Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear jump seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The rear facing seats were quite popular at the Cars and Coffee event in St Pete this weekend

SheLikesIt(2).jpg

Six Model Ses in a row.
SixSclose(2).jpg

Anyone else still waiting for the rear seats, or am I the only one? I've still not heard anything official from Tesla about what their plan is: will they come and install it at my house, >2000 km away from a service centre, or what? I have emailed various Tesla employees and after that produced no real info I called the 1800 number and put in a service request (for more than just the seats, but it included that) and was told a week and a half ago that I'd be contacted in a few days... Nothing yet. I don't want a repeat of my delivery experience.

Still waiting on mine, VIN 2547. Tesla is sending a ranger out my way for someone else's service issue, and they say they wish they could install my rear seats on the same trip, but they haven't received them yet.

Meanwhile, my daughter continues to grow, and threatens to outgrow them before I get them installed!

Still waiting on mine, VIN 2547. Tesla is sending a ranger out my way for someone else's service issue, and they say they wish they could install my rear seats on the same trip, but they haven't received them yet.

Meanwhile, my daughter continues to grow, and threatens to outgrow them before I get them installed!

I'm VIN S 542 and still waiting on mine. I was told that they're starting to ship them out to the service centers for installation, but it may be awhile before they clear the backlog. They're trying to send all new cars out from the factory without any "due bill", so that's why all cars from the factory have things (like rear seats) that we're still waiting for. I'm personally not a fan of this approach, but understand why Tesla is doing it. I have a friend who took delivery a couple of weeks ago, and it seems wrong on many levels that he has the seats and I don't.

I, too, worry that every day my kids (particularly my older ones) will get less use out of the rear seats the longer this takes, but like all things Tesla, patience should be rewarded and I'm sure once I have my seats I (and my kids) will be thrilled with them.

@KBF -- I'm sure they'll send a ranger out to you. I think they're trying to send the seats out in the order the cars were delivered, so that probably means it'll be a few more weeks, at least, if I'm still waiting on mine. My understanding is that it's a fairly complex installation (unlike the parcel shelf, for example), so it takes some time to do, which will also delay this until they clear the backlog.

Rear child seats henceforth only factory installed

Just received the following email from Tesla at 9:38 HST (11:38 PST) indicating change in policy regarding installation of the rear child seats. Those with them as a due bill item will undoubtedly still get theirs installed at their service centers but new orders will henceforth only have the option for a factory install.

Dear David,

You are receiving this email because your Tesla Model S order does not include Rear Facing 3rd Row Child Seats. We are making a change regarding installation of this option and want you to be aware of this change as soon as possible.

On all cars produced from this point forward, Rear Facing Child Seats will be available only as a "factory installed" option. They will no longer be available as an aftermarket option through our Service Department.

These specially designed child seats are the ideal way to add more passenger space to your Model S while doing something that will make your kids smile. Children love having their own special place to enjoy the ride in Model S. These seats are equipped with five-point harness seat belts for safety and fold completely flat when not in use. It's the best of both worlds, room for two more passengers and fold away storage when not in use.

We are communicating this change now in case you would like to add this option to your order. If you would like to add Rear Facing Child Seats to your order, please let us know by this Tuesday, March 5th at [email protected] or at 888.771.2505. We will confirm your change and update your order right away.

There is no need to respond to this update if you'd like to proceed forward without the addition of Rear Facing Child Seats. Your Model S order will continue to production as originally planned.

Thank you for your attention to this update. We look forward to getting you behind the wheel of your Model S soon!

Tesla Motors

Anyone else still waiting for the rear seats, or am I the only one? I've still not heard anything official from Tesla about what their plan is: will they come and install it at my house, >2000 km away from a service centre, or what? I have emailed various Tesla employees and after that produced no real info I called the 1800 number and put in a service request (for more than just the seats, but it included that) and was told a week and a half ago that I'd be contacted in a few days... Nothing yet. I don't want a repeat of my delivery experience.

Steinbach might just be a bit outside their usual market range and comfort zone :smile:. Kudos to you for bringing this car to the prairies, but I expect your service experience will be consistently below average.

I'm from Lockport myself.

Rear child seats henceforth only factory installed

Just received the following email from Tesla at 9:38 HST (11:38 PST) indicating change in policy regarding installation of the rear child seats. Those with them as a due bill item will undoubtedly still get theirs installed at their service centers but new orders will henceforth only have the option for a factory install.

Does anyone have any idea why?

Just speculating: Now that the seats are available it's more cost and labor efficient to do it this way.
More specifically I would think that they now source 2 different sets of 2nd row seats: one built for the 3rd row, and one not (whereas in the past they were all the same). And there must be a significant enough unit cost difference to want to have the two different ones. So, instead of installing the more expensive seats in all cars, even if the 3rd rows seats weren't ordered, they can install the lower cost seats.

It's nice that they have made this communication and are giving us the option to change our orders. I have 2 questions coming out of this:
1. Will my change of selection make a difference in my delivery date? I.e. if I choose now will it delay or quicken my delivery date?
2. (Apologize if this was covered upthread) Can the 3rd row seats be removed by the owner for intermittent use? I have a 2 YO and another on the way. So, I am a prime candidate for having them - someday, probably 2 years from now. I didn't order them because I want the trunk space since they wont get used much in the short term, esp. if I have to lug a double stroller around. By the time I would use them, then i wouldnt need the double stroller and space would be less an issue.

So, I would be inclined to add them if it won't delay my order and they can be owner-removed and re-installed as needed.

Edit: I forgot to mention, I got the same email last night.

Last edited:
It could also be a risk/liability mitigation strategy. Tesla likely has better controls at the factory, and can insure the seats are installed correctly. It's much more difficult to insure all of the service centers and ranger are doing so correctly.

As I posted above, my guess is its more than that. Not being an option I think is likely due to a change in design and sourcing than just a desire to not do it. Either that or there something in the safety certification that can't be done later and they don't want to open themselves for liability of if its added on later. But my money is on a new cheaper part for those that don't have it. We can confirm that when people start to receive the cars that 'can't have it added'.

Yeah, this is just odd. It can't be a labor thing as this kind of after-delivery install work is hugely profitable for auto service centers, Tesla included. They have provided a steady stream of upgrades for the Roadster and have helped keep the Service Centers busy and funded. The Service folks love when this kind of work walks in the door.

So I would tend to agree w/ jomo25 that not having the hardware in there saves them money somehow. However I would think that removing the install points would mean changes to the 2nd row seat and structural members in the rear cargo area and would have an impact on crash testing. I'm in the same boat as he w/ a 2-year-old and another on the way so I won't need the seats for a couple years. I was planning to buy some from a member here when their kids outgrew them. Hopefully since I have an early car mine still has all the hardware to install them.

Grumble grumble. I just signed my Final MVPA (it doesn't include the jump seats), and have not yet received the email about the jump seats being factory-install only. Back in January, I asked about post-production installation, and they said it was possible, albeit for a higher cost due to labor. I even followed up on that email this past Tuesday, but have not received a response. I just sent another email, this time to ownership & buildmymodels, asking what can be done. Hopefully they'll send another Final MVPA with the jump seats included at factory install price. Grumble grumble.

My daughter is 2-months old today. We didn't order the seats because it will be years before she's able to use them, and we were told that they can be added later (with additional labor costs). We took delivery last Friday, so I think we're still okay for post-factory installation in the future??

Grumble grumble. I just signed my Final MVPA (it doesn't include the jump seats), and have not yet received the email about the jump seats being factory-install only. Back in January, I asked about post-production installation, and they said it was possible, albeit for a higher cost due to labor. I even followed up on that email this past Tuesday, but have not received a response. I just sent another email, this time to ownership & buildmymodels, asking what can be done. Hopefully they'll send another Final MVPA with the jump seats included at factory install price. Grumble grumble.

The email states new cars being manufactured from this point forward have this limitation and require decision. If you already have the car and/or it has already been manufactured, you still have the option to add it later at the higher labor cost.

And since you already signed a Final MVPA, your car is likely already built. So you can still proceed as you planned.