Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Trunk height override?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am having same problem When received my new X 10 days ago at the dealership they set a new opening height but it is too low and I hit my head on the trunk repeatedly the dealership could not change the height opening and said it was a software problem Is anyone else having a problem setting a different trunk opening height is there really a software glitch?

I have tried to adjust the opening of the trunk (back) and cannot seem to get it to reprogram. I push it manually nowhere I want it to open, push the button and wait for the sound (one beep). Then close it. When opening again, it goes back to pre positioned height. Any suggestions?

For some reason today the whole thing functioned I was able to set the proper height I have no idea why this didn't work before
Is it possible that it has to be reset when the car doesn't detect an overhead obstruction? That is, if it thinks it's in indoor mode, and you program it to open higher, maybe that doesn't get saved. I reprogrammed mine after the recent update, but did so out in my driveway. It worked the first time.

• Helpful
Reactions: MisterT2
Is it possible that it has to be reset when the car doesn't detect an overhead obstruction? That is, if it thinks it's in indoor mode, and you program it to open higher, maybe that doesn't get saved. I reprogrammed mine after the recent update, but did so out in my driveway. It worked the first time.
Thanks Ohmman. Yes, mine worked yesterday when I performed the maneuver outside with no obstructions. Learn something new every day....

Strange. I received my X back from the sc, and my rear trunk only opens slightly more than half way. I pushed the trunk to ny desired height, then held down the button for 3 seconds in which a beep would indicate the adjusted default height. However, upon testing it by closing and opening, the height is still at the mid level. Tried resetting it 4 other times and my X is not remembering my deaired height. Any help would be appreciated

Strange. I received my X back from the sc, and my rear trunk only opens slightly more than half way. I pushed the trunk to ny desired height, then held down the button for 3 seconds in which a beep would indicate the adjusted default height. However, upon testing it by closing and opening, the height is still at the mid level. Tried resetting it 4 other times and my X is not remembering my deaired height. Any help would be appreciated
Are you testing this outside with no obstacles or in a garage with a detectable ceiling? If the latter, you need to tell the car it's OK to open fully at this location. I believe the prompt only comes up on your center screen if you open a FwD, but the setting also applies to the rear trunk.

I see the same behavior with mine.

Are you testing this outside with no obstacles or in a garage with a detectable ceiling? If the latter, you need to tell the car it's OK to open fully at this location. I believe the prompt only comes up on your center screen if you open a FwD, but the setting also applies to the rear trunk.

Yes I am. Indoor and outdoor, it is reacting the same. Ugh...another trip to sc

This isn't just … how it works? I, too, am very annoyed with the unbelievably-low ‘maximum opening height’; and got really excited when, elsewhere on these forums, somebody mentioned the press-and-hold-to-set behaviour.

Only to discover that it has no effect above the wildly-low default setting my Model X arrived with?

Yes I am. Indoor and outdoor, it is reacting the same. Ugh...another trip to sc

Would you (and, ditto anybody else in this thread, with a probably-normal one) mind posting a photo of yours with it opened to the maximum height you can set it to, outside? I'm trying to figure out whether mine is abnormal, or not.

The more I look into this, the more confusing it seems to be. This is what I have determined right now but this can easily change in a SW upgrade.

If your car detects an overhead obstruction (like in your garage), even if you pull it out of the garage and are within it's geofence (ie 30ft?), it will still behave like the obstruction is there. Even when there is no obstruction present or shown on the control panel.

I have not done extensive testing on this yet but this seems to be how mine is behaving.

And to the best of my ability the former process or resetting the height of the trunk with the long button hold and beep on gives you a beep now. No setting of a height occurs.

If your car detects an overhead obstruction (like in your garage), even if you pull it out of the garage and are within it's geofence (ie 30ft?), it will still behave like the obstruction is there. Even when there is no obstruction present or shown on the control panel.

This is correct, and it's the way the falcon wing doors work as well. The software seems to do some kind of buffering so that if you pass, for instance, a low hanging beam in a parking garage, the doors will not open if they don't sense it immediately afterwards. This showed up as a workaround to the "crunch" issues.

The geofence issue I'm having is that I have two garages in two separate buildings on my property. If I set the X to "open fully in this location" in one garage (where it is safe), it still thinks it's fine to open fully in the other garage (where it is not safe). So I have to keep it off in both garages and deal with droopy wings.

The geofence issue I'm having is that I have two garages in two separate buildings on my property. If I set the X to "open fully in this location" in one garage (where it is safe), it still thinks it's fine to open fully in the other garage (where it is not safe). So I have to keep it off in both garages and deal with droopy wings.

‘Droopy wings’ is now my second-favourite Tesla-related phrase (coming in directly after “spaceboat” as slang for the Model X.)

Having same problem resetting a new opening height! It opens to low and I can't get stuff in and out easily because it is half open. Tried this process multiple times even outdoor at a different location and still the trunk doesn't open to the new opening height....

Anyone tried this one? The X manual refers to overriding the low opening height in a specific location on the Touchscreen:

If Model X detects a low ceiling, it opens the trunk (and falcon wing doors) to a lower height, even if no obstacle is detected. If you override this height on the touchscreen, Model X remembers your choice from your location.
The next time you open the falcon wing doors in this location, Model X opens them to the height you saved.

The manual also of course has the manually open, and hold the button until you hear the chime override example (I've done this myself on a demo car); however this sounds like it's an override lower, not higher:

Adjusting the Opening Height
You can adjust the opening height of the powered liftgate to make it easier to reach:
1. Open the liftgate, then manually lower it to the desired opening height.
2. Press and hold the button on the underside of the liftgate for two seconds
until you hear a confirmation chime.
3. Confirm that you have set it to the desired height by closing the liftgate, then reopening it.

Anyone tried this one? The X manual refers to overriding the low opening height in a specific location on the Touchscreen:

If Model X detects a low ceiling, it opens the trunk (and falcon wing doors) to a lower height, even if no obstacle is detected. If you override this height on the touchscreen, Model X remembers your choice from your location.
The next time you open the falcon wing doors in this location, Model X opens them to the height you saved.

The manual also of course has the manually open, and hold the button until you hear the chime override example (I've done this myself on a demo car); however this sounds like it's an override lower, not higher:

Adjusting the Opening Height
You can adjust the opening height of the powered liftgate to make it easier to reach:
1. Open the liftgate, then manually lower it to the desired opening height.
2. Press and hold the button on the underside of the liftgate for two seconds
until you hear a confirmation chime.
3. Confirm that you have set it to the desired height by closing the liftgate, then reopening it.
I can verify that this procedure doesn't remember a higher setting. Haven't tried to set it lower as it opens pretty low in my garage to begin with.

I can verify that this procedure doesn't remember a higher setting. Haven't tried to set it lower as it opens pretty low in my garage to begin with.
It sounds like the hatch button override is to make it open lower so short people can grab it more easily (global setting?), and the touchscreen setting was for one location to tell it was okay to actually open higher there. But I saw a thread or two (and just now one on reddit) where the screen override for 'too low, go higher' was missing now in 8.1. Bug or feature, I guess we aren't sure?

It sounds like the hatch button override is to make it open lower so short people can grab it more easily (global setting?), and the touchscreen setting was for one location to tell it was okay to actually open higher there. But I saw a thread or two (and just now one on reddit) where the screen override for 'too low, go higher' was missing now in 8.1. Bug or feature, I guess we aren't sure?

We picked up our MX the Friday before 8.1 rolled out. I was able to get the back opening fully by setting the location as full open and holding the button till it beeped. It was a bit confusing realizing I had to select full open. Now I see you mentioned 8.1. The update introduced an interesting bug that made the screen buttons for FWD disappear, which was fixed in a patch we downloaded Monday. It's possible the patch also fixed the issue you describe. It definitely restored the full open and FWD screen buttons when inside a garage.