Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear glass cracked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the tint is a red herring.

Its a big piece of glass in a key torsional area. Glass doesnt flex much if at all. The M3 is one of the most rigid cars out there, but maybe not enough. Going over driveways at an angle may be enough body twist to stress and crack that glass.

I agree, but I don’t think high angle driveway is as bad as jacking up the car from one corner on the body. Which is why I never jack my car up that way on any car.

I noticed a similar crack on the bottom of the back windshield. Appears to be on the inside. I got my windows tinted almost a year ago- should I try to take the tint off for it to be covered under warranty? It definitely looks like a stress crack.

MA Tesla owners won’t be a burden on Tesla. We have comprehensive coverage which covers all the glass on the car with the exception of the mirrors. I spoke with my agent yesterday to confirm this.

Does it say in your policy your covered better check it glass is only covered in an accident between cars I believe any break ins or damage by a rock or hail is a different matter

MA Tesla owners won’t be a burden on Tesla. We have comprehensive coverage which covers all the glass on the car with the exception of the mirrors. I spoke with my agent yesterday to confirm this.

I like to think Tesla shouldn't be a burden on insurance companies in MA (or any other state). We all pay for it one way or another, nothing is free. Tesla should be the one footing the bill on all this defective glass, period.

Wanted to post an update of my recent experience at tesla service:

-Had my front windshield cracked with almost a 2ft crack: Replaced, filed a claim with Insurance and waiting for reimbursement. I’m in FL so everything should be covered.

- Rear window had a stress crack: Tesla covered it under warranty even thought I had a tint on it. They covered it without any questions as the crack wasn’t caused by external impact.

Rattle noise behind the right passenger: Took a test drive with me, identified it and fixed it. Haven’t noticed it since.

I was under the impression I was going to get an Uber credit but they gave me a Model S loner. That was a pleasant surprise. They kept my car overnight to let the glass settle. They were pretty direct about the “no smoking or pets” in the car and also mentioned that if I did, I would only get over credit going forward.

Overall experience: Quiet Satisfied. They kept in touch throughout the progress of the repairs. I wish everyone else with similar experience. *Hope you don’t have both windshields cracked tho :)*

Reactions: Dariushd
Yep mine has cracked now too. Mine was caused by the rear demister getting super hot around one of the tracks. The heat deformed the glass and crack it!
waiting for the replacement but this is what happens if I put the rear screen on for just 10 seconds!

Attachments

• 3CEA5E9B-93DA-474C-82DA-098BEF5B6011.jpeg
    3CEA5E9B-93DA-474C-82DA-098BEF5B6011.jpeg
    277.2 KB · Views: 198
  • 8CAB5339-D3A9-459C-9F5E-C977AF9F9F3A.jpeg
    8CAB5339-D3A9-459C-9F5E-C977AF9F9F3A.jpeg
    139.9 KB · Views: 192
Yep mine has cracked now too. Mine was caused by the rear demister getting super hot around one of the tracks. The heat deformed the glass and crack it!
waiting for the replacement but this is what happens if I put the rear screen on for just 10 seconds!

I don't think it has anything to do with rear defroster. My crack was around the time I was not using the defroster. Folks have had cracks all over. But some are in common areas with a common pattern. Almost every time it involves an edge. The glass is either too thin or under stress. Tesla (or even any auto maker) tries to target as thin a glass as needed to meet the constraints. To save weight and cost. There is some info floating around (probably just from one service tech) that the robot that placed the glass pushed down to hard so the glass is not suspended on a cushion of sealer. Not sure if anyone has had a repeat failure. Or a failure on a recent build. They don't seem to be posted as often as they were.

What is the Build date of your car?

Here a post from a model 3 owner in The Netherlands. Just discovered a crack in my rear window as well. Car was manufactured in the beginning of May 2019.
I recently used the rear heater for the first time and I guess this caused the crack. Will visit the Service Center Tomorrow.
Barst in glazen dak Model 3

I’ve never used my defroster yet. I guess I’ll have to take a picture of my rear glass prior to turning on the defrost to show to SC if any issues occur.