Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear glass cracked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How long is everyone waiting on replacement rear glass? I was initially told "several weeks" by a support rep in Utah, and now it's "No ETA" according to my local SC (Bellevue, WA). My car was built on 12/31/2018 and I discovered the crack on mine at the beginning of this month. I've never used the glass defroster either.

Wonderful. :mad:

How long is everyone waiting on replacement rear glass? I was initially told "several weeks" by a support rep in Utah, and now it's "No ETA" according to my local SC (Bellevue, WA). My car was built on 12/31/2018 and I discovered the crack on mine at the beginning of this month. I've never used the glass defroster either.

Wonderful. :mad:

Mine said they had the glass in stock already.

My crack in rear window is to be fixed tomorrow.

Anyone know how they get these windows out? Do I really want to know ?

Anyone get repeat crack? Or know if there are changes to the glass or procedure to install it updated?

My rear glass is all fixed :)

Report Card:

Schedule Appt: A+ (1 Week)
Approve Warranty Repair: A+ (Just had to send photo to a text message that they requested by sms after I scheduled an appt)
Part Availability: A+ (Already in stock)
Loaner: A+ (Loaned Model S Dual 85) Liked that car a lot.
Other Work: A+ (Asked address frozen charge port, happened once in winter, not critical, took my word for it, replaced with new rev]
Badge: A+ (Asked if I wanted Dual Motor Performance Badge and I said yes)
Glass Install: A+ (Looks factory)
Interior: C+

Several issues with interior.

Rear pillar covers (same color as headliner) running along the sides of the window had darker marks all over them.
I didn't choose the color for the headliner, Elon did. I prefer everything to be DARK (like the loaner S I had, very nice).
Light colors are a PITA.
I asked that they note it and I will attempt to clean it myself first. I used a "Janie" and they came 95% clean. Hard to notice.
There was a good bulge in one cover. I assumed they just missed a snap. Nope.

I took the cover off and found the problem. So glad I did.

There is a module for the rear defog behind that cover and some bulky cables.
The cable is supposed to be clipped to the body and keep it clear of that module.
It was not clipped in and running across the top of the module causing cover to bulge out, wait it gets better.
It was bulging right about where the rear window defrost wire attaches to the glass.

The clip was attached to the cable, but were does it go?
Wait there is hole with a cable clip in it, at just the right place with no cable attached !!

I yanked the orphaned cable clip out of the hole and plugged the clip with cable attached into the hole. Fixed !!
I suspect it was this way from the factory and they just manage to "tuck" the cable out the way without the cable clip fastened.

The glass repair guys didn't recognize this assembly error nor route the cable out of the way and just left the cover bulging.

It's important things are tidy here because there are air bags 6 inches away from that cable clip.

Since I took the cover off I could see the glass gluing and it looked very good.
I'm a little anxious to test that the rear defog all works.

Inside of new glass was pretty dirty. With spots of sticky stuff that took elbow grease to remove. I would rather they clean the new glass they just installed than add armorall to the tires. I hate armorall (or anything like it). I think shiny rubber looks stupid.

This is the cable with clip attached but not clipped anywhere (I unplugged cable here thinking I could remove the clip). But it was easier to pull out the other clip. See below.
47895424231_9987f082e4_b_d.jpg

This is where the cable should attach but it's occupied by a cable clip with no cable. I removed it and chucked it.
40929011653_c88b50f039_b_d.jpg

This is what it should look like. That mounting spot is the bottom of the rear defog module and the cable was on the right side of that module between the module and the cover.
40929011593_be7ffd674c_b_d.jpg

Sample of the darker marks, there was probably twenty marks like this. I even added a couple myself while fixing the cover because you pull a black rubber gasket out of the way then put your hand on the light colored cover and leave marks all over it.
40929011853_749e4ed3fa_b_d.jpg

Last edited:
Apparently there is a nationwide backorder on the rear glass (and likely many more parts). They ordered one for my fractured one on 5/10, and there is still no ETA yet.

They can crank out almost 7,000 Model 3s/week; it would be nice if they could divert some parts to customers with broken cars :eek:

Attachments

• Inbox__5_984.jpg
    Inbox__5_984.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 244
A common issue with rear glass cracking noticed mine is cracked during service center visit in March. Was supposed to bring it in to be fixed in April with an appointment, service center customer issues drove to SC for nothing because of the back order. Still waiting on the glass to come in.

Mine cracked near the bottom center like everyone else's. Looks like from the inside too. Mine is tinted over a year and I just noticed the crack a few days ago. Something is definitely wrong here.

Attachments

• 20190711_093753.jpg
    20190711_093753.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
My Model-3 is in *now* for service to get the rear glass replaced. I have no after-market tinting, and it appeared to have been caused by a stress. We did not debate about the cause, they just accepted my report (we noticed it over the passover holiday when the car wasn't being used). The lady at the service center said she used to get them more frequently. There were several cars last week waiting for rear-glass replacement (I was told, because they were waiting for the glass parts). They are targetting to get everything done same day, but it requires an overnight stay for curing.

I just had mine replaced no issue after I found 2 stress cracks. They even gave me a Model S loaner free for the 24hrs it took.

It took me 3 months from when I submitted my claim at the beginning of the year to when the glass actually got replaced. Telsa replaced the glass under warranty but wouldn't cover the cost of the re-tint. Their faulty product cost me an extra $250 but whatever, I'm over it now.

I was driving home this evening and noticed a crack in my rear glass. While I know this was a common issue, has anyone had luck with Tesla replacing the window that has window tint on it?

I just got it done last night and noticed the crack this morning. My fear is that they will claim the crack happened during tonite.
Yup. Been there, done that. Mine cracked about 3 months after purchasing. it's a defect with the robot pushing too hard on the glass. They replaced mine for free.

Just found this over the weekend, got a trip this next week. I'll have to wait until after for filing a warranty request for replacement.

You might want to get your self in the queue for the service center and a possible queue for back order.

I'd also get it "approved" now. If it's inside its easy to get warranty claim. If it's outside you may have to fight for it.
If it progresses, it might progress from inside to outside as well.

Swing by an SC now and get it all approved, ordered and scheduled for when you get back.

You might want to get your self in the queue for the service center and a possible queue for back order.

I'd also get it "approved" now. If it's inside its easy to get warranty claim. If it's outside you may have to fight for it.
If it progresses, it might progress from inside to outside as well.

Swing by an SC now and get it all approved, ordered and scheduled for when you get back.

Good to know, thanks.

I think the tint is a red herring.

Its a big piece of glass in a key torsional area. Glass doesnt flex much if at all. The M3 is one of the most rigid cars out there, but maybe not enough. Going over driveways at an angle may be enough body twist to stress and crack that glass.