Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Roof Glass Cracked - Tesla not covering aftermarket tint & coating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Issues after issues.. here's the latest one: a stress crack similar to those posted in [1], [2], [3]. Tesla Service got back to me after I made a service appointment and I sent them pictures. A technician will confirm that it is under warranty.

Here's the rub: I have my back glass tinted and with Ceramic Pro coating and the first word from the service rep is that they will NOT be covering the aftermarket tint and coating. I am curious if anyone else has received similar responses under similar situation. This is also a PSA for anyone else considering getting aftermarket tint/coating done.

Getting the tint/coating redone out of my own pocket won't be cheap. Granted, I do still love the car.

Okay, I was unreasonable. I appreciate the perspective and correcting of my original expectations. I did not mean to sound entitled if that is what my original post came off as. I admit I was frustrated with the fixes/time-in-the-shop this car has needed and that came through in my writing of the original post.

Maybe this experience will also help inform others. If any aftermarket tint would have had a chance to void warranty and if I knew stress-cracking was something the rear glass was prone to, then I definitely would not have decided to get the work done.

Okay, I was unreasonable. I appreciate the perspective and correcting of my original expectations. I did not mean to sound entitled if that is what my original post came off as. I admit I was frustrated with the fixes/time-in-the-shop this car has needed and that came through in my writing of the original post.

Maybe this experience will also help inform others. If any aftermarket tint would have had a chance to void warranty and if I knew stress-cracking was something the rear glass was prone to, then I definitely would not have decided to get the work done.
Wait, this is not clear. Are you saying that the aftermarket tint voided the warranty on the glass, or that they would not cover replacing the tint as part of the glass warranty work?

Are you saying that the aftermarket tint voided the warranty on the glass, or that they would not cover replacing the tint as part of the glass warranty work?
I believe the OP is saying the latter, not the former.

Many people tint their glass, sides and/or roof. Including me. There have been posts over the years on TMC of Tesla having to replace roof glass under warranty but Tesla would not pay to replace the tint, they would only cover the glass if they determined it had cracked and therefore it was defective (as opposed to cracking because of the impact in an accident).

If a manufacturer really wanted I think they could deny warranty claims on tinted glass. Ceramic coating I see no issue with

I see it more as not being responsible for replacing anything one might stick to the glass. People put cartoon family stickers, religious stickers (ixoye fish), Parking permits, "baby on board" stickers, etc., etc. So You stuck plastic film. And the window broke. I don't think the film broke the window. If you had painted the car pink and put ceramic clear coat on the whole car and then the front fender fell off, again, Tesla is responsible for their part, not the paint or clear coat. Now, your insurance might pay for that. I don't know. If a rock hit your window, insurance would cover the window and film.

Never heard of any warranty work cover replacing tint let alone ceramic coating for glass.

I would say you are wildly unreasonable to think they should.

Frankly you should be happy if they warranty it atall after it has been aftermarket tinted.

Tesla is under no obligation to pay you to replace that.

Maybe you should stop drinking whiole milk thinking Tesla would cover your aftermarket tint and ceramic coating. I have never heard any car manufacturer would cover these items under their warranty.

Tesla used to pay for replacement tint if you had warranty work. I had some trouble with my pano roof on my 2013 S, and they thought they might have to replace it. I asked about the tint I had applied, and they told me they would reimburse me the cost of re-applying the tint if they had to replace the glass. Luckily, they didn’t replace the glass, so I didn’t have to test the tint replacement offer.

So, I don’t think the OP is crazy, Tesla has done this for Model S customers in the past.

Issues after issues.. here's the latest one: a stress crack similar to those posted in [1], [2], [3]. Tesla Service got back to me after I made a service appointment and I sent them pictures. A technician will confirm that it is under warranty.

Here's the rub: I have my back glass tinted and with Ceramic Pro coating and the first word from the service rep is that they will NOT be covering the aftermarket tint and coating. I am curious if anyone else has received similar responses under similar situation. This is also a PSA for anyone else considering getting aftermarket tint/coating done.

Getting the tint/coating redone out of my own pocket won't be cheap. Granted, I do still love the car.
some manufactures will not warranty after market modifications.

The comparison of tint to stickers is foolish and shortsighted.
Tint on the inside absorbs/reflects energy(reflects back thru the glass), BOTH of those things create heat build up in the glass, a small sticker doesn't do this.

Tesla may have at one point bent over backwards and paid for tint replacement but that was early on when they had to make sure everyone was very happy no matter how unrealistic. Footprint is bigger today they have a lot of happy customers they don't have to work so hard to please every person.

Tesla may have at one point bent over backwards and paid for tint replacement but that was early on when they had to make sure everyone was very happy no matter how unrealistic. Footprint is bigger today they have a lot of happy customers they don't have to work so hard to please every person.

Like Apple 10 years ago. Crack an iPhone screen even out of warranty (not that drops are warranty repairs anyway) and they usually replaced or even gave refurbished model in 5 minutes. Today it'll cost $500.

Reactions: Futuresystem
I was worried you were going to say they weren't covering the glass because it cracked due to tint. You are being unreasonable about asking them to cover the tint and coating. The tint actually cause the car to sit hotter by 10 to 20 degrees, but Tesla should have designed the glass to withstand stronger heat so this is not an issue. As noted above, the tint absorbs heat and reflect it back through the glass so the glass is taking additional stress. Check your Tesla app before and after tint install, you will see interior temp is higher than before.

Your car and it's paint was done with ceramic pro. Glass doesn't normally get a ceramic coating, unless you are referring to ceramic pro rain (hydrophobic). That coating only lasts 12 months anyways. So not really sure what you are referring to for glass "coating"

tint does have to be replaced but that should only be ~$300 or so at most.