Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear jump seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The email states new cars being manufactured from this point forward have this limitation and require decision. If you already have the car and/or it has already been manufactured, you still have the option to add it later at the higher labor cost.
And since you already signed a Final MVPA, your car is likely already built. So you can still proceed as you planned.

I certainly hope my S has already been built. But if it has, I'm surprised that the delivery estimate on my MVPA is March 25th. It's not like I'm in Maine or Key West. :wink:
Add to this the current conjecture that VIN numbers show up in the mobile app when the car has completed production, and that my VIN is not showing up there. This makes me think my car is not yet built.
Plus, I contacted the Denver service center on Tuesday, and they said they're not installing jump seats post-production.
And still no reply to either email about the jump seats.
Time to call the main number.

Grumble grumble. I just signed my Final MVPA (it doesn't include the jump seats), and have not yet received the email about the jump seats being factory-install only. Back in January, I asked about post-production installation, and they said it was possible, albeit for a higher cost due to labor. I even followed up on that email this past Tuesday, but have not received a response. I just sent another email, this time to ownership & buildmymodels, asking what can be done. Hopefully they'll send another Final MVPA with the jump seats included at factory install price. Grumble grumble.

I agree with the previous poster. If you didn't get the email I don't think it applies to you. It's not necessarily that it's already built, but they needed a cutoff for whatever change they are making, and that cutoff needs to allow time for anybody notified to make the change. Since it's too late for you to make the change, you are before the cutoff.

I agree with the previous poster. If you didn't get the email I don't think it applies to you. It's not necessarily that it's already built, but they needed a cutoff for whatever change they are making, and that cutoff needs to allow time for anybody notified to make the change. Since it's too late for you to make the change, you are before the cutoff.

Update: I called ownership & spoke with a very helpful associate named Sean (Shawn? Shaun?). A few people that would be affected by the change may not have received the email. He got in touch with Sales & they're determining what needs to be done for those people. Thanks to ddruz/David for posting here, or I would not have known about it. Hopefully the remedy won't be too painful.

I think there may be this gray area of people like me - My car just finished production and is already on its way out here. They told me that I cannot have the child seats installed later at a service center. If it is indeed hardware related, I would assume this 'switch' to the 2nd row that cannot be retrofitted has already happened. Those of you who already have had their car before that switch may still be able to do it. Those of you whose cars have not yet hit the production line can still add it to their order and those are the people that got that email. But if you are like me, where you didn't get the email, and the switch has likely already occurred, then you are screwed and cannot have it installed later. The other thread on this http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/14384-3rd-Row-Child-Seats-Now-Factory-Only someone said that they were told cars with VIN #'s higher than 54xx cannot have it done. as I am 5837 that leave me as one of the screwed people. Leads me to believe that switch already occurred and theres a few hundred of us that cannot have this done aftermarket and were never given an option to add it to our order.

I don't have any direct information as to the first VIN subject to this change. It could very well be 542x, as noted above in this thread. I certainly hope that is not the case, as there are several here with higher VINs who did not receive the email, including myself.

I sent another email to ownership & buildmymodels today, and got a response. I'm quite pleased that they responded on a Saturday. They are going to try to get the jump seats added to my order. I certainly hope they can.

Sending an email to those affected explaining the situation was a good decision. Hopefully that email was sent to all those affected, before the change was made, with enough time to change their orders, especially for those of us who were told directly that the rear-facing jump seats could be installed later.

It's all about managing expectations.

I don't have any direct information as to the first VIN subject to this change. It could very well be 542x, as noted above in this thread. I certainly hope that is not the case, as there are several here with higher VINs who did not receive the email, including myself.

I sent another email to ownership & buildmymodels today, and got a response. I'm quite pleased that they responded on a Saturday. They are going to try to get the jump seats added to my order. I certainly hope they can.

Sending an email to those affected explaining the situation was a good decision. Hopefully that email was sent to all those affected, before the change was made, with enough time to change their orders, especially for those of us who were told directly that the rear-facing jump seats could be installed later.

It's all about managing expectations.

I called to clarify this and was told that that email only went out to a specific subgroup of people whose cars have been configured but not yet reached production line (makes sense). But it sounds to me like they were halting the aftermarket installation for everyone, regardless of what you were told or if you were an early owner. I asked for further clarify on this as to why we were told it was possible, and there email clearly said that they used to do it. It's a simple question I asked her, please explain the reasoning why this is is no longer possible to do aftermarket install at service center and to clarify whether or not this is only for people going forward. She said she would escalate the question up the chain, and ask them if an exception would be made for people who already have their cars, and she also said that they (meaning DS's and higher ups) have meetings coming up to make a more 'formal statement' or response to reach a decision or something like that, whatever that means. My take on it is that they are still internally debating on whether or not to offer this aftermarket to early adopters. Perhaps this is a safety issue, or some government regulation about converting cars to hold more people, or maybe a technical design change like others have speculated above ... hopefully they'll clear this up soon. I think we all need to keep pinging them on this.

There's another way to drive a Performance Model S? Do tell.

I'm sorry, but I thought the performance S manual said that for maximum fun level, you have to put the pedal to the metal off every stop light, and keep cruise control set above 85mph on highways. I think there was some small discreet print in there too about keeping puke bags handy for the passengers like airlines do. I mean, it does take off like a jet anyway so that all makes sense now.

Anyone have an update on ordering seats post delivery? I've emailed Ownership Experience and haven't heard anything back.

Rear child seats are factory-installed only. You cannot purchase them and have them installed post-delivery. It is unfortunate, because lots of people were told otherwise. They never did give anyone a reason why. If you did purchase them, service centers can disconnect them or put them back in. But they will not 'convert' a car to install them (there are cut outs and clips and stuff). The two most likely reasons is that 1) the hardware is simply not there (2nd row seats are different due to a bar embedded inside of them meant for the clips), and 2) theres possible some safety regulation making this conversion illegal. Who knows. But there is no budging on this one :(

Rear child seats are factory-installed only. You cannot purchase them and have them installed post-delivery. It is unfortunate, because lots of people were told otherwise. They never did give anyone a reason why. If you did purchase them, service centers can disconnect them or put them back in. But they will not 'convert' a car to install them (there are cut outs and clips and stuff). The two most likely reasons is that 1) the hardware is simply not there (2nd row seats are different due to a bar embedded inside of them meant for the clips), and 2) theres possible some safety regulation making this conversion illegal. Who knows. But there is no budging on this one :(

...going forward.

My jump seats are still a due bill. Of all the things not ready when I got my car, this is the one that annoys me the most. I desperately want my jump seats installed.

Anyone have an update on ordering seats post delivery? I've emailed Ownership Experience and haven't heard anything back.

Hmm. If the reason is a production change for required hardware, and that change happened around VIN 542x, and since a previous post from you says your VIN was prior to that, you might, might be lucky. And today is the luckiest day of the year, what with all the four-leafed clovers. You should call the Costa Mesa service center and corporate, and ask whether the seats can be installed in your particular car, given it's VIN is lower than 542x. But as yobigd20 says, there might be a safety/regulatory reason they can't be installed post-production. So, unfortunately, you might be S.O.L. But it doesn't hurt to ask again.

Hmm. If the reason is a production change for required hardware, and that change happened around VIN 542x, and since a previous post from you says your VIN was prior to that, you might, might be lucky. And today is the luckiest day of the year, what with all the four-leafed clovers. You should call the Costa Mesa service center and corporate, and ask whether the seats can be installed in your particular car, given it's VIN is lower than 542x. But as yobigd20 says, there might be a safety/regulatory reason they can't be installed post-production. So, unfortunately, you might be S.O.L. But it doesn't hurt to ask again.

I've already asked them this for VIN's less than 54xx and they still said "not anymore, sorry." They still wouldn't give me an answer when I asked "WHY?". :(