acceleration because there's no one in front of you at that instant, and then your car stops in the intersection where it is hit by several cars. Meanwhile, the inattentive driver behind you has stopped safely and is busy uploading his dashcam footage to facebook or reddit.com/r/idiotsincars of the doofus 3 driver who accelerated into the intersection.

I don't think the rear camera has the range, but having an alarm of impending doom from that direction >might< be useful. I just use my rearview mirror.

Nice idea, but let's suppose yours is the car at the front, stopped at a red light pointing into an intersection, and someone comes up quickly behind you. It activates emergency autonomous acceleration because there's no one in front of you at that instant, and then your car stops in the intersection where it is hit by several cars. Meanwhile, the inattentive driver behind you has stopped safely and is busy uploading his dashcam footage to facebook or reddit.com/r/idiotsincars of the doofus 3 driver who accelerated into the intersection.

I don't think the rear camera has the range, but having an alarm of impending doom from that direction >might< be useful. I just use my rearview mirror.
Oh, yeah...well maybe as part of FSD then... :)